Off Course: Shaft Flex and Club Building

Absolutely loved this episode as far as the information and call outs especially on some shaky builds. Can’t stand seeing clubs with massive amounts of epoxy pouring out the sides and up the shafts creating shear points and ruining hundreds of dollars in shafts from poor practices. I’d like to hear his remarks on MOI matching clubs as that is typically how I match my irons together as I like the pendulum theory of swinging the club. At this point in time of club building with the advancement in density of material weighting inside the tips of shafts should never be past the ridge collars in hosels or adapters causing a solid structure on the interior of a flexing shaft which happens often if someone is using lead or brass weights especially in woods or hybrids. Really enjoyed his philosophy on the ways shafts react to the swings being applied by the type of swing that is occurring whether an early or late release and such.

Reactions: JB
Is it strange that I am listening through this a second time? while I am not a smart man, I honestly love the listening to people that are and @Canadan lol!!

Is it strange that I am listening through this a second time? while I am not a smart man, I honestly love the listening to people that are and @Canadan lol!!
You savage hahahahahaha

.....I agree though

Thrilled you guys are enjoying this - Jason has created spectacular discussion both times on the show.

Hopefully he doesn't mind being a regular, because I feel like we've barely scratched the surface with him.

Can you buzz him back and ask what socks we should be wearing for optimum performance when we play golf? I don't like to leave anything to chance. :cool:

Great show! Love my Kinetixx Velocity shaft.

I haven't finished the whole podcast but one concern I would have is not being able to reuse a shaft. If I spend $300 on a shaft and get a different head I want to try it in I like to be able to pull the adapter and put a different adapter on it. It seems that Kinetix recommends not doing that.
I will go back to this to get a better understanding what was said. I thought I heard more or less the same thing.

This is the most informative episode of Off Course of all time...
Wow- This was a ton of great information.

Can you buzz him back and ask what socks we should be wearing for optimum performance when we play golf? I don't like to leave anything to chance. :cool:

Motionwool.

@Canadan, this is as packed with information and really high-level design discussions as any Off Course pod. This is a definite second listen pod and perhaps a third to fully unpack and grasp everything Jason said. Might wait to do it when less pain meds are involved.🤣🤣

Now I want 3 degrees of....

Mind bending stuff here! good listen and i am more confused about shafts than I have ever been. He really knew his stuff as I had no clue about the shaftbuilding section.

I haven't finished the whole podcast but one concern I would have is not being able to reuse a shaft. If I spend $300 on a shaft and get a different head I want to try it in I like to be able to pull the adapter and put a different adapter on it. It seems that Kinetix recommends not doing that.
I will go back to this to get a better understanding what was said. I thought I heard more or less the same thing.
The statement that the shafts don’t like repurposing begins at 10:50 in. Because most of the resin is baked out of the shaft during manufacture/curing, the heat actually cooks fibers not the epoxy.

I assume repurposing in this instance is changing out one adapter for another or from club head to club head.

Jason mentions very few club builders are able to do this.

Am I misunderstanding this? And that’s quite possible. Anyone have other thoughts on this? I just picked up a Velocity from a THPer. Sometime when I can start hitting balls again, we’ll find out how the shaft holds up.

Great episode! So much technical information delivered and I still think Jason was simplifying things for us. :eek:

What an engaging listen!

Have to admit that I'm very interested to try a composite putter shaft.

Great episode! So much technical information delivered and I still think Jason was simplifying things for us. :eek:
My goal was to simplify the simplification and pretend I knew what he was talking about :ROFLMAO:

The statement that the shafts don’t like repurposing begins at 10:50 in. Because most of the resin is baked out of the shaft during manufacture/curing, the heat actually cooks fibers not the epoxy.

I assume repurposing in this instance is changing out one adapter for another or from club head to club head.

Am I misunderstanding this? And that’s quite possible. Anyone have other thoughts on this? I just picked up a Velocity from a THPer. Sometime when I can start hitting balls again, we’ll find out how the shaft holds up.
If this is true, it is a serious disadvantage of the shaft. I would cut the tip and reinstall in the adaptor.
Stiffer tip can only make it a better performing shaft?.

Heard the same thing. Curious more of the details of that statement as it is pretty scary for those garage tinkerers.

Taking the tip off twice using a heat gun and spring puller, the shaft was warm but able to be handled, if that's enough to damage a shaft, that's not good.

Last edited:
You and me both. I think it needs to happen.
Here’s the real question though - you putting it into your blade or blade alternative? Haha!

this is not necessarily true.
So if I dont like the shaft in Titleist head(adaptor) and tipping is out; the only two options are to find someone to buy
at .`10 on the dollar or scrap it?

Back