Off Course: Player of the Year Voting

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. Hosted by Dan Edwards each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today Dan welcomes THP Staff Writer Josh Babbitt to the show and it goes way off course discussing everything from the Player of the Year to Foodies.

Episode 74 is here and Dan and James discuss the following topics.

Player of the Year Voting
Tour Edge Golf Equipment
How to Fix the FedEx Cup
Olympic Golf
And so much more

You can listen to the show right here, Apple Podcasts or of anywhere you do your listening and downloading from. Search for the Hackers Paradise and make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. After listening, come back over and drop us a note below on what you agree and/or disagree with from the episode.

Continue reading...

Thanks to @Canadan for having me on. Fun show talking about so much. Loved my questions to him at the end too.

Foodies ... I'm in! Guess I know what I'll be listening to on my walk to work today. Oh yeah, the golf portions are usually pretty great too. =)

I laughed out loud on the plane several times thanks to @JB

After listening to that case about the POY I feel like Rahm was robbed. Still think the playoff is stupid

Awesome episode. Listened on my way to work this am. On paper you cannot take the POY away from Cantlay, but when you break it down like you guys did, it makes sense that Rahm was robbed. Taking points and the rankings into consideration with the staggered start, it definitely would have ended differently with Rahm's effort on Sunday. Good explanation of the system also!

Good job, guys!

I was in the Cantley camp.. I do not think I am anymore...

The tour championship is the most boring event of the year.. It needs serious revamping.. I would love for a match play event but @JB makes a good point from the perspective of the tour and marketing. What if it is two guys that are not that interesting? Then its even worse..

So I do not know how to fix it, but as is it is terrible.

The tour championship is the most boring event of the year.. It needs serious revamping.. I would love for a match play event but @JB makes a good point from the perspective of the tour and marketing. What if it is two guys that are not that interesting? Then its even worse..

Could you imagine a final of Kevin Na and Patrick Cantlay, which could have happened this year? They would have had 19 viewers, including their two families.

Could you imagine a final of Kevin Na and Patrick Cantlay, which could have happened this year? They would have had 19 viewers, including their two families.

HAHAHA. yeah, it would be bad as would a number of other final pairings. What if it was English cantley.. It would be a contest of who could be more stoic.

I think bracket style match play for the championship would be fun. But I think golf fans disagree

I think bracket style match play for the championship would be fun. But I think golf fans disagree

If it was Tiger and DJ that were in the Finals it is an absolute winner. But, if it is Hideki and Sungjae it is a big time loser locally.

If it was Tiger and DJ that were in the Finals it is an absolute winner. But, if it is Hideki and Sungjae it is a big time loser locally.
That’s the problem with match play you never know what’s going to happen. Personally I’d love just a normal tournament with the top 20 guys, ditch the dumb stroke advantage.

That’s the problem with match play you never know what’s going to happen. Personally I’d love just a normal tournament with the top 20 guys, ditch the dumb stroke advantage.
Isnt that kind of what they had? The problem I mentioned in the show is you get a guy winning on Sunday, that stands on the sidelines as the other guy wins the FedEx Cup. Its a brutal spot to be in, but they brought this on with a manufactured playoffs. If you want to have the playoffs, this might be the only way to do it.

You could do a Stableford... That encourages guys to come out blasting..

Got to listen to it. Great podcast.

I've got a long transportation process to work so I probably missed some stuff.

Pace of Play penalization - what happens when once group falls behind and pushes everyone else behind do all of those people also get penalized or are we starting with more time between the starts?

I'm making the call ... I root for the US ... unless I don't like it then I'm changing, maybe. =) @Canadan (paraphrasing)

Olympics no show - the old guard. I think it'll be the Will + Collin golfers that go.

@JB I totally agree, it's perfectly okay to not be negative in an article, we don't always need to be negative if it's not a negative story. There's nothing wrong with just saying they are doing a good job and here is what they are doing. It has it's time and place, but that time and place isn't always right here and right now.

Reactions: JB
Great pod. I think the important thing of the playoffs is to factor in the players perspective. We already heard Rahm complain there isn’t a big enough advantage for the top guy in the fed ex standings for the season. I think they wouldn’t sign up for a “level-playing field” tournament although I would personally love matchplay and let the benefit be the seeding.

im not sure what the pga could get the players to sign on for in terms of format changes. I personally like the way it’s currently set up, but would welcome some minor tweaks

Isnt that kind of what they had? The problem I mentioned in the show is you get a guy winning on Sunday, that stands on the sidelines as the other guy wins the FedEx Cup. Its a brutal spot to be in, but they brought this on with a manufactured playoffs. If you want to have the playoffs, this might be the only way to do it.
The guy who won the weekend the last 2 seasons in the finale didn’t win the cup. That’s stupid

The guy who won the weekend the last 2 seasons in the finale didn’t win the cup. That’s stupid
I mean he did with the weekend, but gross, you are correct.

It was worse when literally the winner of the final tournament stood there and watched the guy with more points win the Happy Gilmore check though.

I have to listen in pieces but the Kevin Na slight happened right as I turned it off this morning. I would absolutely be one of those 19 viewers :LOL: Also just throwing it out there that Na also beat Cantlay in strokes in the final and tied Rahm. Not that that has anything to do with who would have watched those two in a final match play setting. It was just mentioned that Rahm beat Cantlay in strokes in the POY discussion so I wanted to throw out that a second player (and third in Xander) also beat him

Excited to listen to the rest of it!

We already heard Rahm complain there isn’t a big enough advantage for the top guy in the fed ex standings for the season. I think they wouldn’t sign up for a “level-playing field” tournament
Dan made the point, even though it was quick, that they need to have the players motivated to be there with the $15 million. How big of an advantage do they want?! I actually hadn't heard him talk about that so that's news to me. It's like they want to be handed the win lol

Dan made the point, even though it was quick, that they need to have the players motivated to be there with the $15 million. How big of an advantage do they want?! I actually hadn't heard him talk about that so that's news to me. It's like they want to be handed the win lol

this was his quote. Which was ironic because he ended up not even being the top dog.

“At the end of the day you could win 15 events, including both playoffs events, and you have a two-shot lead [to start the week at the Tour Championship],” he said. “I understand it's for TV purposes and excitement and just making it more of a winner-take-all, and they give you a two-shot advantage, but over four days that can be gone in two holes.”

I am at all costs against having two winners for the championship. I just think it’s so anti-climatic especially when Tiger won it.

This format at current gives the best route in my opinion to having a unified winner and still giving some sort of advantage. Maybe the strokes given or the differential could be different or other details could be tweaked but I like this much more than the previous.

The 12 course meal sounds fantastic. The pictures were spectacular!

In player of the year the voting, I think that it helped that it just happened for Cantlay. Wins help.

Some good discussion regarding POY and the playoffs.

Enjoyed the show today!!

Back