JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a week goes by that we do not get the question about what clubs are made in the US. The answer is not many. With that said, a lot happens here from a number of putters being done, some shafts being done, assembly taking place and nearly all of the design work.

With the latest delays hitting golf for a myriad of reasons from components being available to cargo disasters combined with higher costs to bring things back to America, the question is being asked quite a bit more. Could a major golf equipment company bring their manufacturing back to the US?

Is it merely a cost strategy or are there a few regulations that would need to change as well? Finally, viewing other items made elsewhere vs what is made domestically, is there a quality conversation?

Sound Off Below.

Untitled-26.jpg

Continue reading...

I am a big fan of American made. Yes, the cost would increase, but as a whole I think it would be worth it. If we can do golf balls, golf companies can do irons and other clubs profitable.

I would go with US made. I've been trying with most of our purchasing decisions but it is very difficult. Our son works for a major snow sports equipment company and they have begun bringing their manufacturing back on shore.

Could someone bring back all or most manufacturing back to the states, absolutely but there's a reason they don't. Not being in this specific industry I don't have numbers or data to back it up but it goes to reason, for me at least, there's a monetary decision involved in that.

It's kind of funny though, when I was consulting for China in the metals platform they always thought that products Made in U.S.A. were high quality and great products, often we see things that are Made in China and we assume they are knock offs or low quality.

There was a reason that America was moving away from doing things like large amount of hot rolled or cold rolled steel in our country and outsourcing. Not only did more raw materials come from there, it was also cheaper to do the work start to finish then ship them all over.

I kind of assume it's the same way with regards to other items, when you combine in possible cheaper material costs with our employment regulation standards it may be cost prohibitive for some companies to really mass produce in America.

I think it would be hard. The manufacturing cost advantages are too large overseas. It seems for large scale production the investment would be too big to overcome.

I too like American made, but I also like Adam Smith, who's basic premise (I think) was why pay more than you have to for things, if it means you then can't get other things that you may need (or want).

In so far as making clubs in the US, I tend to think the cost would apply to 2 things, start up manufacturing and regulations, more than anything else. If my irons can be made in some foreign country at a price that is 25% less (or possibly even less), that's a lot of money left over for balls, shirts, tee times, food, drink, etc. Conversely, lower that difference to say 10% - a provable 10% or less and I'm going to be one of the first in line to demo those American made products because, like I presume anyone (who is American) would prefer American made goods.

Frankly though, I would see it as niche or boutique product and likely to not be a good fit for me (not the target performance - but, that's a guess). I think there are many other products that could be manufactured in the US that have a larger buying audience and a larger benefit well before golf clubs, where the competition to make them at a similar price point could become too difficult.

I’m a firm believer that quality products can and are made right here in this great country. IMO there is no reason why one of the major manufactures couldn’t move there production back to the states. There are very qualified people in the country to make the needed components. Would really like to get political here but will refrain. Having components made in foreign markets is just the easy way. Its the normal way now. Wish things were different. If a company wanted to spend the time and resources it could be done. Would they be able to compete with foreign made products price wise might be difficult. Could they compete quality wise yes without a doubt.

• Admin
I too like American made, but I also like Adam Smith, who's basic premise (I think) was why pay more than you have to for things, if it means you then can't get other things that you may need (or want).

As a general consumer that is true. Diving in deeper should have correlations though. More workers created, should less tax increases and fees in other items. With that said, taxes very rarely go down, so you have to assume it would be wasted spent elsewhere.

I have to think there is a big market for made locally.

If there wasn't, I don't think you'd see "assembled in America" on anything. That seems more marketing than anything.

I’d like to see it, but I wouldn’t be willing to pay substantially more for it unless there was a correlating increase in quality.

As a general consumer that is true. Diving in deeper should have correlations though. More workers created, should less tax increases and fees in other items. With that said, taxes very rarely go down, so you have to assume it would be wasted spent elsewhere.
100% agree.

I think regulations are the biggest obstacle, followed by raw materials, then start up costs, i think training and personnel are lower in the list.

Two major issues. 1) Americans are addicted to cheap stuff. Yes some buy on value but overall people are drawn to the cheapest. See the success of Wal-Mart.

2) most corporations have no purpose other than to enrich shareholders. We need more employee-owned companies whose goal is to build better lives for their employees while producing high quality products. The beer industry has had great success with this model.

When US workers are willing to get $2 an hour with no additional benefits or safe factory conditions, they'd still have to compete with countries who pay $1 an hour.

I'd love to see it happen, but I just can't see a scenario where it can or will. Seems like too many obstacles involved.

maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but i couldn't care less whether something is american made. i just want a quality product at a good price.

What components are made in the US? I would think a large iron forging plant or a metal casting plant could probably produce the majority of the heads needed for the entire US golf industry fairly easily. Then you have to look at cost of higher labor verses cost of transport.

One problem in the US is that our population is shrinking. It's going to be real difficult to bring more work to our country from overseas with a shrinking and aging population. We were near full employment before the pandemic and we will be close to that again in short order. Amazon in our area has already churned through so many of these same types of workers they are allowing people they fired to come back and work for them and giving them more money the second go around.

Forget the country because this could probably apply to anywhere in the world in terms of manufacturing

I liken it to DIY in some ways - why do something yourself if you can pay someone skilled in the task to carry out the same work for the same cost as it would cost you to purchase all of the equipment and materials needed to do the job. Yes, you may be able to do the job, but is it going to be as good as the skilled tradesman?

Another point to consider, does the country have the raw materials they need for the production? If not, how much is it going to cost to import it? All of these costs add up and for some countries it just doesn't make sense financially to try and start a mass scale production based on the possible income it will generate

Golf clubs are perhaps not the best example, but pure market economics are distorted influenced by national policies, including national manufacturing strategies, trade protectionism, regulations, and taxation.

I suspected trouble about 20 years ago when I was changing a bulb in the bathroom light fixture. When I double-checked the GE bulb to be sure I had the correct wattage, it bore the phrase "MADE IN CHINA." Think about that - it was cheaper to make that bulb in China and essentially ship air 8,000 miles than it was to make it in Nela Park in Cleveland and ship domestically. There's no doubt those national policies influence those comparative economics.

I'm an Adam Smith/Milton Friedman guy as well, but there things such as second-order and higher effects. When the US imports over 95% of things like N95 masks, pharmaceuticals, and rare earth elements that go into the magnets used in everything from EVs to smart bombs, IMO those examples beg for a cohesive national manufacturing strategy. Not a centrally planned economy, but a deliberate plan to subsidize the things we want/need to produce more of and to tax the things we want/need less of.

That said, I would pay a premium for domestically produced clubs. I might pay as much as 20%.

It's really a combination of factors that prevent OEMs from moving manufacturing back to our shores. Obviously, the cheap labor market overseas is one of the key advantages to producing raw materials, components and finished goods there. Everyone wants a $25 minimum wage until it severely impacts their purchasing power. I always laugh at my fellow Harley riders who scream "Buy American" when half the bike parts are made overseas, not to mention every ounce of clothing on them and their cell phones.:rolleyes:

Regulatory hurdles are another huge issue! Asian countries use lip service regarding reducing the pollution their factories cause, but they don't have an EPA nor the climate activists that would try to shut them down here in the US.

Finally, most OEMs are public companies that have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to grow their profits quarter after quarter and the costs to build factories here and pay a living wage would severely cut into profits that higher club prices could not offset.

Last edited:
What components are made in the US? I would think a large iron forging plant or a metal casting plant could probably produce the majority of the heads needed for the entire US golf industry fairly easily. Then you have to look at cost of higher labor verses cost of transport.

One problem in the US is that our population is shrinking. It's going to be real difficult to bring more work to our country from overseas with a shrinking and aging population. We were near full employment before the pandemic and we will be close to that again in short order. Amazon in our area has already churned through so many of these same types of workers they are allowing people they fired to come back and work for them and giving them more money the second go around.

True Temper Shafts are American Made.
Many of the putters that are considered premium are American Made.

Im curious about our population shrinking thing though. Based on census that isnt the case, but there is a predictor that it might shrink for the first time ever on record due to the pandemic. Although data is not out yet, right?

American labor costs too much comparatively. I think it could be a viable thing, for a boutique company.

True Temper Shafts are American Made.
Many of the putters that are considered premium are American Made.

Im curious about our population shrinking thing though. Based on census that isnt the case, but there is a predictor that it might shrink for the first time ever on record due to the pandemic. Although data is not out yet, right?

The last long-term forecast I saw showed two large countries showing population gains through 2050 - the US and India. Russia and Japan in particular were predicted to be facing major challenges. IIRC, this was before China reversed its one child policy.

The last long-term forecast I saw showed two large countries showing population gains through 2050 - the US and India. Russia and Japan in particular were predicted to be facing major challenges. IIRC, this was before China reversed its one child policy.
I just read an article this morning saying the forecast for the first time on record was a shrinking population in the US, but it was not determined yet (Census will be done of course). I expect that with the pandemic and tighter rules. That is pretty short term though.

I love my country but I honestly don't care where my stuff is made as long as the quality is there. I would like to see more American made, but until we fix structural issues in the political spectrum I don't see a shift back like everyone is hoping for.

I just read an article this morning saying the forecast for the first time on record was a shrinking population in the US, but it was not determined yet (Census will be done of course). I expect that with the pandemic and tighter rules. That is pretty short term though.

That makes sense.

I do a lot of raw material price forecasting, and when reviewing it with management, I always tell them, "At some point, this forecast will be right."

Last edited:
Back