How Does the SST Pure Process Work?

I believe it was mentioned in another thread that if you got your driver at Club Champion, they would pull and reinstall your adapter on a pured shaft. I don't remember what the cost was for it, but it's an option.
but not everyone has access to a Club Champion. Myself being one. The closest one is over 2 hours away. I got fitted somewhere else and they don't have the sst pure option at their facility, so that is all null and void at that point. I guess overall, yes the shaft probably isn't exactly round, but how much does it really help? That question still hasn't been answered.

So they're putting a weight on the end of the shaft to simulate the clubhead, but it looked like it was just a weight with the CG concentric to the shaft. Maybe I saw that wrong, but it brings up some thoughts.

Wont the shaft behave much differently when the CG is no longer aligned with the center of the shaft?
If its all about getting the perfect custom fit anyway, why not do this process with my actual driver head on there?

Deeper, if we're really not talking that big of a difference between where the shaft was oriented first and its final 'pure' orientation, how are other variables down the line going to effect the puring? Grip, grip tape, adapter epoxy?

If this is really about removing variables, why aren't they removing the seemingly easy ones?

but not everyone has access to a Club Champion. Myself being one. The closest one is over 2 hours away. I got fitted somewhere else and they don't have the sst pure option at their facility, so that is all null and void at that point. I guess overall, yes the shaft probably isn't exactly round, but how much does it really help? That question still hasn't been answered.
I think the answer to that is no different than would a fitting help, right? Meaning the answer is going to be different depending on the person @93civiccpe did a side by side test and saw better dispersion by a small amount. Others it might be larger, others still it might not be there.

I'm always curious with as aggressively as club champion tries to upsell pureing (the 3 times I've witnessed a fitting, they add it without asking and you have to argue with them to remove it), why is there not a demo right there to try? Surely a pured club and the worst "non-pure" club they can find would show a difference, right? 🤔

So they're putting a weight on the end of the shaft to simulate the clubhead, but it looked like it was just a weight with the CG concentric to the shaft. Maybe I saw that wrong, but it brings up some thoughts.

Wont the shaft behave much differently when the CG is no longer aligned with the center of the shaft?
If its all about getting the perfect custom fit anyway, why not do this process with my actual driver head on there?

Deeper, if we're really not talking that big of a difference between where the shaft was oriented first and its final 'pure' orientation, how are other variables down the line going to effect the puring? Grip, grip tape, adapter epoxy?

If this is really about removing variables, why aren't they removing the seemingly easy ones?
Bingo. The process undoubtedly finds the most stable orientation for the load they place on the shaft. Whether that matters, and how much, once you throw in the other variables, including torsion, is the big question I have. Definitely can't hurt, but how much does it really help?

I think the answer to that is no different than would a fitting help, right? Meaning the answer is going to be different depending on the person @93civiccpe did a side by side test and saw better dispersion by a small amount. Others it might be larger, others still it might not be there.
I can definitely get on board with this. I really think how much it will help overall would be player dependent, right? I mean if the person has a swing that generates so much spin or has a swing flaw, which most of us do, it might help some, but I can't see this process helping that much.

Also another factor is that noone's swing is the same every time. Just a lot of variable to think about as in how much this process really helps. I'm by no means saying it doesn't. I think a lot of it is that I don't know enough about it to say it does or doesn't if that makes sense and I'm sure a lot are in that boat.

I watched a club fitter/builder discuss pureing in general and what I found most interesting was that the pureing process measures the dispersion from 1-4 minutes, as discussed in this video. His take was that we, as golfers, load the shaft once when we swing we do not load it over & over again for 4 minutes, so how relevant is the data? He said it's certainly not going to hurt at all, well, except for your wallet! If someone was throwing it in for free, I'd do it, but my guess is if someone is spending money on that machine they are recouping the costs somewhere in your build.

I watched a club fitter/builder discuss pureing in general and what I found most interesting was that the pureing process measures the dispersion from 1-4 minutes, as discussed in this video. His take was that we, as golfers, load the shaft once when we swing we do not load it over & over again for 4 minutes, so how relevant is the data? He said it's certainly not going to hurt at all, well, except for your wallet! If someone was throwing it in for free, I'd do it, but my guess is if someone is spending money on that machine they are recouping the costs somewhere in your build.
Im not sure I understand his thoughts. Can you elaborate. It isn't measuring the same thing from 1-4 minutes, it is measuring the shaft in its entirety to find the information a single time.

Seen this done in person before and what that one piece of equipment can tell you about a single shaft is quite remarkable. Benefit varies amongst all golfers but doesn’t every aspect to the game. I like the idea of puring or floing a shaft as a way of removing a variable in the equation that you know can be eliminated vs added to it to solve the problem of if a shot went awry.

Im not sure I understand his thoughts. Can you elaborate. It isn't measuring the same thing from 1-4 minutes, it is measuring the shaft in its entirety to find the information a single time.

If I ever run in to him again, will ask.

I believe I seen a video saying a concept like this, what I thought wasn’t quite up front on his part was that allowing the shaft to cycle back and forth allows the minute aspects to be observed (less variables to overcome). His theory was a single thrust which I can see his point as to how it relates in the swing but that much of a force will always start in a straighter line before the eye can detect any flaws. I get he was selling his point of the argument but thought he kinda left out some details to help his case and didn’t come off as so genuine in doing so.

Reactions: JB
I believe I seen that same video, what I thought wasn’t quite up front on his part was that allowing the shaft to cycle back and forth allows the minute aspects to be observed (less variables to overcome). His theory was a single thrust which I can see his point as to how it relates in the swing but that much of a force will always start in a straighter line before the eye can detect any flaws. I get he was selling his point of the argument but thought he kinda left out some details to help his case and didn’t come off as so genuine in doing so.

This was a clinic on club building and fitting I attended and not a video.

I believe it was mentioned in another thread that if you got your driver at Club Champion, they would pull and reinstall your adapter on a pured shaft. I don't remember what the cost was for it, but it's an option.
I wonder how that may impact warranty claims. I believe some manufacturers (but I may be mistaken) consider a pull/reinstallation to void manufacturer warranty. That said, I wouldn't risk it just to move the label, as its purely aesthetic.

I am on the fence regarding puring. On the one hand, there is definitely a purpose behind it and a scientifically measurable result. But I am just not sure if there is a real world, practical benefit. There is certainly no detriment, so I think I am in the camp of having it done.

A few thoughts:

1. Good video-explains the process
2. Would like to see a pured and not pured shafted club on a Iron Byron to get some quantitative results.
3. I have clubs pured and not pured-can't tell the difference
4. Clubfitters charged a upcharge for puring because they have to buy that machine or there is some sort of licensing agreement and they get charged every time it is used
5. Depending on the puring the shaft logo can be all over the place which could be distracting. I have a iron set pured with Steelfiber's and the look varies from club to club.
6. For a driver, If your swing changes or you want to change the loft of the club for wet or windy conditions then the puring is off.

I wonder how that may impact warranty claims. I believe some manufacturers (but I may be mistaken) consider a pull/reinstallation to void manufacturer warranty. That said, I wouldn't risk it just to move the label, as its purely aesthetic.

I am on the fence regarding puring. On the one hand, there is definitely a purpose behind it and a scientifically measurable result. But I am just not sure if there is a real world, practical benefit. There is certainly no detriment, so I think I am in the camp of having it done.
As we learned in another thread, the aftermarket shaft you buy from Club champion may not be covered under warranty at all...

6. For a driver, If your swing changes or you want to change the loft of the club for wet or windy conditions then the puring is off.

Talked about this a bit earlier, but if the swing changes, wouldn't the fit change as well?

Talked about this a bit earlier, but if the swing changes, wouldn't the fit change as well?
Yes. You would then have to get the shaft repured if for instance you added or decreased loft as per swing change, Trackman data etc.

Same if you go to play and the course is really wet so you decide to add loft to get more carry then the puring is off. Same if you want to reduce loft. Except for the newer Callaway adapters as I believe changing the loft does not change the shaft movement.

Not saying its a big deal but a factor.

Yes. You would then have to get the shaft repured if for instance you added or decreased loft as per swing change, Trackman data etc.

Same if you go to play and the course is really wet so you decide to add loft to get more carry then the puring is off. Same if you want to reduce loft. Except for the newer Callaway adapters as I believe changing the loft does not change the shaft movement.

Not saying its a big deal but a factor.

Genuine question because I dont know the answer, do people really change the loft of their driver if its wet after they have been fit to carry? I read it from time to time, but have honestly never seen it done.

Genuine question because I dont know the answer, do people really change the loft of their driver if its wet after they have been fit to carry? I read it from time to time, but have honestly never seen it done.
I have done it in the past. If it is really wet or really fast and firm and want more roll. Do I do it a lot-not at all, but have done it.

My driver shaft I just put in was Pured

No, I try to set it up the best I can in a neutral setting and just play. Conditions are conditions. I think messing with stuff to match conditions is folly. Just accept them and move on.

My driver shaft I just put in was Pured

just happens to be pured, or you chose to have it pured? i don't think i'm good enough for pureing to make a difference. personally i've found pured shafts to feel a touch stiffer. might be just my brain, though. not sure if i could tell in a blind test.

just happens to be pured, or you chose to have it pured? i don't think i'm good enough for pureing to make a difference. personally i've found pured shafts to feel a touch stiffer. might be just my brain, though. not sure if i could tell in a blind test.
I actually had this one Pured.
Am I good enough? No idea. Since the podcast, I wanted to eliminate any mental side of it and figured why not.
My thought process was if I am checking the compression of golf balls, the loft to a half a degree and everything else, why not eliminate all variables and make it truly about me haha.

I had my iron shafts pured when they were built by TrueSpec. If I was going all the way with a full fitting and custom build...that little extra to have the Pured was all about the "what if" later if when my swing wasnt' exactly like in my fitting......I hate those negative thoughts..."Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda". and "If only I'd...".

My driver, 3w, hybrid, and utility have all been adjusted over the last few months. I feel better lofting up my driver as I feel the face is more closed (I can't see) so that gives me the placebo I need. I understand the same thing for those that get shafts pured. I am sure there is data to show improvement or not but if it was a huge difference everyone would do it.

Back