I've worked in manufacturing nearly 20 years and I'd say that American quality is more of an idea. That's not to say the stuff here is junk, but you're not necessarily getting better enough products to justify the costs. The same machines used in American factories can be bought and shipped anywhere in the world. Quality is more in the design and materials than the craftsmanship.

In today's global economy, the argument that you're putting money in foreign pockets is pretty ridiculous. The idea that you're taking an American job is also off base, considering the number of American workers in the import/export business, as well as logistics, truckers, etc. If moving production abroad allows companies to stay in business and maintain fair pricing, how can that be a bad thing? I'd like to see if a company says, "we're moving everything back to the US, but raising our prices another 30%." Would people pay that premium for the exact same product just to get a little USA stamp on the side?

If you look at the P53 clubs being made at the old Hogan factory in Ft. Worth, they’re doing everything in house, design, forging, assembly, etc. Now, they are a “bespoke” type iron, but they run about $5K+ a set!😳

I sure hope the recently purchased Louisville Golf driver and 7 wood are made in USA and not assembled in USA from foreign manufactured components.
will pay more for MUSA. Have done so for decades with Bill's Khakis, Johnson & Murphy, Allen Edmunds, Wolverine, Filson, Timbuktu, New Balance, Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Joseph A Bank, Haspel, Rawlings, Champion, Gimbels, Wanamakers, Barneys to name a few.

I sure hope the recently purchased Louisville Golf driver and 7 wood are made in USA and not assembled in USA from foreign manufactured components.
will pay more for MUSA. Have done so for decades with Bill's Khakis, Johnson & Murphy, Allen Edmunds, Wolverine, Filson, Timbuktu, New Balance, Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Joseph A Bank, Haspel, Rawlings, Champion, Gimbels, Wanamakers, Barneys to name a few.

Arent most of those brands listed made overseas?

Say what about NB? 😉
20210819_145242.jpg

I have been wracking my brain about how to reply without bringing politics into the conversation but, I just can't do it! 😔

Is there any OEM that makes iron heads here.. ?

Could you build a bag where all of the components are manufactured here in the USA 🇺🇸?

My initial reaction to the question is no, as the increase in product cost would be too significant to pass to the consumer, and the manufacturer will not forego higher profit margins just to bring production to the USA.

But then I thought I was being naive on two potential factors. First, it is possible that there is some breakthrough in the manufacturing process to bring costs down, like large scale 3D printing. Second, what if one or two companies did it, and found some success. Would that be enough to pressure others to do it? It think it may.

I have been wracking my brain about how to reply without bringing politics into the conversation but, I just can't do it! 😔
Of course you can't. It's totally a political topic, which makes it a puzzler why it would be started by JB on a forum that doesn't wish to entertain political discussions.

• WTF
Reactions: JB
Of course you can't. It's totally a political topic, which makes it a puzzler why it would be started by JB on a forum that doesn't wish to entertain political discussions.
This certainly doesn’t have to be a political topic and has remained free of that by and large for its entirety.

I'm with JB here. I don't have any idea why discussing where something is made has to be political. Of course it CAN be also, but certainly doesn't have to be.

Are maltby's heads made in the USA? Definitely not a upper tier brand, more of a niche brand, but I thought I remember these being American made? I googled it though and see no references of it, so maybe their heads are ordered from elsewhere and clubs are just assembled here.

I'm with JB here. I don't have any idea why discussing where something is made has to be political. Of course it CAN be also, but certainly doesn't have to be.

Are maltby's heads made in the USA? Definitely not a upper tier brand, more of a niche brand, but I thought I remember these being American made? I googled it though and see no references of it, so maybe their heads are ordered from elsewhere and clubs are just assembled here.
No, Maltby heads are not made here.

Dealing with foundries in my work it's not only a cost of labor issue that makes it tough but the environmental (and other) regulations also make running a profitable foundry in the US a challenging task. Maybe, and this is a large maybe, if all large US club mfg got together and consolidated a part of their production there could be room to operate one "golf foundry" in the US but even then I suspect it would still be more expensive compared to China. Quality wise Chinese foundries are very good so I don't think that would change a whole lot bringing the production to the US.

I think Ping manufactures and assembles all their equipment here in the good ole USA. Aside from them I don't know of anyone else. Most have them made in China and ship here for assembly.

I think Ping manufactures and assembles all their equipment here in the good ole USA. Aside from them I don't know of anyone else. Most have them made in China and ship here for assembly.
At one time they did (as did others). They do not make their equipment here and haven’t for years. They do assemble here, as does Titleist, Srixon and others

Not a week goes by that we do not get the question about what clubs are made in the US. The answer is not many. With that said, a lot happens here from a number of putters being done, some shafts being done, assembly taking place and nearly all of the design work.

With the latest delays hitting golf for a myriad of reasons from components being available to cargo disasters combined with higher costs to bring things back to America, the question is being asked quite a bit more. Could a major golf equipment company bring their manufacturing back to the US?

Is it merely a cost strategy or are there a few regulations that would need to change as well? Finally, viewing other items made elsewhere vs what is made domestically, is there a quality conversation?

Sound Off Below.

View attachment 9023177

Continue reading...
As someone who has worked in manufacturing for the past 23 years let me tell you, its never gonna happen. I say that because you cannot compete from a cost standpoint and you cannot manufacture golf club heads in the U.S. in any kind of profitable or sustainable way.
I actually think the argument itself is quite silly and harkens back to a kind of 1950s nationalism and isolationism.

Nope. Heads are not cast in the USA anymore. Last year I had a Ping wedge where the head was made in China and the shaft was made in Japan. Hey, the grip was made in the USA though.:rolleyes:

As a US golfer, I would enjoy seeing a few more made in the US clubs if they can put out competitive products with pricing in the ballpark with other clubs. The global economy ship sailed a long time ago, and for consumer sporting goods I am not going to play the nationalism card. Golf is a global sport after all.

American labor costs too much comparatively. I think it could be a viable thing, for a boutique company.

Agreed. The aerospace company I work for is shutting it's doors next Spring. The corporate people have decided it's better to send our work to Mexico and pay the people down there $2.00 per hour with no benefits rather than pay Americans the $20 - $25.00 per hour and benefits. I've got 30 years in this company and will be on the streets looking for work next Summer. I won't get into the quality and schedule problems they are having down there but when you get on those Boeing and Airbus planes, remember where those products are being built.

Agreed. The aerospace company I work for is shutting it's doors next Spring. The corporate people have decided it's better to send our work to Mexico and pay the people down there $2.00 per hour with no benefits rather than pay Americans the $20 - $25.00 per hour and benefits. I've got 30 years in this company and will be on the streets looking for work next Summer. I won't get into the quality and schedule problems they are having down there but when you get on those Boeing and Airbus planes, remember where those products are being built.
Gotta pay the shareholders their max, right?

Not a week goes by that we do not get the question about what clubs are made in the US. The answer is not many. With that said, a lot happens here from a number of putters being done, some shafts being done, assembly taking place and nearly all of the design work.

With the latest delays hitting golf for a myriad of reasons from components being available to cargo disasters combined with higher costs to bring things back to America, the question is being asked quite a bit more. Could a major golf equipment company bring their manufacturing back to the US?

Is it merely a cost strategy or are there a few regulations that would need to change as well? Finally, viewing other items made elsewhere vs what is made domestically, is there a quality conversation?

Sound Off Below.

View attachment 9023177

Continue re

Cost would be huge if you want quality. Quality also comparable to another market, Japan, I don’t think would be better necessarily…and that one is already the established “premium” market.

Sound Off Below.

View attachment 9023177

Continue reading...
I’ve researched this for a long time and even the DTC companies have Chinese components. Most, like Sub 70 and New Level among others just as high quality forgings as Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, TM etc., just more affordable. Marketing and player sponsorship are also a reason for the high price of the big names. Tour edge are reasonably priced but have a big red, white and blue sticker on the shaft that would lead people to believe they are made in America, but it says “Assembled in America “. Most golf balls are made in Taiwan, your bag and umbrella are made in China, your Nike apparel is made in China, etc. Gotta live with it or just not play the game. Some manufacturers are even having their clubs assembled in Mexico. Just look at the label to find out where each component is coming from. China has no laws against pollution also but we have the EPA. Therefore they can forge clubs and have runoff of toxic chemicals into their waterways. Also, no labor laws and a ver low minimum wage thus assembly of Cobra clubs in Mexico. All infuriating but that’s what we’re accustomed to.

Back