ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
One of the many lessons learned during 2020 was that venturing into a new sport/activity can, at times, be rather pricey. Whether looking to break into golf, cycling, or kayaking, equipment costs can very quickly creep into that uncomfortable range for the wallet. As an industry, golf saw a significant surge in popularity, which included plenty of first-time participants. What greeted these new players looking to put together a bag full of clubs? High equipment costs.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is the same company that is running a giveaway on IG for a full set of their clubs.

I was not able to take any swings with these but enjoyed @ddec thoughts on them. It is always interesting when something exceeds expectations regardless of they are low or high. Thanks for giving them a try as I see their ads quite a bit.

Interesting, a box set that is less boxy in manufacture and options. Looks like a superb way to break into the market and target newer players. I wonder if this might be the company that manufactures for other set makers and possibly for Costco - seems a box set from Costco must be right around the corner (just in time for Christmas?).

As far as they go - the set looks nice, the all black is appealing. Not too fond of the putter nor the weight - but back weight could help that issue.

These look interesting. I am thinking of getting a set of clubs for my wife to try and get her back into the game and a 9 piece set from them would be a great place to start.

It’s a compelling price for a full set. I guess I still don’t understand this market. At that price wouldn’t one just be better off buying used clubs for less?

It’s a compelling price for a full set. I guess I still don’t understand this market. At that price wouldn’t one just be better off buying used clubs for less?

For someone experienced with finding golf equipment the answer is probably yes. For people new to the game it probably is different. The folks on THP aren't your usual golf consumer.

Never heard of these guys but really like where their head is at.. the clubs looks classy and quality as well..

Enjoyed the review, Dean. Seems like a sizable segment of golfers can get a lot of value with these clubs.

That is kind of the point of testing them though, right? Are used clubs better? Maybe its a stigma thing of brand known vs unknown?

What a great read and I thought they looked great! I'm also a sucker for the dark finish and wonder the wearability of these but doubt the buyer is.

A big swing on this one and I think they sent it deep! Really like the looks a lot.

Wedges look good. looking at the face of the driver and fairways, it looks and is shaped like a ping.

That is kind of the point of testing them though, right? Are used clubs better? Maybe its a stigma thing of brand known vs unknown?
That’s fair and this is definitely easier than buying a la carte for the casual golfer. I guess I’m just not the target market or an early adopter for something like this. Doesn’t help that there isn’t a ton of info on the actual clubs and their latest blog post starts with ‘you don’t need to get fitted’.

I'm glad you all enjoyed this one. I was pretty impressed with them, way more than I thought I would be. I'm still skeptical of how the finish would look over time, but I am glad that they took some of the feedback from V1 and addressed it here in V2.

Most golfers aren't THPers.

I have a buddy I just sent this link to as he is looking to get a set, and is totally lost in trying to construct his clubs via the used market.

That’s fair and this is definitely easier than buying a la carte for the casual golfer. I guess I’m just not the target market or an early adopter for something like this. Doesn’t help that there isn’t a ton of info on the actual clubs and their latest blog post starts with ‘you don’t need to get fitted’.
I agree with this to an extent. I think their target market is much more about those starting out. I might be wrong, but based on the advertising I see on social that would make some sense. I think there are a lot of THPers that fit that, whether on our community or just readers, but the die hard performance based on equipment person? Probably not.

I agree with this to an extent. I think their target market is much more about those starting out. I might be wrong, but based on the advertising I see on social that would make some sense. I think there are a lot of THPers that fit that, whether on our community or just readers, but the die hard performance based on equipment person? Probably not.

I agree 100% with the bolded.

I have a buddy I just sent this link to as he is looking to get a set, and is totally lost in trying to construct his clubs via the used market.
I hadn’t considered that aspect. And there are definitely folks out there who refuse to buy used. Heck my wife tried to navigate Callaway Pre-Owned to get me a present and then gave up and told me to get it myself 😆 this could be a nice barrier to entry breaker for the beginning golfer. Especially with great reviews like this one!

I hadn’t considered that aspect. And there are definitely folks out there who refuse to buy used. Heck my wife tried to navigate Callaway Pre-Owned to get me a present and then gave up and told me to get it myself 😆 this could be a nice barrier to entry breaker for the beginning golfer. Especially with great reviews like this one!

I am not going to pretend I know what kind of market share they will get, but given the experience of my friend, and your wife, this might find a nice niche for those starting out who are overwhelmed trying to decide which used clubs are best. Let alone, how to construct a bag with driver, woods, irons, wedges, and a putter.

This is an all in one solution that is seemingly better than a Top Flite set or something similar from a big box retail store.

For someone experienced with finding golf equipment the answer is probably yes. For people new to the game it probably is different. The folks on THP aren't your usual golf consumer.

pretty much this. You ask me a few months ago and i wouldnt have thought there was much of a market. Then helped a non-THP buddy go through a fitting. Basically offered to source his specs from various online vendors and save 3K or so. Said he rather just get them all at once since he was probably keeping them for 10 years, despite being a lot more expensive and have a longer lead-time. 🤷‍♂️ kinda opened my eyes to how different online golfers are ha.

We used to sell way too many Top Flight box sets, when I worked at Dick’s...

I think there is a market for a really good box set, that can give someone everything they need to get started or start over.

I think this OEM will find a spot in this current golf market.

Last edited:
This is an all in one solution that is seemingly better than a Top Flite set or something similar from a big box retail store.

And I think that is the million dollar question. Rewind a number of years when TaylorMade bought Adams Golf, they came out with these Adams Boxed Sets priced between $600-$1000 for the golfer that wanted a high quality set without having to piece it together. It didn't last all that long, but it was from a large company with a certain expectation to put resources behind.

Move to something like this, which for what it is, is a similar concept, albeit without the R&D and IP behind it necessarily. Could it work? I honestly don't know, but we do know in golf that the perception of something costing more therefore it's better, is still alive. So put this next to Accuity boxed set from Dicks and it looks like a perfect set. Next to a pieced together set from Callaway or Titleist, probably not, but cost is a factor there.

That was a long way of saying I kind of agree with you there.

I'm glad you all enjoyed this one. I was pretty impressed with them, way more than I thought I would be. I'm still skeptical of how the finish would look over time, but I am glad that they took some of the feedback from V1 and addressed it here in V2.
Nice write up Dean. Think if they could really hit marketing hard, this set makes a great Christmas gift for a Dad with a young family and not a lot of money to spend.....

We used to sell way too many Top Flight box sets, when I worked at Dick’s...

I think there is a market for a really good box set, that can give someone everything they need to get started.

I think this OEM will find a spot in this current golf market.
I think it will really come down to marketing and messaging. You can only hit the new or non-discerning golfer so many times on Instagram and Facebook before you need to hit the core golfer a little bit. Marketing will be such a crucial aspect there.

Take a brand like Ben Hogan. They are DTC, priced decently well and make high quality forgings. If they had a boxed set at $900 would it diminish the rest of the lineup? It might. I honestly dont know.

This is impressive -14 piece set $799.
The clubs look great but the I'm not feeling the putter. Shame they went for mid-mallet shape. Think they should have gone for a blade.

Back