First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Apex Pros are straight up magic for me. 89% of greens in regulation this morning. Probably a personal best ballstriking day for me as I set myself up for a lot of very makeable birdie putts.

Wanted to give another shout to the TCB's but not about on course stuff. So I don't know how many rounds I have on mine. Nearing 100? But I noticed something in deciding to order a fresh set. These bad boys don't look near as old as they are. They're proving to be pretty darn durable.

20210902_204900.jpg20210902_204939.jpg

Chose the 2 most worn to show. The wedge has seen some work, and actually some range, and done it all well. Finally starting to show a bit. But look at the sole! I have set wedges I've played less than 10 rounds whose sole looks worse. Neither I nor the turfs here baby them.

And then I chose the next most worn club, the 7. Literally the one that shows the most wear after the wedge. I mean .. I feel like that's impressive. I can't even make out a wear spot in any light. It looks like a shop club.

Gets an A in my book. 👍

Wanted to give another shout to the TCB's but not about on course stuff. So I don't know how many rounds I have on mine. Nearing 100? But I noticed something in deciding to order a fresh set. These bad boys don't look near as old as they are. They're proving to be pretty darn durable.

View attachment 9025729View attachment 9025730

Chose the 2 most worn to show. The wedge has seen some work, and actually some range, and done it all well. Finally starting to show a bit. But look at the sole! I have set wedges I've played less than 10 rounds whose sole looks worse. Neither I nor the turfs here baby them.

And then I chose the next most worn club, the 7. Literally the one that shows the most wear after the wedge. I mean .. I feel like that's impressive. I can't even make out a wear spot in any light. It looks like a shop club.

Gets an A in my book. 👍

if you’re looking for a good family oriented, dog loving home for those heads, I might have a friend 😉.

20210908_191003.jpg

Well lookey what showed up today. Freshy new fresh set!! Can't hold them all and take a picture while I'm cooking, but it's like

around here right now.

3-P this time.

I never had the 3 and 4 before.

Bumping this to show some love to my TCB's that carried my broken bod today. I definitely had some misses on a day when my right hand was pretty useless, but they were all seriously playable. I'd guess I only hitt half the greens, which is very low for me, but I was generally greenside with no real issue other than couple really unlucky lies. They did great on mixed turf and interesting bermuda lies on approach too. Was nice to have my favorites on a struggle day.

Also want @DNice26 to see this so he'll share his first impressions on them since he got to smack a few with them today. :D. There's not many here who've even seen them in person much less hit the them. Tell us what you thought dude!

Last edited:
Bumping this to show some love to my TCB's that carried my broken bod today. I definitely had some misses on a day when my right hand was pretty useless, but they were all seriously playable. I'd guess I only hitt half the greens, which is very low for me, but I was generally greenside with no real issue other than couple really unlucky lies. They did great on mixed turf and interesting bermuda lies on approach too. Was nice to have my favorites on a struggle day.

Also want @DNice26 to see this so he'll share his first impressions on them since he got to smack a few with them today. :D. There's not many here who've even seen them in person much less hit the them. Tell us what you thought dude!

Very nice!!! Felt very solid and smooth. I love the shaping of the irons, especially the shorties.

I liked the image.

E8C25F50-152C-4419-8F6D-87C518570A0C.jpeg

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I love the Tungsten badge on them. The whole iron is beautiful.
I like it as well! I was one of the lucky ones to get the super special edition with Tungsten written on all the irons, lol.

I like it as well! I was one of the lucky ones to get the super special edition with Tungsten written on all the irons, lol.
haha I would have loved those :LOL:

I wish I had, but I didn't get a long with the Pros when I did my fitting. Unfortunately for my skill level, I much prefer looking down at a smaller profile.

Did I NEED new irons? Nah. Did I hit 11 greens last Friday with the Apex19? Yes. Did I do a lot of reading including the concerns about the wear on the club face? Yes. Did I just want the new version with my same Elevate 95 shafts? Yes. Did Callaway give me an offer I couldn’t refuse? Yes. 5-AW, ordered Thursday and received today, free 2nd Day Air.

In the bag immediately for Saturday’s round. Really appreciate everyone’s honest reviews on here, am I excited about the added forgiveness, AI, and Tungsten Energy Core? Definitely.

Attachments

• 6B4693EF-E902-47DA-8659-D6DED82D094C.jpeg
    6B4693EF-E902-47DA-8659-D6DED82D094C.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
These have been tempting me something fierce lately. Have been eyeing a few sets online.

Did I NEED new irons? Nah. Did I hit 11 greens last Friday with the Apex19? Yes. Did I do a lot of reading including the concerns about the wear on the club face? Yes. Did I just want the new version with my same Elevate 95 shafts? Yes. Did Callaway give me an offer I couldn’t refuse? Yes. 5-AW, ordered Thursday and received today, free 2nd Day Air.

In the bag immediately for Saturday’s round. Really appreciate everyone’s honest reviews on here, am I excited about the added forgiveness, AI, and Tungsten Energy Core? Definitely.

Nice! I have the Elevate 95 shafts back in my 19s and have been enjoying them.

What was the offer? Trade credit?

Great to see some feedback on the TCBs @OldandStiff if I weren’t all in on my OL experiment these would be in the bag.

Recently put the DCB 4 iron back in the bag for some less-than-driver tee shots. I forgot how easy the DCB are to hit!

Nice! I have the Elevate 95 shafts back in my 19s and have been enjoying them.

What was the offer? Trade credit?
Basically the same boat. I called last week and was like let me preface this by saying I’m very happy with my 19s, no qualms or issues, but let’s make a deal and I’ll trade them in. The offer was too good to pass up and got them in basically 4 business days. Impeccable.

I've got some kind of mental block with the PW and the 9i going on right now. They are both going the same distance on shots that both feel pure. And I'm meaning the 9i seems to be going a full club shorter than it should be. It's a real mental game on what to hit from 145-155 currently

I've got some kind of mental block with the PW and the 9i going on right now. They are both going the same distance on shots that both feel pure. And I'm meaning the 9i seems to be going a full club shorter than it should be. It's a real mental game on what to hit from 145-155 currently
I HATE that. Especially when the 8i is plenty strong. The reason always comes through loud and clear on video for me though, and it's usually a leaky 9i swing (not leaking directionally, power leaking) that's shallower, swipeyer, blah blah etc. It's a mental thing for me. I try to swing it too hard and lose efficiency, or I keep it compact but worry about it being long and change my dynamics. I always want to blame gapping and mess with lofts, but when I see it on video it's always in the move. It's fast, but lost it's strength. I go DJ on a couple where I lean left, hitch, and keep my left shoulder tucked longer like I'm burying a wedge, and sure enough, boom. Strong 9. I hope you figure it out for you, because it really messes with a head.

I HATE that. Especially when the 8i is plenty strong. The reason always comes through loud and clear on video for me though, and it's usually a leaky 9i swing (not leaking directionally, power leaking) that's shallower, swipeyer, blah blah etc. It's a mental thing for me. I try to swing it too hard and lose efficiency, or I keep it compact but worry about it being long and change my dynamics. I always want to blame gapping and mess with lofts, but when I see it on video it's always in the move. It's fast, but lost it's strength. I go DJ on a couple where I lean left, hitch, and keep my left shoulder tucked longer like I'm burying a wedge, and sure enough, boom. Strong 9. I hope you figure it out for you, because it really messes with a head.
Yeah I haven't videod it yet but it's turned in to this a couple times. And when I try to swing my irons too quick, I get thins and tops coming out. Range time has quieted the issue pretty effectively but that's only on the range. Back on the course, I'm at that distance and I really don't know what club to pull because it's all I'm thinking about.

With all the swing work I've been doing recently, I know it's all me and not the club because this wasn't an issue earlier in the year. Just more reason to spend time working on my game :D

I'm exactly the same with my 9i and PW. I have to really go hard with the 9 to get what it normally should compared to my 8 and PW. Hard to figure out.

I'm exactly the same with my 9i and PW. I have to really go hard with the 9 to get what it normally should compared to my 8 and PW. Hard to figure out.
Ended up playing at a course Saturday that took me past Edwin Watts on the way home. 9 iron was two degrees weak. Bent to stock loft.

Back