JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When selecting wedges it has become harder to identify which would be best for your game due to more choices being available. While some companies offer great information regarding their grind options, others are a bit limited or have information that is harder to decipher.

We had Edel Golf in the THP Tech Studio to walk you through four different wedge grinds and explain what they are and what type of golfer would benefit most by each.

What wedges do you play and how did you select the grinds for your game?

Continue reading...

Such a quality rundown there on the SMS grind options. I’ve got quite the assortment of grinds based on exactly the feedback Koske put into this video on them. Excellent stuff.

I play the Snakebite Wedges from Cobra. I love their Classic grind. It is basically the big rectangle on the sole grind that many companies have. Usually highish bounce of 12* or so. I used to try to get the rounded edges, but the last few years I have really been a very squared up pitcher and chipper. This type of grind offers great turf interaction with forgiveness for that stroke.

Outstanding video! I have been reading about various wedge grinds for years on here and OEM websites and still felt uneasy about which one to select due to a feelings of uncertainty. This video cleared so much up for me.

Koske really did nail this for Edel.

I'm so glad to see an in depth video on wedge grinds for Edel.

It's a pretty tough decision when looking at a website. This makes it a heck of a lot easier.

• Admin
I'm so glad to see an in depth video on wedge grinds for Edel.

It's a pretty tough decision when looking at a website. This makes it a heck of a lot easier.

And from a general sense, this can be applied to other brands based on this video going in depth about each grind.

Great share! A quick question: is it normal for players to get different grinds for different lofts in a set? For instance on the v grind he talks about how good it would be for full swing wedge shots Regardless of swing style. But I feel like I’d be terrified of not being able to pull a 56 or 60 out of the turf after I hit it ( a bit exaggerated of course but it explains my swing ).

• Admin
Great share! A quick question: is it normal for players to get different grinds for different lofts in a set? For instance on the v grind he talks about how good it would be for full swing wedge shots Regardless of swing style. But I feel like I’d be terrified of not being able to pull a 56 or 60 out of the turf after I hit it ( a bit exaggerated of course but it explains my swing ).
Thats a great question and it depends really on how the player uses them. If they are full swing clubs primarily, most of the time players opt for similar. If it is about specific uses, like green side or rough or bunkers, etc. Specific grinds can be helpful. Most can still be quite useful regardless of choice with some comfort and usage.

very cool video. other than the obvious visual difference between the c grind and t grind, i wasn't sure what type of player should go with c vs t. maybe c in a club you'd predominantly hit out of the bunker and rough, and t for something off tighter lies? i love that v grind for a gw.

right now i play callaway jaws md5 wedges. 50s, 56x and 60x. i was fit into the 56 and 60 at the ely callaway performance center, and i've really enjoyed the x grind on full swings, partial shots and around the greens. it's been my favorite wedge i've ever played.

Thank you!!! Look forward to watching this later as I have no clue regarding wedge grinds.

very cool video. other than the obvious visual difference between the c grind and t grind, i wasn't sure what type of player should go with c vs t. maybe c in a club you'd predominantly hit out of the bunker and rough, and t for something off tighter lies? i love that v grind for a gw.

The T would favor someone that is a bit more steep than the C grind with the higher amount of surface area (bounce) near the leading edge.

Nice video! Now I want one of each to play around with. The craftsmanship of the Edel wedges looks amazing! 🔥

That was great.. I would love to actually do a wedge fitting on turf with someone that was a wedge specific fitter and understood bounce etc. I think that would be extremely beneficial.

Great info and those wedges are 🔥

My 50 and 54 degree are used almost exclusively for full shots, and I definitely went with a different grind because of that.

I want a bit more versatility around the green with my 58, something that can easily turn open on the heel side. Not looking for that at all with my other two wedges.

Great info. Appreciate it.

I come in shallow - a V Grind in 50, C grinds in the higher lofts. Easy.

I've tried higher bounce grinds and they can work, but I need to accept what fits me. Mid-bounce (7-9) with grinding for versatility.

Great video. I have been primarily trial and error. I know I have a steeper swing and more bounce tends to be better for me. I would love to go do a fitting off of grass for wedges and figure out what is really good for me. Unlike many I use my 58* for swings up to 80 yards so how it behaves on those is important to me. I need the club to be versatile because I also use it out of the sand and for high greenside shots.

Making a mental note to watch this. I am honestly not sure what grinds work me. I do like the heel grind on my zipcore tour rack 54 wedge. Beyond that, I think I adapt to my wedges more than anything else.

Loved this video. Wedge grinds tend to confuse the crap out of people. That D grind looks so damn awesome.

Love this! Can't watch it yet since I'm at work but wedge grinds are one of the few things that just confuse the hell out of me. Excited to watch this one later!

Super informative video thank you for sharing that!

Grinds are confusing - I've had about 3 fittings - Edel gave me, in their original wedges, a high bounce on the leading edge, then cut off the bounce and it was more or less a C Grind - for those with a shallow/neutral attack. Titelist put me into mid bounce wedges of about 8 degrees with F Grind 50, S Grind, 56, M grind 60. But I thought I knew better and eventually played a D Grind and then bought Mizunos in 11-12 deg of bounce. They worked but it was me adapting and they did not always work well - that leading edge was sitting off the ground.

So I went to Artisan - and they went back to Edel and Titleist originally said - you don't make a divot, you give the grass a haircut. So I've got 7-8 deg of bounce in 50, 55, 59 with a beviled leading edge so the leading edge sits down on the ground.

In an Edel, it would be similar - V (all around) grind, then C Grind in the other two would be comparable.

Moral of the Story - Accept who you are and accept the fit.

I didn’t factor the grind in at all to my wedge choice. I went for something with plenty of bounce and that was it. Grinds were a factor when I went for a wedge fitting and bought my previous wedges, and my short game went completely to pot.

Back