In theory, these are more forgiving than the blueprint.

Its an interesting theory because from a purely technical sense they are...At least in terms of MOI. That is where I struggle and I have mentioned this in the past too. MOI has become a catch all buzz for all things forgiveness without really much of an explanation as to what it does. A few years back we shot this with @vgolfman talking about what MOI is with drivers, but it relates the same to irons.

Its an interesting theory because from a purely technical sense they are...At least in terms of MOI. That is where I struggle and I have mentioned this in the past too. MOI has become a catch all buzz for all things forgiveness without really much of an explanation as to what it does. A few years back we shot this with @vgolfman talking about what MOI is with drivers, but it relates the same to irons.

I feel like "forgiveness" is a tricky thing to quantify - like is it a physics based total weight thing, a weight placement thing (low vs. mid. high), a COR thing, a turf interaction thing, a materials (steel, tungsten, titanium, unobtanium) thing.....OR is it more about the launch conditions and the persons perception.
I think the answer is that it's all of these bits together and when they align for the given person's swing/strike/launch patterns, the light rays of the golf Gods shines down upon them.

It would be interesting if there were no numbers on irons and your sole focus was how far each one went and how consistently one could hit those numbers. Like Lee Westwood does, there would be a fill in spot on each club where you could just write down how far each one goes. That would be interesting.

I feel like "forgiveness" is a tricky thing to quantify - like is it a physics based total weight thing, a weight placement thing (low vs. mid. high), a COR thing, a turf interaction thing, a materials (steel, tungsten, titanium, unobtanium) thing.....OR is it more about the launch conditions and the persons perception.
I think the answer is that it's all of these bits together and when they align for the given person's swing/strike/launch patterns, the light rays of the golf Gods shines down upon them.

It would be interesting if there were no numbers on irons and your sole focus was how far each one went and how consistently one could hit those numbers. Like Lee Westwood does, there would be a fill in spot on each club where you could just write down how far each one goes. That would be interesting.

Im not sure if you watched the video I attached with MV, but he covers that a bit.

Im not sure if you watched the video I attached with MV, but he covers that a bit.

Typed the response above and watching video now. Should have watched the video first it seems!

so did they achieve anything with i59 that blueprint wasn't doing? and if someone is looking for spin and flight consistency in a compact demanding footprint, isn't that what blades are supposed to do?
They're not as compact or demanding as blueprints.

My thought is, if they hadn't chose to make it hollow, if it was just a consistent and more traditional cb, but with some kind of tech forgiveness story, that looked great, and was for better players, would the entire conversation be different? I think it would. I think the hollow part really skews the entire thing, because of it's associations to this point. If people didn't know it was hollow, it would just be what it is.

My thought is, if they hadn't chose to make it hollow, if it was just a consistent and more traditional cb, but with some kind of tech forgiveness story, that looked great, and was for better players, would the entire conversation be different? I think it would. I think the hollow part really skews the entire thing, because of it's associations to this point. If people didn't know it was hollow, it would just be what it is.

Maybe. But nobody really confused that with the Mizuno HMB line. It might have been a bit better explained, and certainly was priced differently however.

Maybe. But nobody really confused that with the Mizuno HMB line. It might have been a bit better explained, and certainly was priced differently however.
I think them being out in front of that definitely made a difference in expectations and preconceived ideas for sure. And they didn't cost as much as some golf carts, so that probably helped. Lol

interesting. i'd love to see a side-by-side from a good ball-striker blueprint vs i59 to see how the dispersions align.

i'll bite my tongue on the second thought, because i'm not sure i can separate my own issues with ping irons from genuine curiosity. if i find the time to hit them, i will for gits and shiggles and post some thoughts.

interesting. i'd love to see a side-by-side from a good ball-striker blueprint vs i59 to see how the dispersions align.

i'll bite my tongue on the second thought, because i'm not sure i can separate my own issues with ping irons from genuine curiosity. if i find the time to hit them, i will for gits and shiggles and post some thoughts.
I'm honestly not sure why you'd need to. They're no blueprint.

Also,

did they hurt you?? 😥

I'm honestly not sure why you'd need to. They're no blueprint.

Also,

did they hurt you?? 😥

isn't the i59 replacing blueprint?

and yes, i had a dumpster fire with my one-and-only ping iron purchase. it sucked dealing with ping. and the clubs sucked too. i've hit ping releases a handful of times since then and always been very underwhelmed. but g400 max was incredible for me, and i really liked the g425 fairway woods (kinda curious about a 7w at the moment). so i don't hate EVERYTHING they do lol

isn't the i59 replacing blueprint?

and yes, i had a dumpster fire with my one-and-only ping iron purchase. it sucked dealing with ping. and the clubs sucked too. i've hit ping releases a handful of times since then and always been very underwhelmed. but g400 max was incredible for me, and i really liked the g425 fairway woods (kinda curious about a 7w at the moment). so i don't hate EVERYTHING they do lol
Supposed to be replacing iBlade. Or depending on who you ask, both, or in between. I think the official is mostly iBlade replacement.

Yes, it is iBlades replacement.

I hit the i59 today and was really impressed. Looks like an MB at address but forgiveness of an CB. These are more forgiving than my apex mbs.

Hit the blueprints along with it as well and while it felt great, the i59 is just more well rounded and versatile to offer a bit more flexibility on mishits. Great spin numbers and launch for me. I'd take the i59 over the blueprints anytime.

I also hit a bunch of other irons as well - t100, t200, 919t, apex pros...nothing came close to the i59.

It definitely has my attention, just not sure if it is worth the $250 per club tag.

I hit the i59 a BUNCH today.

I don't know if I was still just cranky about the kitchen and I wearing most of my breakfast this morning after my omelet pan broke, or what, but I was not feeling them.

The freaking arccos grip was driving me INSANE. The omelet frustrations may have played a role in that because it doesn't usually bug me that bad. As someone that plays +1/4" though, and anchors their left ring and pinky fingers like the jaws of death, the last 3/4" of the club wiggling is annoying. And I was smoothing everything except these, so that was doubly annoying.

The result was a very middling session where for the first time I didn't really love them, and it probably wasn't even their fault. I couldn't get into a full groove with them though and the data lagged behind the others. Had me looking for things to not like. So, I will try to wipe it from memory... and fail. Strike one, i59!

I hit the i59 a BUNCH today.

I don't know if I was still just cranky about the kitchen and I wearing most of my breakfast this morning after my omelet pan broke, or what, but I was not feeling them.

The freaking arccos grip was driving me INSANE. The omelet frustrations may have played a role in that because it doesn't usually bug me that bad. As someone that plays +1/4" though, and anchors their left ring and pinky fingers like the jaws of death, the last 3/4" of the club wiggling is annoying. And I was smoothing everything except these, so that was doubly annoying.

The result was a very middling session where for the first time I didn't really love them, and it probably wasn't even their fault. I couldn't get into a full groove with them though and the data lagged behind the others. Had me looking for things to not like. So, I will try to wipe it from memory... and fail. Strike one, i59!

reviews everywhere seem to be pretty underwhelming. I’m going to try find an outdoor place that has them to hit them again. This should tell me pretty quick if I like them or not.

For the cost they are at, I wonder if people have super high expectations for it to perform the way they are expecting.

reviews everywhere seem to be pretty underwhelming. I’m going to try find an outdoor place that has them to hit them again. This should tell me pretty quick if I like them or not.

For the cost they are at, I wonder if people have super high expectations for it to perform the way they are expecting.
High, maybe. I think people have the wrong expectations, and it's probably mostly the fault of the manufacturer for lack of better communication on them. THe reviews that went in with the right expectations were favorable from what I've seen.

I've hit them indoor and out, and have liked them. It was incredibly frustrating today to not be able to have them keep up with others when they've done so just fine previously. I have no idea why the grip was bugging me so much today over other times. I'm going to go mash it again soon to get the taste of my mouth. The longer until they become available though, the better the chance I'll move on to something else. I'm not know for my patience when it comes to clubs.

I found a rainy weekday to visit my PGASS to hit these for the first time. I brought my i210 7 iron to compare and had the whole store to myself to get better acquainted to the i59.

To second a previous comment, did I expect too much from these? Does knowing it’s hollowed out with aluminum change how I hit them?
I have no idea except a feeling of underwhelmed

It was fascinating having a previous post question what MOI / Forgiveness means and how it is quantified for each person.

What shaft pairs well, sole width, feel, how it looks at address, how much offset, does it perform, consistency of spin. Etc.
I loved the iblades. They spun a bit too much with DGS300 but I had better luck with PX 6.0

The i59 I hit had the PX I/0. My AOA is about 3-4 down on an iron and I feel iron play is the strongest part of my game. For some reason, I just wasn’t puring these.

Mizuno shaft optimizer indicates that i am between a stiff and x stiff with a 95mph 7 iron. I like a high launching window with good spin so I tend to go with the softer option.

As an equipment ho, I feel like there’s some designs that I want to hit well and love, but it wasn’t meant to be. This seems to be where I’m at with i59. (Hypothetically speaking, cost not considered)

I’ve done at least two iron fittings wanting to buy a specific club, and then realizing that what the Ping i210 gives me is exactly what is in my bag. What they give me is a ton of GIR, more than my share of stuffing it close, and a sense of confidence that I can repeat those results.

I aspire to cultivate the game necessary to have a set of Blueprints as my #1 over i59.

Last edited:
Looking forward to swinging a couple of these this weekend.

I found a rainy weekday to visit my PGASS to hit these for the first time. I brought my i210 7 iron to compare and had the whole store to myself to get better acquainted to the i59.

To second a previous comment, did I expect too much from these? Does knowing it’s hollowed out with aluminum change how I hit them?
I have no idea except a feeling of underwhelmed

It was fascinating having a previous post question what MOI / Forgiveness means and how it is quantified for each person.

What shaft pairs well, sole width, feel, how it looks at address, how much offset, does it perform, consistency of spin. Etc.
I loved the iblades. They spun a bit too much with DGS300 but I had better luck with PX 6.0

The i59 I hit had the PX I/0. My AOA is about 3-4 down on an iron and I feel iron play is the strongest part of my game. For some reason, I just wasn’t puring these.

Mizuno shaft optimizer indicates that i am between a stiff and x stiff with a 95mph 7 iron. I like a high launching window with good spin so I tend to go with the softer option.

As an equipment ho, I feel like there’s some designs that I want to hit well and love, but it wasn’t meant to be. This seems to be where I’m at with i59. (Hypothetically speaking, cost not considered)

I’ve done at least two iron fittings wanting to buy a specific club, and then realizing that what the Ping i210 gives me is exactly what is in my bag. What they give me is a ton of GIR, more than my share of stuffing it close, and a sense of confidence that I can repeat those results.

I aspire to cultivate the game necessary to have a set of Blueprints as my #1 over i59.

Great insight. that seems to be the trend with many that it was underwhelming. My biggest wonder for the i59 is if it is as forgiving as a blade and if it has similar forgiveness of the i210.

And it seems people who have played the iblades are the ones doing well with the i59.

I may need to hit the i210 and iblades to figure out the differences. I’m currently gaming the apex mbs.While I hit them well, I’m still searching for a bit more forgiveness.

Mm. So many little things keeping me from jumping in head first. Couple sessions of not quite there numbers, love the LS 6.0 as a stock shaft while abhoring the arccos grip, price, i500 replacement for a long iron won't be out until spring...

I just. don't. know.

Mm. So many little things keeping me from jumping in head first. Couple sessions of not quite there numbers, love the LS 6.0 as a stock shaft while abhoring the arccos grip, price, i500 replacement for a long iron won't be out until spring...

I just. don't. know.
I might have missed it but is there an i500 replacement coming out?

I might have missed it but is there an i500 replacement coming out?
I was told spring, which could mean anywhere from Feb. to..... 2029 in this crazy world I suppose. Might not matter in the end as it sounds more in line with the past i500 than the i59 aluminum core design. Just adds to my unsureness about pulling the trigger.

Leaning towards doing it I think. Soon.

Reactions: MH
I was told spring, which could mean anywhere from Feb. to..... 2029 in this crazy world I suppose. Might not matter in the end as it sounds more in line with the past i500 than the i59 aluminum core design. Just adds to my unsureness about pulling the trigger.

Leaning towards doing it I think. Soon.

What is another set of irons to you :). I am surprised you don’t have them already.

What is another set of irons to you :). I am surprised you don’t have them already.
I'm really only thinking of doing it now because I might move on from some others. I like the look and shape and everything else I've said in this thread, but they don't really jump out as must-haves at that price. Could be fun until the next long term set comes along though.

Reactions: MH
I'm really only thinking of doing it now because I might move on from some others. I like the look and shape and everything else I've said in this thread, but they don't really jump out as must-haves at that price. Could be fun until the next long term set comes along though.
Just get it over with, looking forward to hearing how they stack up against your tcb’s

Just get it over with, looking forward to hearing how they stack up against your tcb’s
20211016_164637.jpg

Did it. Need to grab an MG3 gap wedge, but I think I'll really like the look and feel transition between them. I feel like they'll pair quite nicely.

Back