Off Course: Shaft Flex and Club Building

Heard the same thing. Curious more of the details of that statement at it is pretty scary for those garage tinkerers.

Taking the tip off twice using a heat gun and spring puller, the shaft was warm but able to be handled, if that's enough to damage a shaft, that's not good.
What’s interesting is it’s virtually the same statement that Oly made to @Canadan with LA Golf, Ping and Aldila/Mitsubishi. It doesn’t take much heat to breakdown a shaft and FWIW I literally changed tips on a Kinetixx today and checked a few things like torque and nothing changed. I just use as little heat as possible on all shafts

So if I dont like the shaft in Titleist head(adaptor) and tipping is out; the only two options are to find someone to buy
at .`10 on the dollar or scrap it?
My response was to the quoted part about a stiffer tip being inherently better.

and no.

Heard the same thing. Curious more of the details of that statement at it is pretty scary for those garage tinkerers.

Taking the tip off twice using a heat gun and spring puller, the shaft was warm but able to be handled, if that's enough to damage a shaft, that's not good.
That is kind of the weird place with graphite though, right? Just because some of them have technically more durable properties doesn't mean that heat doesn't alter their design... And as much as we want to talk about steel being ultimately the most durable option, I've seen plenty of steel iron shafts pulled to show a bend right where the shaft meets the head due to wear and tear.

If this is true, it is a serious disadvantage of the shaft. I would cut the tip and reinstall in the adaptor.
Stiffer tip can only make it a better performing shaft?.
Doesn't this sort of depend on what you're hoping to achieve?

A tip that is too stiff for a player eliminates what value there is in the bend profile, no?

Doesn't this sort of depend on what you're hoping to achieve?

A tip that is too stiff for a player eliminates what value there is in the bend profile, no?
Due to a fire on my work bench, the tip on a $260 butt trim only, composite shaft was melted and
I tipped it more than 2 inches, otherwise it was toast. It became my favorite hybrid shaft.
Zero droop, zero kick, zero torque. ..mid bend like many K... shafts

So much info! I tend to turn of my engineering mind when I play golf but this one has me thinking a lot. Loved it!

And yes, I love finish options for clubs. I like getting picky with it.

That is kind of the weird place with graphite though, right? Just because some of them have technically more durable properties doesn't mean that heat doesn't alter their design... And as much as we want to talk about steel being ultimately the most durable option, I've seen plenty of steel iron shafts pulled to show a bend right where the shaft meets the head due to wear and tear.
pound for pound kevlar/composite/graphite is stronger than steel

But as far as durability steel is the winner.
https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/ASTM-A36-SS400-S275-Structural-Carbon-Steel/Graphite

Last edited:
What’s interesting is it’s virtually the same statement that Oly made to @Canadan with LA Golf, Ping and Aldila/Mitsubishi. It doesn’t take much heat to breakdown a shaft and FWIW I literally changed tips on a Kinetixx today and checked a few things like torque and nothing changed. I just use as little heat as possible on all shafts

Which club did you switch to?

Which club did you switch to?
It was an iron shaft.

Edit: realized I did two. One iron and one adapter. Adapter moved to tour Edge 721.

I’m curious if you listened to the podcast because that was said and Jason was specific about what breaks down in all composite shafts.
My reply was in response to this post:

That is kind of the weird place with graphite though, right? Just because some of them have technically more durable properties doesn't mean that heat doesn't alter their design

Really enjoyed this one on the course yesterday, but it’s always a pleasure to listen to Jason, dude is just crazy smart, and better yet, passionate.

Lots to digest in this one. The building aspect is interesting, and I’ve long agreed with the tip weight take as someone who has gone down that rabbit hole before.

The statement that the shafts don’t like repurposing begins at 10:50 in. Because most of the resin is baked out of the shaft during manufacture/curing, the heat actually cooks fibers not the epoxy.

I assume repurposing in this instance is changing out one adapter for another or from club head to club head.

Jason mentions very few club builders are able to do this.

Am I misunderstanding this? And that’s quite possible. Anyone have other thoughts on this? I just picked up a Velocity from a THPer. Sometime when I can start hitting balls again, we’ll find out how the shaft holds up.

I took it to mean that very few club builders were capable of applying the minimum amount of hear to pull the shaft and not damage it. Maybe very precise application with a torch or micro torch would be the way to go.

Really enjoyed this one on the course yesterday, but it’s always a pleasure to listen to Jason, dude is just crazy smart, and better yet, passionate.

Lots to digest in this one. The building aspect is interesting, and I’ve long agreed with the tip weight take as someone who has gone down that rabbit hole before.
I took it to mean that very few club builders were capable of applying the minimum amount of hear to pull the shaft and not damage it. Maybe very precise application with a torch or micro torch would be the way to go.
However the words are interpreted, as a manufacturer of a product, understand the company is off the hook if a consumer switches from one adaptor to another or one shaft to another, using heat in the removal process.

However the words are interpreted, as a manufacturer of a product, understand the company is off the hook if a consumer switches from one adaptor to another or one shaft to another, using heat in the removal process.
Wait, what are you going on about now?

My reply was in response to this post:

That is kind of the weird place with graphite though, right? Just because some of them have technically more durable properties doesn't mean that heat doesn't alter their design
That is why I asked if you had listened to the podcast in the first post. 😀

That is why I asked if you had listened to the podcast in the first post. 😀

Maybe I misinterpreted this comment:

"That is kind of the weird place with graphite though, right? Just because some of them have technically more durable properties doesn't mean that heat doesn't alter their design"

Sounds that it is saying graphite(composites) have technically more durable properties than steel shafts. If that was not the intention, then lets forget it.

Umm, bombshell doesn't quite cover this! Awesome podcast & finally someone saying swingweight is not the thing everyone thinks.

"That is kind of the weird place with graphite though, right? Just because some of them have technically more durable properties doesn't mean that heat doesn't alter their design"

Sounds that it is saying graphite(composites) have technically more durable properties than steel shafts. If that was not the intention, then lets forget it.

they way I look at graphite is that once it is a finished product it is extremely strong and durable. But, due to the construction that durability can be pretty easily manipulated. Especially by heat.

it’s like Superman. The most overpowered superhero ever. But a dumb green rock is his weakness.

Last edited:
they way I look at graphite is that once it is a finished product it is extremely strong and durable. But, due to the construction that durability can be pretty easily manipulated. Especially by heat.

it’s like Superman. The most overpowered superhero every. But a dumb green rock is his weakness.
Cant touch the Man of Steel, for durability. LOL

That isn’t what I was saying, but it’s why I was asking if you listened. Because it discusses heat and construction with the shaft designer…

That isn’t what I was saying, but it’s why I was asking if you listened. Because it discusses heat and construction with the shaft designer…
My misunderstanding. My apology.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
insanely amazing listen. wow. my head is still spinning. jason seems like one of those guys i could just listen to for hours. i’m loving the kinetixx velocity shaft i’m testing in driver, but the ingenuity and innovation behind all their products has me intrigued throughout the whole bag all the way down to putter.

super stuff here!

It's pretty funny how counter that is to steel, which has better bend potential at the tip (not the good kind) while in play.

Also, speaking about durability, it's insane to think that Kinetixx hasn't had a shaft fail in competition.

It's pretty funny how counter that is to steel, which has better bend potential at the tip (not the good kind) while in play.

Also, speaking about durability, it's insane to think that Kinetixx hasn't had a shaft fail in competition.
Specifically long drive comp. those guys go hard..

Back