I’ve researched this for a long time and even the DTC companies have Chinese components. Most, like Sub 70 and New Level among others just as high quality forgings as Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, TM etc., just more affordable. Marketing and player sponsorship are also a reason for the high price of the big names. Tour edge are reasonably priced but have a big red, white and blue sticker on the shaft that would lead people to believe they are made in America, but it says “Assembled in America “. Most golf balls are made in Taiwan, your bag and umbrella are made in China, your Nike apparel is made in China, etc. Gotta live with it or just not play the game. Some manufacturers are even having their clubs assembled in Mexico. Just look at the label to find out where each component is coming from. China has no laws against pollution also but we have the EPA. Therefore they can forge clubs and have runoff of toxic chemicals into their waterways. Also, no labor laws and a ver low minimum wage thus assembly of Cobra clubs in Mexico. All infuriating but that’s what we’re accustomed to.

Titleist, Callaway and Bridgestone make most of their golf balls in the US.
Taylormade makes their tour balls in the US.

Some of those smaller DTC companies might have near net forgings made in the same locations as other brands, but personally I do not believe that makes them one and the same. Whether one views this as positive, negative or anything else, the R&D side of things is vastly different. A brand like Sub70 or New Level does not have multiple CAD designers, super computers or anything of the sort. Does that make their equipment lesser? That depends on the person buying it, but to some it might.

I'd love to see a golf OEM open a foundry, forge, and begin producing made in USA clubs. I doubt it would happen unfortunately. I think we're way past that.

I don’t think this can happen large scale. Sam batch, boutique brands yes but for callaway? Not a chance.

I don’t think this can happen large scale. Sam batch, boutique brands yes but for callaway? Not a chance.

Do you think 3D printing could change that? Or more looking at it like putters are already made here, so not a huge leap?

So who actually manufactures golf clubs in USA?

We know all the majors do not due to pricing, hence crazy delays with product/components coming from Asia.

Is PXG the only real Made in USA brand?

Such a shame that like many other things this can't be done here in the states for a decent price and quality

So who actually manufactures golf clubs in USA?

We know all the majors do not due to pricing, hence crazy delays with product/components coming from Asia.

Is PXG the only real Made in USA brand?
PXG is not made in the USA.

Do you think 3D printing could change that? Or more looking at it like putters are already made here, so not a huge leap?

i am not sure of the answer to that. I can’t say I understand what impact 3D printing would have on production and cost.

I am just trying to think globally rather than just nationally and also from the perspective of it is the goal of a company to make profit. The US seems like a bad move to serve those needs. I would not mind being proven wrong.

i am not sure of the answer to that. I can’t say I understand what impact 3D printing would have on production and cost.

I am just trying to think globally rather than just nationally and also from the perspective of it is the goal of a company to make profit. The US seems like a bad move to serve those needs. I would not mind being proven wrong.
I honestly don't know the answer to that either, but looking forward to finding out.

I honestly don't know the answer to that either, but looking forward to finding out.

cobra showed It can be done on a large scale and done well. Even if it is just a small piece. So you have to think other OEMs will start diving in.

cobra showed It can be done on a large scale and done well. Even if it is just a small piece. So you have to think other OEMs will start diving in.
And that brings in an entire series of questions haha. Cobra partnered with HP to make it possible. I honestly have no idea the investment necessary to bring that in house if one was to go that way. I remember when Callaway introduced the Super Computer and AI to the world and it was a very different animal that still isn't all that well understood. Currently they are still the only company that has gone to this length with that investment, but we do see and hear about "AI" in just about every new club release that comes out. Its a buzz word now (which is a shame) and I wonder if we will see more of that with 3D printing where an emblem or something else is done that way so therefore the club utilizes 3D printing.

I don't know the answer to any of this, but as tech moves forward it is a pretty fascinating conversation. We cannot be that far off with club heads being able to be 3D produced for the masses if they wanted to have them done. Cost would be the biggest factor I would imagine. All guesses of course.

And that brings in an entire series of questions haha. Cobra partnered with HP to make it possible. I honestly have no idea the investment necessary to bring that in house if one was to go that way. I remember when Callaway introduced the Super Computer and AI to the world and it was a very different animal that still isn't all that well understood. Currently they are still the only company that has gone to this length with that investment, but we do see and hear about "AI" in just about every new club release that comes out. Its a buzz word now (which is a shame) and I wonder if we will see more of that with 3D printing where an emblem or something else is done that way so therefore the club utilizes 3D printing.

I don't know the answer to any of this, but as tech moves forward it is a pretty fascinating conversation. We cannot be that far off with club heads being able to be 3D produced for the masses if they wanted to have them done. Cost would be the biggest factor I would imagine. All guesses of course.

yeah, super interesting conversation. One of things that I love about golf..

The big hurdle is the manufacturing side, cost prohibitive to design, build and run the industry needed to forge and cast heads.

Design is already taken care of by US OEM's so it's just the infrastructure to manufacture needed.

I think having something as close to 100% made in the US would be amazing for the game.

I don't think it's a quality question. A factory will build to the specs and quality metrics agreed to. Tighter tolerances will cost more.

I'm doubtful that moving equipment manufacturing here would ease delays. The only way that would happen is if the raw materials were available domestically. If not, we're just shifting the bottlenecks earlier in the process. Plenty of auto manufacturing here, but it's throttled by the availability of chips.

Back