TESTED! Srixon ZX4 Irons Review

So I was testing some other stuff and couldn't resist hitting a few with a ZX4. One thing I really like about it over the ball, is that despite it having some generous meat and top line, it really doesn't look like a BIG club. At least compared to some others. Just all the things that make me reach for it when I see it shine through. Like, Forged Tec quality hiding-the-goodies.

I was testing some high spin combos and I figured one of those balls would be the best match for me so I hit CSX with it. And then I didn't really have a good reference point for the numbers with what I had with me, so we bent a ZX7 to my spec (33.5*) and hit a few with that. ZX4 was on par with a 6i for me (my ZX7 is 29.5*) at the end of the day I suppose, maybe just a tad less spin. 16.4 launch, 134 ball, just under 200y carry, 4977 spin avg. Good height. All between 100 and 110' right where I like it. I assume that would be about the norm for me because despite being tired and a little sore the ZX7 7i was pretty near stock number for me. 17.7, 129.5, 186 carry, right about 6k. So the difference for me was about a degree and a half of launch, 4.5 mph, about a thousand spin, and a club or so length. Would be a little different for me with a stock loft ZX7 I'm sure and a ZX5 is a degree stronger than that. I was trying throw a bit on the ZX4 though after the first one was kind of a bullet, and did. Different for everyone.

So is feel, but it's impressive in my opinion, and I could see why Dan was so excited about it. I could have a whole debate with someone about that thing actually being hollow. I mean, is it filled with something? Are you sure? 'Cause it sounds and feels pretty solid. They did a great job of .. I don't want to say deadening, but taking out that typical hollow feel. It feels fast without being springy, and it doesn't ring, at least indoors, and I'm crazy sensitive to that. It feels really nice and hollows with a fairly firm ball don't always. I like it. They really just nailed the whole ZX release imo and I'm continually impressed.

Last edited:
Wow, great video, as I posted last week, I am in search of new irons as I am hitting 5 + YO irons now and feel time to upgrade. These will definitely get a look. I think I hear that a combo set, maybe the 4-6 ZX4 and 7-PW ZX5, would be good? Thoughts? I generally shoot around 85-90 most rounds.
5 YO, I'm still playing Zings :) , I am thinking some NEWER clubs...maybe 585s.

Anyone have any new feedback on these? Stay safe!

I just can't stop thinking about how tight the 7 iron was when I was testing, with a shaft I'm not typically used to playing and basically right out of the car from a 4+ hour drive.

Wondering if others who have gamed them or hit them experienced similar added forgiveness or accuracy as they moved into the longer irons..

To me, the entire ZX line is "forgiving." I have the ZX5s now but when I was gaming the ZX7s, the 4-iron was plenty "forgiving." In fact, I posted about it a few times and now I've ordered a 4-iron to go with the ZX5 set, too. Just an awesome series of irons.

haha that was great! Love the excitement. Those really seem like some pretty damn sweet clubs. I've really liked what I've seen from Srixon for a while, but have never hit any of their offerings. I'm kinda stoked to see they have these in LH. Gonna look up if any of the local shops have them.

With as popular and good as the zx7s are I don’t feel this club gets it’s due.. very solid.

Anyone using a 4 iron as a driving/tee club??

Anyone using a 4 iron as a driving/tee club??
I've been pondering getting one for that very reason.
Hit the 7 iron again this weekend and just have SO much fun with it when I do.

I've been pondering getting one for that very reason.
Hit the 7 iron again this weekend and just have SO much fun with it when I do.

These were the hottest irons I hit all weekend. Just silly.

These were the hottest irons I hit all weekend. Just silly.
So good, right? While I'd normally say their 7 series is what stands out to me in the set, but every time I get the three heads in my hand, and have a shot to hit, I'll defer to ZX4 to get the job done, especially at long range.

Feeling pretty comfortable saying this is the gem in that lineup.

So good, right? While I'd normally say their 7 series is what stands out to me in the set, but every time I get the three heads in my hand, and have a shot to hit, I'll defer to ZX4 to get the job done, especially at long range.

Feeling pretty comfortable saying this is the gem in that lineup.
#FullSet

hahaha, seriously though. Probably.

This is where it gets rather interesting for you and is probably best for another thread.

Each time you are in the tech studio, and we record a video on some larger profile iron that lowers spin and goes for days while offering uber forgiveness, you hit amazing shots. Then you go back to your normal profile and also hit great shots, but usually have to bend to hit your launch windows. Yesterday you were recording a video that will air in the future and talked about being a straight away player rather than someone that flights the ball.

It makes perfect sense as long as consistency is in play, that a larger sole and lower spin iron would suit your game rather well.

This is where it gets rather interesting for you and is probably best for another thread.

Each time you are in the tech studio, and we record a video on some larger profile iron that lowers spin and goes for days while offering uber forgiveness, you hit amazing shots. Then you go back to your normal profile and also hit great shots, but usually have to bend to hit your launch windows. Yesterday you were recording a video that will air in the future and talked about being a straight away player rather than someone that flights the ball.

It makes perfect sense as long as consistency is in play, that a larger sole and lower spin iron would suit your game rather well.
It's the classic unknown, right? If there was a full set in the studio, it would have been on Bluegrass with me on Saturday, no doubt it my mind.

It's the classic unknown, right? If there was a full set in the studio, it would have been on Bluegrass with me on Saturday, no doubt it my mind.
I relate it back to another video we shot with a comparison of two different irons and contact showed you hit the larger ones better.

Obviously you have the abilities to hit all the clubs you choose well, but it is certainly an interesting debate. For someone that doesn't work the ball, regardless of skill level, would the larger sole and lower spin tendencies help even the best players?

I relate it back to another video we shot with a comparison of two different irons and contact showed you hit the larger ones better.

Obviously you have the abilities to hit all the clubs you choose well, but it is certainly an interesting debate. For someone that doesn't work the ball, regardless of skill level, would the larger sole and lower spin tendencies help even the best players?
This is honestly where I'm at. I like the profile of smaller irons, but in the end I don't work the ball, so I'm sure a bigger, more forgiving profile is best for my game. It's just finding that balance, while also taking into account the data to see what is best for my scoring.

These miiiiight be an itch I need to scratch in the long irons relatively soon.
#FullSet

I believe I have a 4 iron in the Tech Studio.

These miiiiight be an itch I need to scratch in the long irons relatively soon.
I'd like to see how a 4i compares to your current 3i...

That is a set I wish I had tested during my fitting yesterday. I told fitter to set me up with clubs for the future, at 63 I will be needing help in the near future. Does anyone feel they swing and feel like the ZX5s which I was Happily fitted into?

That is a set I wish I had tested during my fitting yesterday. I told fitter to set me up with clubs for the future, at 63 I will be needing help in the near future. Does anyone feel they swing and feel like the ZX5s which I was Happily fitted into?
I have the ZX4 in a 5 iron and the rest of my set are ZX5’s. They feel the same for the most part, the ZX4 has a thicker sole and are hollow so it sounds a little different. They are both very nice.

Thank you. Same shafts in each?

Back