Bridgestone e12 Contact: Can a Surlyn Ball Spin?

For those looking for a thorough rundown of the e12 contact, this one merits a little nudge. (y)

For those looking for a thorough rundown of the e12 contact, this one merits a little nudge. (y)

Thanks. I just looked at the video of Dan again. I have a dozen of the B12 balls that I will be putting into play within the next month.

I wish he would have done a side-by-side comparison between the e12 contact and his urethane gamer. None the less, I think I am going to try the E12 ball out and see for myself.

Last edited:
I don't have a launch monitor for spin numbers, but I've been getting the e12 Contact to stop on greens anywhere from an inch to 6-7 feet from its pitch mark on approach shots. And I'm not a super high-spin player. I really like the performance of this ball from tee to green.

I don't have a launch monitor for spin numbers, but I've been getting the e12 Contact to stop on greens anywhere from an inch to 6-7 feet from its pitch mark on approach shots. And I'm not a super high-spin player. I really like the performance of this ball from tee to green.
Theyre a really good golf ball. I actually put my whole girls team into them last season and two of my freshman boys.

I'm a senior golfer, hc 12 and have been playing the e12 Contact ever since it was released. Always looking for a better ball and this one sounded intriguing.

I've had excellent results with the e12... much better than I thought I would. Here's a summary of my experience.

Driver - the ball just trampolines off the face of my driver (Epic Max 10.5). I'm hitting longer and straighter drives than I ever have. Seems like this ball just wants to go straight so if you get it on your target line, and that line is the fairway, then you're going to hit more fairways.

Irons - Once again, the soft feel just inspires me to hit flusher shots. I'm getting excellent distance. No problem holding the greens although I typically play it a little short and let it run onto the greens, but that has more to do with my not being a long hitter.

Wedges - No problem hitting greens and sticking within a foot or two of my landing spot.

Putter - Might take a little getting used to because of the softer feel, but once you have it dialed in, you'll find that it is very consistent and reliable.

Played 18 holes the other day on a course I've never played before and shot a season best 78.

Played 9 holes yesterday and shot a 38 with 3 holes that I was putting for par and ended with a bogey.

I think most mid-handicap golfers would find this ball really helpful in achieving lower scores; especially, if they need a little extra distance.

Its pretty well-known that surlyn balls spin just fine on full swings but its still never going to spin enough on partial shots. If you think that its going to spin enough on a greenside pitch shot, well, good luck.
Thats an instance where you just need a urethane cover.
[/QUe

Most amateurs shouldn't even try this kind of shot, because they can't generate enough spin. I certainly am one of those golfers. I find that the e12 offers more than adequate stopping power when played from around the green. I have no problem doing a flop shot with it and getting it to stop in the same distance as my former Maxfli Tour and Titleist Tour Speed - both of which I have compared it to.

Had an 80 footer yesterday hit with a Ben Hogan Equalizer II wedge and it stopped within a foot of where it landed. Not sure I could do any better with any other ball.

If most golfers suddenly found their ball stopping too quickly, I would venture a guess that they would ended up further from the hole than had the ball rolled out a little.

I think the distance advantage that the e12 Contact offers is more than offset by any loss of spin. I've compared it to the Maxfli Tour, Titleist Tour Soft, Titleist Tour Speed, and Taylormade Tour Response and in every case the e12 was longer off the driver and, most of the time, longer with irons.

Yesterday, I played two holes, tee to green, with the e12 and Mizuno 566. It was no contest on every shot. The e12 was longer and resulted in a lower score on both holes. Actually, hit the drive a little better with the 566 and the e12 was still longer.

PXL_20210813_181052498.jpg

Picked a dozen up for my couple rounds I hopefully get to play on this vacation

I first came to THP looking for a review on the e12 soft. I played it awhile and switched to BRX because the Bridgestone online fitter suggested it and I think I should play urethane. I then fell in love with Triple Track and went to ERC for a bit and then eventually CSX and CSXLS.

That all is just a prologue to say that I am back on the e12 train. There is something about this ball that just suits me. It is not the longest ball I have played off the tee with driver, but I think it stays in play more often and it gets great distance off the tee with my 3W. It feels great off irons and I think I hit more greens and they stop quick because I hit the ball high. I played this shooting a PB last week after hitting my BRX OB on hole 3. So for the time being, I am just going to go with these. I have no numbers to tell you why this ball works so well for me. As far as short game goes, I tend to get myself in trouble when I try to spin a ball and these work well for what I need.
D6007CC6-759A-4CDA-9AE5-CEA3F40ACCE0.jpeg

I first came to THP looking for a review on the e12 soft. I played it awhile and switched to BRX because the Bridgestone online fitter suggested it and I think I should play urethane. I then fell in love with Triple Track and went to ERC for a bit and then eventually CSX and CSXLS.

That all is just a prologue to say that I am back on the e12 train. There is something about this ball that just suits me. It is not the longest ball I have played off the tee with driver, but I think it stays in play more often and it gets great distance off the tee with my 3W. It feels great off irons and I think I hit more greens and they stop quick because I hit the ball high. I played this shooting a PB last week after hitting my BRX OB on hole 3. So for the time being, I am just going to go with these. I have no numbers to tell you why this ball works so well for me. As far as short game goes, I tend to get myself in trouble when I try to spin a ball and these work well for what I need.
View attachment 9027750

Love the personalization on the ball. I'm not a fan of the matte red. I really like the matte yellow. I have 2 dozen of the white (bought because of reviews on here) but I haven't put them in play yet.

Wet greens?

Back