Macwheel V1000 Rangefinder Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Remember when laser rangefinders first hit the market and the price tag associated with them was perhaps a bit too high for some to stomach? Well, the days of needing to spend hundreds of dollars on a rangefinder have come and gone. Don’t get me wrong, there are still plenty of units on the market that command anywhere north of $400. On the flip side, we appear to be living through a time where there is a massive influx of budget-friendly, sub $200 rangefinders. Today, we take a look at the Macwheel V1000 laser rangefinder, which currently comes in at a price tag of under $100. How does it stack up in a suddenly crowded market? Let’s find out.

Continue reading...

Intriguing device and seems to come in similar to the previous one we did where the speed was decent, features were good and the price tag was great. Thanks for testing.

That's a pretty good range finder for that price. Thanks for the review.

Amazing. Thx for the thoughtful and well-written review.

That’s a price that intrigues me. I have never used a rangefinder but the price, features and performance of this one could change that fact.

Thanks for the review. Excellent and informative as always. I truly appreciate the time and effort that the staff members take to review the products and then to put it into writing.

WOW, IK have a couple of golfing buddies that would love to pick one up for 80 bucks....great review Dean

I've been range finder curious. At that price it may be enough to jump in. Great review.

For someone who is looking for a rangefinder, but not yet ready to pay a lot of money, this one has me interested. I have wasted $80 on dumber purchases and with a 2-year no worry warranty it's worth a shot imo.

That is now two low cost devices that have tested well. The previous one worked well and is inexpensive also. Be an interesting comparison. I think with the THP Coupon of 10% off, they come in at the exact same price.

I missed that one, thanks for sharing.

Although now I have a decision to make... One has a color scheme I like a little better (red is gross!), one looks to be maybe a touch more accurate but I think both are well within my ability to control distance, and the difference in if you are a battery or charging person. Typically I go batteries (or plug-in) all day compared to having to charge items. That said, I picked up the Arccos link so setting up a charging station where I keep my golf gear may solve that.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Wow. That's a lot of technology for $80. 20,000 readings on a single charge sounds amazing. With as little as I use one these days, that would last me me than 10 years and would save a lot of money in battery replacements.

@ddec, does your course have reflectors on the flagsticks? For 80 bucks, I could see this thing excelling over any competition especially if you have a reflector on top of the flagstick. My league partner and I were just discussing range finder prices last night.

@ddec, does your course have reflectors on the flagsticks? For 80 bucks, I could see this thing excelling over any competition especially if you have a reflector on top of the flagstick. My league partner and I were just discussing range finder prices last night.

the courses I tested on did not have reflectors in the pin. Those aren't really popular up here.

the courses I tested on did not have reflectors in the pin. Those aren't really popular up here.
For it to work as well as it did without speaks volumes. (y)(y)

Thanks all for the early morning reads. This unit was impressive for the price tag. As I said, the yardages sometimes differed from other units, but nothing drastic. $80, not a huge investment. Of the 4 sub $250 units I've looked at in the past year, it's not my top choice, but when you add up the performance and value, it's very compelling.

Curious what exactly "If our numbers were different, they were usually no more than a few yards off" means here. How many is a few in this case? Anything more than 5 can cause fairly big differences whether you think you can be that consistent or not. I'm all for an $80 option here, so hopefully it was less than 5, which then I'd say that is pretty solid.

Curious what exactly "If our numbers were different, they were usually no more than a few yards off" means here. How many is a few in this case? Anything more than 5 can cause fairly big differences whether you think you can be that consistent or not. I'm all for an $80 option here, so hopefully it was less than 5, which then I'd say that is pretty solid.

nothing drastic. Usually, it was in slope mode and in that 2-3 yard range.

nothing drastic. Usually, it was in slope mode and in that 2-3 yard range.
That's very solid. I will most likely push this one to my brother to look into

Nice write up Dean..... I guess I need to add this to my collection of lower priced lasers. Question on the optics, is the display in black/white? Also, you mentioned speed acquiring target later in the day, was it a significant drop off, i.e., you needed to shoot, re shoot a couple times to get the target?

Nice write up Dean..... I guess I need to add this to my collection of lower priced lasers. Question on the optics, is the display in black/white? Also, you mentioned speed acquiring target later in the day, was it a significant drop off, i.e., you needed to shoot, re shoot a couple times to get the target?

yes to black and white.
I thought it was a little slower. Could be the background filtering wasn't working as strongly. It was noticeable to me who was trying to pay attention to that stuff, but I would say it was anything like seconds later if that makes sense.

yes to black and white.
I thought it was a little slower. Could be the background filtering wasn't working as strongly. It was noticeable to me who was trying to pay attention to that stuff, but I would say it was anything like seconds later if that makes sense.
Makes me wonder how it would perform in a light / medium fog?

Honestly.. If this thing even works half way decent that is freaking awesome..

Back