Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Tried the CK Pro Blue 60s in the Speed today. First drive right down the middle and thought I had made the best golf-related decision in months... but then only hit one other good one. Lost so many way right, but I could feel the dip or whatever I was doing causing that shite. One of those kinds of rounds that makes me think I need a Max instead of the Speed. :cautious:

What I find quite remarkable with my Max LS is that I literally find I do not get any penalty strokes off the tee. The face is so consistent that it wants to keep the ball in play, mind you I don’t always hit the fairway but at least I’ll be in the rough able to hit it a second time. Just solid, consistent performance.

Tried the CK Pro Blue 60s in the Speed today. First drive right down the middle and thought I had made the best golf-related decision in months... but then only hit one other good one. Lost so many way right, but I could feel the dip or whatever I was doing causing that shite. One of those kinds of rounds that makes me think I need a Max instead of the Speed. :cautious:
I liked the Speed A LOT. The MAX LS is a game changer (for me).

I continue to hit my Max 9 times out of 10 very good, like real good, but that one time I miss, I duck hook it hard left and it litterally only goes like 100 yards. I know it is me, not the club, but I am very happy with it, just got to figure out how why I do the duck hook on rare occassion.

Like the Speed Fairways - great feel, easy to launch. Using a Riptide 60 in the 4 wd, and Riptide 70 in the 7 wd. Seems like a smooth tempo shaft.

Last edited:
Epic Speed was good today, only missed 3 fairways in our scramble. The misses where still in playable area. Playing with a guy who was playing a Ping G425 you could really tell the difference in sound between the two.

Has anyone given a good test to the Max LS vs the triple diamond?

I have a Club Champion driver fitting this Friday (thanks to THP!!!!!!!!! 😁😁😁) and plan to try out the tripD for fun.

Last edited:
Has anyone given a good test to the Max LS vs the triple diamond?

I have a Club Champion driver fitting this Friday (thanks to THP!!!!!!!!! 😁😁😁) and plan to try out the tripD for fun.
Very interested to hear your thoughts. I'm in the same boat

After two nine hole excursions and one round of 18, the Max LS appears to be the real deal. Going from the B21 I was a bit worried that I would be bringing in the right side more into play and a more penal miss, but that is not the case so far.

I've got a Max LS head on the way and I can't wait to see if it works as well for me as I think it will 😬

12 fairways today with a long drive of 258. Just nice little small draws on most of my drives. Had the Riptide shaft plugged into it and it works for me.

Gearing up for the TPC Colorado member guest tournament that starts this Thursday. It will be the first “real” tournament I’ve ever played outside of a ton of scramble style tourneys for work, etc. I’m feeling really good about my tee game right now and only hope I can bring my ‘A game’ from the fairways ;) Putter has been working so far this season and the only real risk is my approach game
Wish me luck please. I’ll need it

After 2 crap rounds in a row with the XB, it has been benched and the Max LS is back in the bag.
Update on this...gamed the Max LS this last Friday and I just couldn't get it turned over. I don't know if it's the shaft or what, but I can't handle loosing stuff right that much. I played a wide open course and that saved me a lot! For some reason the XB is so much easier to turn over. Not only that, the Max LS face feels much stiffer than the XB if that makes any sense at all. I think a lot of it is to do with the shaft. I can't feel the MMT load like I can the Lin-Q purple.

EDIT: I need to add that I have the same shave in my fwy woods (Mavrik Max 3/5) in the 70x and it is fantastic. I'm not sure what it is. The only other thing I can think of is the swing weight. When I first got the Max LS, I had straight to baby fade ball flight. I then went through a bout where I was losing everything right, bad, and then had a swing change and was back to straight to baby fade. Now, after introducing the XB to the picture, it's weird because the XB turns over so much easier and my miss has actually become left with it, but then through the Max LS in the bag and it felt like I was swinging a stiff board and the face just felt so firm. I really think it's the shaft...:unsure::unsure:

Last edited:
I've been hitting the speed 5 wood really well off the deck recently. It has a great ball flight with a baby draw and I'm getting more confident with this shot.

What I find quite remarkable with my Max LS is that I literally find I do not get any penalty strokes off the tee. The face is so consistent that it wants to keep the ball in play, mind you I don’t always hit the fairway but at least I’ll be in the rough able to hit it a second time. Just solid, consistent performance.

I only have a very limited experience with the Max LS but that is exactly what my experience has been. I hit two this past weekend that I was fully expecting to see the ball sailing into the woods but they ended up staying in play.

I may have an LS on the way to go head to head with my speed smoke black rdx combo. I'm very interested to see the results and think the LS will be the better fit for my swing but we shall see.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

The distance I get out of the Max LS on thin drives is completely silly….

Played near my Mother in Laws house this AM. Wet, slow conditions. Played the course about a dozen times and I’ve had many solid rounds there. I miss hit two drives longer than some of my best. And my best have been very good at this course.

I continue to fight my driver swing a bit, but the Ls was so good this morning. Was only 25 yards short of the green on a healthy uphill 328 yard hole. And I hit it low on the face!!!

Epic Speed was good today going 13/14 FIR. Just consistent in every way, little draws or small fades when needed.
Playing the Riptide in it right now and its working.

My MAX LS has been and continues to be stellar. One issue that I am having is that for whatever reason the screw that holds the head on gets loose and I only discover it when I get a funky result from a good swing. So I keep the tool in my bag and I have checked it and lo and behold the head has loosened off. This is happened three times this year to me. Anyone else experiencing that or have a solution?

I still hit the Epic Speed the longest of any drivers this year when all things align for me with the swing.

It's been well documented that I lost my tee game out of nowhere about two months ago. Well I've been working hard these past two months on the range figuring stuff out. It's coming along, though slower than I would have liked. But recently, I'm getting some pretty fantastic distance. And that is starting to happen more regularly. And my mishits, are starting to go as far as what my normal hits went on a good day. This driver is a weapon. Just gotta get the wielder, more consistent! But I'm getting there!

The Epic Speed mated with the HZRDUS Green for me is just amazing - I have the confidence to "step on it" without my high balloon push I experienced before.

Despite a bad swing, this driver just works for me - something I thought I had with the Epic Flash SZ...but haven't had this level of confidence since my Taylormade R11s...

My Epic Max never disappoints. I've had her for about 3 months now and I've gained about 20 yards consistently (sometimes more) off the tee. It's crazy how forgiving my miss hits are now. I'm shocked at how great this driver is even for someone with a slow swing speed like me.

The Max LS is a beast and the more time I have with it, the more impressed I am with it. The last two times I’ve played have been in scramble events which are always dicey for good play, but I’ve have driven the ball about as well as I could hope even while my swing has not felt great. The lack of distance loss is shocking is the thing that stands out the most. The ball just wants to go straight and far.

Had my first outing with the new Max LS and the results were promising, but there's work to be done. What I found, with the settings at -1/N and weight about 2/3 of the way to the toe side of the track, was the newfound draw with the driver remains but is definitely dialed down. Unfortunately I picked the head up at the post office and headed down to the golf course so I didn't get any time to really play with it so the results were mixed.

Hole 5 - dogleg slightly left, so I was trying to hit a draw anyway, but over cook it and lose the ball left. Not a great swing, but I was pleased to see a strong draw rather than the straight up hook I had been seeing.

Hole 6 - Best of the bunch. Pretty much a dead straight hole, line up down the right side of the fairway and produce a nice slight draw that gets out to 275

Hole 8 - Straight with woods right and pond left. Aim down the middle and over draw the shot into the pond. Again, ball is moving left quite a bit but it's not a hook so I'm okay with it despite the lousy result

Hole 10 - Another straight shot, another similar result. Again start the shot right down the middle of the fairway and it draws off to the left but stays in play just in the rough. Definitely the most well struck of the bunch as this one gets out to 295. At this point we're running out of daylight so I decide to take another swing with this one and to trust what I was seeing. So I line up down the right side of the fairway and fire away. Similar result as it draws back but starting it up the right side lands me in the middle of the fairway and this one was a solid 20 yards deeper than the first one so very pleased in that aspect.

All in all I'm very encouraged, as the (hundredth) new swing seems to work well with the driver and has really helped my iron play. I think my next move with this will be to adjust the weight all the way toward the toe side of the track as, from what I've been able to find, that should help tone down the draw even further. Please correct me if that's wrong :LOL:. I'll also play around with my grip to see if I can find the right combination.

The one thing that really jumped as different for me was the sound. I'm not usually one to notice sound but this has a very different sound than the B21 had, being sharper to my ears. Not unpleasant, but definitely different.

Back