TaylorMade P•790 Irons & UDI Preview

I have yhe 2018 version and while the looks of these are an improvement, I don't see myself actively seeking them out.. but who knows, I'd have to finally do a fitting to see what to upgrade to next

I think these are really well done this time around, especially like the looks of the UDI and sounds like something that would be great off the tee for me

Home Run for Taylormade.....large size easy to hit; ball goes forever; plenty of spin for a distance iron; long/mid irons have better launch height; nice new finish; nice sound, and feel.

Home Run for Taylormade.....large size easy to hit; ball goes forever; plenty of spin for a distance iron; long/mid irons have better launch height; nice new finish; nice sound, and feel.
Have you hit them? Is there ACTUALLY plenty of spin this time? Because that’s where both previous iterations created issues for a lot of us.

Have you hit them? Is there ACTUALLY plenty of spin this time? Because that’s where both previous iterations created issues for a lot of us.
Plenty of youtube reviews...check TXG.
Plenty of spin for the descent angle due to higher launch.

Sent from my Note 9

Plenty of youtube reviews...check TXG.
Plenty of spin for the descent angle due to higher launch.

Sent from my Note 9
Ah, that’s right, because everyone swings as fast as they do ;)

I don’t watch those videos, but I look forward to feedback when THP’ers get to hit them. Hopefully we have a set in hand eventually as well.

Ah, that’s right, because everyone swings as fast as they do ;)

I don’t watch those videos, but I look forward to feedback when THP’ers get to hit them. Hopefully we have a set in hand eventually as well.
There are others that had the same spin numbers...try Michael Newton Golf....excellent spin!

Sent from my Note 9

There are others that had the same spin numbers...try Michael Newton Golf....excellent spin!

Sent from my Note 9
I’ll take your word for it, I’d just rather see some feedback from THP’ers with mortal golf swings, because that’s there the previous iterations of these struggled the most (y)

i’ve watched a few other reviewers and to me the spin was not consistent enough.

I keep seeing an issue with spin talked about with these. I play the first gen P-790s, and I am what I would consider a low spin player. I don’t remember what the numbers were as I was fit 3 years or so, but on the course, at least firing into greens, I get plenty of spin on these. No problems holding greens, and as someone that doesn’t launch their irons particularly high, I don’t see issues of these falling out of the sky. I feels I generally need more spin not less, but I have no issues with these whatsoever 🤷🏻‍♂️

I keep seeing an issue with spin talked about with these. I play the first gen P-790s, and I am what I would consider a low spin player. I don’t remember what the numbers were as I was fit 3 years or so, but on the course, at least firing into greens, I get plenty of spin on these. No problems holding greens, and as someone that doesn’t launch their irons particularly high, I don’t see issues of these falling out of the sky. I feels I generally need more spin not less, but I have no issues with these whatsoever 🤷🏻‍♂️
You’re fortunate then, it’s been a really big fitting nightmare generation after generation for these got a ton of folks. But when something works,
RUN with it!

One of my playing partners just got fit into these and has a set on the way. I'm definitely going to try and steal some swings on the range if he will let me. I have actually never hit a Taylormade iron so curious to try them out. He hit them a bunch at the shop before ordering and he loved them.

I never had spin issues with my 2019 either. I ended up selling them because I just didn’t get along with my shaft choice in them. Aesthetically, I think the 2021 look a fair amount better, imo.

I never had spin issues with my 2019 either. I ended up selling them because I just didn’t get along with my shaft choice in them. Aesthetically, I think the 2021 look a fair amount better, imo.
They’re definitely the best looking iteration yet,

Similar experience for me in the 2019s. I'm a high ball hitter but didn't have any issues stopping this on the greens. I did not like the shaft pairing that I ended up with and didn't especially care for the feel, so moved on. I agree that the '21 version is the best looking one yet.

I was able to get a couple rounds in with the new 2021 790's this weekend. Sound and feel are much improved over the last version, and it's not even close, to me that is. I couldn't stand the last version, tested several times to be sure. I currently play the i210's with DG 120's. I ordered a stock set 4-AW with DG 105's. The 790's are about a full club longer than the i210's. Feel is subjective but I think that the i210 feel and sound better. Performance wise the 790's are more forgiving than the 210's which I was a little surprised because I haven't found a "players" iron that has been more forgiving than the 210. I tested the toe of the 790 a few times and the distance loss was minimal, same for slightly heavy shots as well, I was shocked how well they performed on a heavy miss. I still need a couple more rounds in to settle with the lighter shafts but so far TM has a winner on their hands.

Anyone else get a chance to get them on the course yet?

Saw these today for the first time. Like everyone said these are the best looking iteration to date. I was quite shocked at how much I like the look of them actually. The only thing they could do to make them look better is then that top line down some. Or at least bevel it a little bit. I really want to hit these. I love my 921 forged but would like to throw these at them and see what happens. I really shouldn’t though because I like my 921 forged and want new wedges instead but oh the temptation

can't wait to get a round in with mine.

can't wait to get a round in with mine.

I'm really interested to see how these perform when people start getting them out. The 2019s had so much potential for me and these look way better IMO.

I played a bunch of rounds with my old 1st gen p790s. These look so much better. Definitely something I would consider adding to the bag when I decide to burn it all down and start over.

I want to hit these side by side to the forged mizuno. Distance and feel please.

I'm really interested to see how these perform when people start getting them out. The 2019s had so much potential for me and these look way better IMO.

if these feel better than the 19's, it'll be an automatic win for me...i didn't mind the feel of the 19's but beating out the Z565's in feel would be something.

played 13 holes...played some extra irons shots...the quick reaction is i love these. i didn't miss a beat. distance and feel is there...maybe a little clicky but that doesn't bother me. guess i should try and get on the sim and see what the numbers are at some point.

Back