How Does the SST Pure Process Work?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A few months ago, SST Pure came on the Off Course Podcast and talked a lot about SST PURe and the art of having a shaft PUREd. If you missed that episode, you can catch up on the conversation here. Rarely shown however is how it all takes place. How does the SST PURE process go about alignment?

Whether you believe it is necessary or not, is certainly up for debate, but the act of the shaft going through multiple tests by machine is not. In this video, we show from beginning to end, how the SST PURE process takes place and what is happening each step of the way.

After watching the video above and seeing a shaft get PUREd from beginning to end, what are your thoughts?

Many fitters across the country offer this service and if you would like to learn more about it or find out where it can be done near you, check out their website here.

Continue reading...

Interesting to watch that. Don’t you typically install shafts logo down though?

I am one that is skeptical of puring benefits, but it is still cool to see.

Cool video. If you have the expendable income and feel it can improve your game, go for it.

It would be interesting to see a blind test, to see if a person can prove this process makes a difference in practice.

• Admin
Cool video. If you have the expendable income and feel it can improve your game, go for it.

Depending on the fitting place, this service doesn't cost anything extra for drivers (driver shaft shown in the video)

When the most convincing argument I've heard for actual impact on a live golf swing is "well, It can't hurt", it's hard for me to get behind.

Depending on the fitting place, this service doesn't cost anything extra for drivers (driver shaft shown in the video)

“Free” is always nice! Don’t see why anyone would refuse it, other than being particular about shaft logo placement.

I’m wondering now, some shafts i purchased arrived with a mark on the handle portion. I assumed that was spine and if one so desired it should be built with the spine facing the target.

I’ll assume that’s different than this.

Interesting to watch that. Don’t you typically install shafts logo down though?

I am one that is skeptical of puring benefits, but it is still cool to see.
This was my first thought 40 secs in.

Ok so the shaft is marked, now what? What does that mark mean and how does it affect install?

Very cool to see the process. This is something that I used to see and hear a lot about, 10+ years ago, but know barely see anything about it until now.

Ok so the shaft is marked, now what? What does that mark mean and how does it affect install?
You would install with that mark, so in some cases based on the shaft creation, no you would not be straight logo down.

That might be bothersome to some people, although with a number of popular drivers that feature adjustability and don’t have a dual cog I think that is a minority. My opinion anyway.

Man, I just don’t know. I would love to be proven wrong on it, but to me it’s one of those things some will always be all in on, where others will never be convinced.

Man, I just don’t know. I would love to be proven wrong on it, but to me it’s one of those things some will always be all in on, where others will never be convinced.

I agree with this. I do think its a bit of a divisive thing for some reason. Heck I think club fitting and building are in general. With that said, watching that machine and the graphic above as the shaft turns, is hard to ignore completely. How that translates? I honestly do not know.

I agree with this. I do think its a bit of a divisive thing for some reason. Heck I think club fitting and building are in general. With that said, watching that machine and the graphic above as the shaft turns, is hard to ignore completely. How that translates? I honestly do not know.
Yeah, watching it I literally said “oh that’s intense” as it’s doing it’s job, but it was still a bit of “but would it really effect my game?” for me

I had the shaft pured in my Epic Flash a few years ago, but it all came as part of the fitting process, and I'm not convinced it made too much difference if any but it was free (or at least the cost was hidden in the cost of the driver and shaft).

Only issue I would see if you had it in a driver with adjustability that didn't have the Callaway system so that anytime you adjusted the loft it would send it out of alignment?

I am really impressed by the machine. That’s quite a nifty design. I just thought that it measured the “ovaling” but it’s so much more automated. Pretty cool.

Seeing the process made it much easier to understand.

I picked up a pair of slightly used wedges that were pured and I’m nut really sure what it changed because I never hit them prior to that being done.

You would install with that mark, so in some cases based on the shaft creation, no you would not be straight logo down.

That might be bothersome to some people, although with a number of popular drivers that feature adjustability and don’t have a dual cog I think that is a minority. My opinion anyway.
Does the mark mean that part should be up or down?

This is interesting. I just don't know if I'm completely in on this. That being said, let's use cobra for example. You get fit and the shaft gets pured, but then you need to change to a different setting. You have now rotated the shaft and are not observing optimal performance, right? I just can't see it making that big of difference, especially in the average golfer. Maybe it's just me, but I would just like to see some data showing this actually makes a big enough difference to have this done. I only know one person physically who has had this done and his shaft snapped with the slightest pressure on it....lol

This is interesting. I just don't know if I'm completely in on this. That being said, let's use cobra for example. You get fit and the shaft gets pured, but then you need to change to a different setting.

I guess the other question is if you got fit, why would you have to change it? If the swing changes dynamically, to which that would take place, another fitting could be done or the adapter could be changed.

Well, what a coincidence. I just swallowed really hard and bought a driver from Club Champion yesterday. It was significantly more expensive than off-the-rack due to the aftermarket shaft. One of the benefits sold was the puring process. That certainly wasn't a major factor in my decision, but it did fall into the "it can't hurt" category.

I agree with others that it seems if you were to change your loft via adjustability, you'd have to get it re-pured and re-installed or you'd lose whatever the benefit is. It's so hard to tell though. I'd love to see some data on ball dispersion / spin differences on an Iron Byron with a pured vs an unpured shaft.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to test the same iron head (6 iron) with the same shaft (one pured and one not) at a Club Champion. We repeated the test a few times and each time the pured shaft had a slightly smaller dispersion. I'm not sure if it was enough of a gain to warrant the cost but it was interesting to say the least. I haven't tried a pured driver shaft though.

This is kinda where I stand. There is definitely a "most stable" orientation for a shaft. This is a fact, and the puring process shows that.

I don't know about you, but I definitely don't swing a golf club in a horizontal orientation, and your club shouldn't be oscillating until after contact.

So I would probably be in the camp of, it can't hurt. If you're getting graphite shafts at Club Champion and the puring is included, go wild!

I guess the other question is if you got fit, why would you have to change it? If the swing changes dynamically, to which that would take place, another fitting could be done or the adapter could be changed.
This is true. I was using a hypothetical because I'll use myself as an example. I got fit in February outside in the cold (30ish degrees at time of fitting) and my swing has changed big time since then, but with the Callaway, that wouldn't really matter as it's a dual cog, but, it would matter with the Cobra. I was just throwing it out there. Yes, you shouldn't have to change it but I was using the situation and in reference to your reply you would then have to drop money on a new fitting or to have the adapter moved. The whole situation has a lot of if's of course, but it was just a hypothetical that in reference to a lot of THPers, we like to tinker...lol

This is true. I was using a hypothetical because I'll use myself as an example. I got fit in February outside in the cold (30ish degrees at time of fitting) and my swing has changed big time since then, but with the Callaway, that wouldn't really matter as it's a dual cog, but, it would matter with the Cobra. I was just throwing it out there. Yes, you shouldn't have to change it but I was using the situation and in reference to your reply you would then have to drop money on a new fitting or to have the adapter moved. The whole situation has a lot of if's of course, but it was just a hypothetical that in reference to a lot of THPers, we like to tinker...lol
I believe it was mentioned in another thread that if you got your driver at Club Champion, they would pull and reinstall your adapter on a pured shaft. I don't remember what the cost was for it, but it's an option.

Back