2021 PING Glide Forged Pro Wedges

I've never been impressed with Ping wedges for some reason. At $200 I don't think I can even get myself to try them.

I don’t think Ping gets enough credit for their wedges. They are a solid choice.

I don’t think I have ever tried a Ping wedge?!

They do seem to fly under the radar. Based on my experience they are more than a solid choice. They are the most consistent clubs in my bag, and I believe my short game is much better than it should be, given how little I get to play and practice, in large part due to my Glide wedges.

Mr. Cobb, you owe it to yourself to give them a try.

Question for THPers as I don't know the answer. Is this the type of wedge that gets lost a bit in the sea of options that exist and is more geared towards the Ping full bag guy? Or does it get you excited compared to other wedges? I enjoyed @Jman article a lot on these, so asking genuinely because it wedges are on my brain a lot lately.

With so many brands offering so much in terms of loft and grind and finishes, how does a new one, more expensive than many stand out?

Question for THPers as I don't know the answer. Is this the type of wedge that gets lost a bit in the sea of options that exist and is more geared towards the Ping full bag guy? Or does it get you excited compared to other wedges? I enjoyed @Jman article a lot on these, so asking genuinely because it wedges are on my brain a lot lately.

With so many brands offering so much in terms of loft and grind and finishes, how does a new one, more expensive than many stand out?
For me the new Glide Forged Pro and the older Glide Forged remind me of my old Snake Eyes wedges I built back in the 90s and wore out. I have tried to find a replacement and nothing has made the cut. June I picked up a 60 Glide Forged and was blown away by it The Glide Forged looks kinda simple but really meets my personal preferences. They look great, feel great and are way more forgiving/helpful than I thought they would be. I went back last month to get a 56 but they were all gone and since I heard Ping was bringing out new models I decided to wait. When I read James was dropping a article the other day I got pretty excited and was real pleased with the article. A 56 will most likely make my bag the day they hit my local shop. BTW I’m not a Ping guy I just want what works and i have chipped in more since I got my 60 than the previous year before I got it.

Reactions: JB
I just never think about PING for wedges. It's not because they haven't made good wedge in the past, because they have. But it's not one of those brands that I'm clamoring for a wedge from.

Not a PING full bag guy, but I love PING wedges. Had the Glide 2.0 and in the last 2 years the 3.0's. Like other clubs PING makes, the wedges just work. Not very splashy, doesn't look gimmicky, and are quite forgiving. In addition, the Glide wedges are semi-cavity backed and lean towards "game improvement," and have a hydropearl finish that retain spin under wet conditions better than the competitors.

To top it off, not many people have these. I've even had conversations about them with a few mostly PING players who overlooked their wedges. So there's a unique-ness factor vs. the 80% of the folks with Vokeys or MD Jaws in their bags.

Is this the Glide 3.0 replacement? Or more of a new category? A la their old Forged offering?

I LOVE my Glide 3.0s. Haven’t seen this one in person yet. Because the 3.0s haven’t been replaced, im looking at the Zipcore and full face.

But the 3.0 have been my favorite wedges to date.

Nice write up, @Jman. Too bad these are out of my talent wheelhouse. They look spectacular!

Is this the Glide 3.0 replacement? Or more of a new category? A la their old Forged offering?

I LOVE my Glide 3.0s. Haven’t seen this one in person yet. Because the 3.0s haven’t been replaced, im looking at the Zipcore and full face.

But the 3.0 have been my favorite wedges to date.
These are their Tour style wedge, what their staff have been asking them for. I highly doubt we see the more forgiving version go away.

I think they are almost entirely going to be purchased by "Ping full bag guys".

Or maybe I should say "Ping full bag guys plus a few of us hard-core wedge ho's".

The only people I see playing Ping wedges also play Ping irons. I've never seen a Ping wedge of any kind in someone's bag alongside a bunch of Callaway or Titleist irons and Taylormade woods. But I see plenty of Vokeys in bags with no other Titleist clubs or Clevelands in bags with no other Cleveland clubs.

P.S. I'll edit my initial answer to add "in the past 20 years". Back in the early-mid 1990's I do recall seeing Ping Eye2 wedges played by people with no other Ping clubs. But that seemed to go away when Ping moved on from the Eye2 designs. I think it was a Tour influence at the time.

These are their Tour style wedge, what their staff have been asking them for. I highly doubt we see the more forgiving version go away.

But will the 3.0 be replaced ? ( well if course, but are they on the horizon?)

Guess, I can always buy new 3.0s.

But will the 3.0 be replaced ? ( well if course, but are they on the horizon?)

Guess, I can always buy new 3.0s.
They won’t discontinue that line.

Well, who knows actually as they’ve made some super questionable choices lately.

I think they are almost entirely going to be purchased by "Ping full bag guys".

Or maybe I should say "Ping full bag guys plus a few of us hard-core wedge ho's".

The only people I see playing Ping wedges also play Ping irons. I've never seen a Ping wedge of any kind in someone's bag alongside a bunch of Callaway or Titleist irons and Taylormade woods. But I see plenty of Vokeys in bags with no other Titleist clubs or Clevelands in bags with no other Cleveland clubs.

P.S. I'll edit my initial answer to add "in the past 20 years". Back in the early-mid 1990's I do recall seeing Ping Eye2 wedges played by people with no other Ping clubs. But that seemed to go away when Ping moved on from the Eye2 designs. I think it was a Tour influence at the time.

You haven’t played with me. 😀 I’m on Callaway CF19 irons.

I play the Ping Glide 3.0 52/58 and love them for the extra forgiveness.

To answer @JB question, this new pricey release doesn’t get me going. I’ll stick with my Glide 3.0’s, they work for me just fine.

My wait and see in hand instincts were right on these, for me. Spent some time with them yesterday and they're out on shelves here now. Love the look from behind and below and LOVE the compact size, but the shapes and front edge are a little different.

20210909_120553.jpg

Not sure I can get down with that.

Got to talk with our rep about them just now about what they're trying to do with these and two things are for certain.

1. I still don't love 'em.

2. He doesn't love me.

:LOL:

You can put whatever you want on the website about measured offset and stuff. Over the ball it looks terrible.

Last edited:
These are butterface wedges.

They are fine.. but the face.. woof. Plus, weird stock shaft to me.. how can you charge so much and still have a weird made for shaft??
545D8F2B-A8A7-413A-A9D3-B0679DD03C03.jpeg1C45D1C3-A9A0-424E-A015-E3ED72DC1995.jpegDF16A6FE-E3EE-4452-BA32-E1CFE164BE12.jpeg

These are butterface wedges.

They are fine.. but the face.. woof. Plus, weird stock shaft to me.. how can you charge so much and still have a weird made for shaft??
View attachment 9028730View attachment 9028731View attachment 9028732
Yeah, it's tough. I asked him to explain the intentions behind the look. The reasons for a couple of the things, and he.. needs to learn better answers. Lol

It's such an odd approach to me, and kind of counter to trends in others.

those pics are, not flattering

I was just looking at them thinking, well you could bend the loft out them take a grinding belt to them and fix them..

Or you could just buy a good looking wedge for min $20 less and be good to go from the beginning.. lol.

Nice, they look good too, that said, the way the top line is beveled, it makes them seem quite thick on the upper half. I am very pleased with the T-22s, if not for those, I would certainly give these (and some others) a look. Thanks - as always for another well written article/review and the subsequent discussion. Have you considered teaching English or Writing, or Communications or maybe Journalism?

Thanks, James. Excellent and concise writeup.

The face tech is interesting. The rest of the wedge? Not so much to me.

These are fairly compact and the rounded leading edge is very different from the T22. They look clean but the shape is not that attractive to my eye. And the S Grind may be fine in a 50, may be limiting for some in a 54, but the T Grind is useless for most of us - that's why they call it "Pro." BTW, the "Pro" on the flange reeks of desperation to me. Buy me - I say "Pro".

The previous Ping Tour Wedge did not seem to get a lot of action at retail. I thought about giving it a go a few years ago and they would have worked, but something kept me from it.

These don't look as good as the T22 or that other wedge I use - Artisan. This is a pass and they'll probably do as well as the last Tour Wedge - not very well at retail. These are not a solid choice for most of us. It's a "Pro."

I think this continues a very weird year for Ping as to their decisions - not launching the 425 driver in the USA first, not having product available at times for 6 months. They seem to have some of the worst of it. And the driver itself? Not really much better, if at all, then the 400 Max. AND the sound? My ears are still pinging. Ping needs to be make some changes.

Last edited:
My wait and see in hand instincts were right on these, for me. Spent some time with them yesterday and they're out on shelves here now. Love the look from behind and below and LOVE the compact size, but the shapes and front edge are a little different.

View attachment 9026614

Not sure I can get down with that.

i finally saw these today, and they are so close to being what i really want. but that transition from hosel to leading edge is just too much of a miss for me. it’s almost pm grind-ish.

i finally saw these today, and they are so close to being what i really want. but that transition from hosel to leading edge is just too much of a miss for me. it’s almost pm grind-ish.
I've had 2 in-person conversations about these wedges today, partly focusing on why I don't like them, and why the guy that wants me to like them doesn't like me now. :ROFLMAO:

I like a straighter front edge. You said you don't, so I could see why these would appeal to you there. That transition in a wedge is just not good though. And totally out of step with the direction most are going. I just don't get it.

I have a friend here on staff with a different manufacturer that LOVES them. He plays the most center shafted monstrosity of a putter I've ever seen though, and I've told him that it makes sense, because this is the center shafted of wedges. It's just wrong. :LOL:

I took a look, too. They were "off" to my eye. Disappointed.

Thanks, James. Excellent and concise writeup.

The face tech is interesting. The rest of the wedge? Not so much to me.

These are fairly compact and the rounded leading edge is very different from the T22. They look clean but the shape is not that attractive to my eye. And the S Grind may be fine in a 50, may be limiting for some in a 54, but the T Grind is useless for most of us - that's why they call it "Pro." BTW, the "Pro" on the flange reeks of desperation to me. Buy me - I say "Pro".

The previous Ping Tour Wedge did not seem to get a lot of action at retail. I thought about giving it a go a few years ago and they would have worked, but something kept me from it.

These don't look as good as the T22 or that other wedge I use - Artisan. This is a pass and they'll probably do as well as the last Tour Wedge - not very well at retail. These are not a solid choice for most of us. It's a "Pro."

I think this continues a very weird year for Ping as to their decisions - not launching the 425 driver in the USA first, not having product available at times for 6 months. They seem to have some of the worst of it. And the driver itself? Not really much better, if at all, then the 400 Max. AND the sound? My ears are still pinging. Ping needs to be make some changes.

I looked at this post again. Sorry for sounding like an a-hole. :oops: Must have been in a mood when posting.:ROFLMAO:

Okay, not the best-looking wedges. When I go to the Superstore again, I am going to give them a look and a hit.

I looked at this post again. Sorry for sounding like an a-hole. :oops: Must have been in a mood when posting.:ROFLMAO:

Okay, not the best-looking wedges. When I go to the Superstore again, I am going to give them a look and a hit.

to my eye they are a very unique shape. i hit them a bit and thought they felt great. not sure i could get used to that look, though.

Back