Callaway JAWS Full Toe Wedges

Yeah, I misread the stats.
I'll tell you that I've got some really good spin from the JFT - Bounces and turns left a smidge.
Fun to see happen.

I had a huge writeup on these but lost it due to some poor picture dragging. :banghead: Gonna boil it down a bit...

Spin. You need it? These wedges have it. This is a 54˚ from 97 yards into #1 today. A little downwind so I tried to take some off.
CED68427-FFD3-45AD-90D1-0C719F9F2A70_1_105_c.jpeg
Should be noted that that is a Diablo Tour SURLYN ball!! 👀

This one was on #3. 54˚ about 90 yards into the wind. I didn't take anything off this one but I didn't go after it either. Hit pin high and rolled back enough to catch the hill.
CBCB769C-190D-4EED-9D20-F4075173D49E_1_105_c.jpeg
Womp womp.

Even pitches from the rough, these are checking up more than my MD5s did. Definitely have to adjust for less rollout all around. Flight wise, these wedges want to elevate the ball in a hurry. Not a bad thing, but even with the heaviest setup I've played in a year or so, I need to hit the range and practice flighting them down a bit. This is an extremely minor nit to pick. I'd rather them be easy to hit high than the alternative.

Feature wise, I wanted to touch on the full grooves and the high toe. Do I absolutely need it? On my 60˚, hell yes. I miss towards the toe on shots where I open the face and I love the toe for hitting out of taller rough where the ball is sitting up a bit. On my 54˚, you could argue that I don't really need either of those things... Here's the great part though: with the offset and leading edge this 54˚ plays extremely similar to my MD5 54˚ so why the heck not? One day I might actually want to diversify my wedge game and start using the 60˚ for just specialty shots. The 54˚ certainly elevates the ball well enough for that to be an option.

Wear has been discussed. Not a ton of use on these yet, but wanted to share. This is 36 holes with some light range time and one sand trap on the 60˚.
4AD7FEA2-3ECD-48A6-A796-15DE65C70094_1_105_c.jpeg
2F858014-D205-4C7F-A6C2-A4E593D275D4_1_105_c.jpeg
(probably should've wiped those down better before)

At this point, my only major issue with these is the stock grips. The Lamkin UTx they're offering without the cord just doesn't work for me if there's any moisture on them. I haven't had any slipping, but it feels like they could if that makes sense. Easy enough fix though.

Overall I've had very little issue adjusting to these and expect them to be my gamers for the 2022 season. Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Some data sets for you guys on the half swing from a warmup session before 18. You'll notice that the CHS is a smidge faster with my 60* KSig wedge ("Lob Wedge") likely because I'm accustomed to it. TBH, I didn't do much to alter the data here except to remove the two top outlier and the two bottom outliers to normalize.

Things to note:
- 4mph avg accounts cleanly for the difference in distance.
- Take a look at the dispersion in green. Wow.
- Take a look at the Spin RPMs difference-- and that's with 2* less loft. Wow.
- Massive difference in height with similar/same stopping power----1.7y roll on JFT 2.4y on KSig (not displayed)

Nice dispersion there. Throwing darts at the 50 yard target.

I had a huge writeup on these but lost it due to some poor picture dragging. :banghead: Gonna boil it down a bit...

Spin. You need it? These wedges have it. This is a 54˚ from 97 yards into #1 today. A little downwind so I tried to take some off.
View attachment 9027818

This one was on #3. 54˚ about 90 yards into the wind. I didn't take anything off this one but I didn't go after it either. Hit pin high and rolled back enough to catch the hill.
View attachment 9027819
Womp womp.

Even pitches from the rough, these are checking up more than my MD5s did. Definitely have to adjust for less rollout all around. Flight wise, these wedges want to elevate the ball in a hurry. Not a bad thing, but even with the heaviest setup I've played in a year or so, I need to hit the range and practice flighting them down a bit. This is an extremely minor nit to pick. I'd rather them be easy to hit high than the alternative.

Feature wise, I wanted to touch on the full grooves and the high toe. Do I absolutely need it? On my 60˚, hell yes. I miss towards the toe on shots where I open the face and I love the toe for hitting out of taller rough where the ball is sitting up a bit. On my 54˚, you could argue that I don't really need either of those things... Here's the great part though: with the offset and leading edge this 54˚ plays extremely similar to my MD5 54˚ so why the heck not? One day I might actually want to diversify my wedge game and start using the 60˚ for just specialty shots. The 54˚ certainly elevates the ball well enough for that to be an option.

Wear has been discussed. Not a ton of use on these yet, but wanted to share. This is 36 holes with some light range time and one sand trap on the 60˚.
View attachment 9027821
View attachment 9027822

At this point, my only major issue with these is the stock grips. The Lamkin UTx they're offering without the cord just doesn't work for me if there's any moisture on them. I haven't had any slipping, but it feels like they could if that makes sense. Easy enough fix though.

Overall I've had very little issue adjusting to these and expect them to be my gamers for the 2022 season. Let me know if anyone has any questions!
Great Write up @JonD !
My black 58* is showing the same wear as yours however it's better that I thought it would be at this point
I'm finding that as I use this wedge, that the ball just jumps off the face.
And the BTW - the grind is so versatile that I haven't really seen an instance where it has failed to perform.

View attachment 9027818

View attachment 9027819
Womp womp.

View attachment 9027821
View attachment 9027822

Great writeup and that wear isn't as bad as I would expect! These are definitely in my future when my md5 and pm grind wear out!

View attachment 9027818

View attachment 9027819
Womp womp.

View attachment 9027821
View attachment 9027822

(y)(y)

^^This^^ rings super true. If It's there and doesn't impact performance otherwise, why not? You're never going to complain about the extra 50hp on your car. Oh NOOOOOO it's too fast!!!:thankyou:

Ordered my 54 on the 12th from Callaway. It’s status is set to ship anytime today through Tuesday. If that holds up, then not a bad wait at all.

I have been back out to test a couple more times. I still can't make a full swing, but have a decent amount of time around the green and with pitch shots out to about 50 yards. I have the 54* wedge, which is my go to around a green unless I need a specialty shot.

Greenside Versatility:
Since this is my go to wedge in 90+% of my greenside shots, the full face grooves are amazing as I like to open the wedge up at times if I need a softer landing shot. This wedge and the C-grind are amazing around the green and are very versatile. I was practicing a lot of short side shots from both tight lies as well as shaggy rough and it handles both great. I took my TM Hi Toe 54* out to compare and both have a similar grind, but for some reason the TMHT seems to dig more than the FT and I was not having anywhere near the success with that wedge. My TM is the 1st gen and I am not sure if they are using full face grooves on subsequent models, but the lack of full face grooves makes it less appealing to me as well. I will give the nod to the TM for feel, but they are both close enough in feel that it wouldn't come into play in my decision making.

Pitch shots:
I spent quite a bit of time working on shots between 25 to 50 yards. I am super pleased with how the wedge sits behind the ball. I can align myself to the target with it easily and it inspires confidence in me for this part of my game. I don't really pay attention to the grooves in this situation but more the leading edge and overall presentation of the flange behind the ball. I hit a few towards the toe and saw great distance control despite wondering from the sweet spot. The trajectory for me is low to mid, which is what I want to see in my approach shots if they bring the spin - and this wedge definitely shines in that regard.

Other:
I have not tried it in a bunker yet and I am mediocre bunker player, so my comments in that regard would be more about the type of day I was having than how the wedge performs anyway.

My only complaint is the grip. The UTX has no cord in it and is a little smaller than most standard grips I am used to. I usually pay either GP MCC Aligns or Z-Cord Aligns, so this grip is quite different feel.

Would I put this in play? Well, my go to wedges have been the Hogan Equalizers, which I like slightly better for bounce/grind and feel, but this wedge has been performing better for me in dispersion and I really like the full face grooves greenside, so yes, I think this could be my gamer for sure. I would need to flatten the lie and change the grip, but then I think it could be exactly what I am looking for in my game.

As my back heals and I can actually get on the course, I will have more thoughts.

Initail thoughts are maybe the best thoughts. More like a regular wedge, but with the extra skills from the PMG. It's going take some time to pick out the nuisances of the JFT, but there is one surprising thing that no one yet has touched upon.

This wedge weights 19g less than my PMG. 10g or so in the shaft, but the UTX grip is actually heavier than the MCC by 5.5g, making the head weight ~14.5g lighter. Originally I chalked it up the UTX grip, but it does feel much lighter in hand. I always found the KBS Tour V 125 overkill, so the Spinner 115g should be perfect for me, a Modus 3 Tour 105 player. Maybe none of this crew is playing 125-130g iron shafts or you went with a custom shaft?

Initail thoughts are maybe the best thoughts. More like a regular wedge, but with the extra skills from the PMG. It's going take some time to pick out the nuisances of the JFT, but there is one surprising thing that no one yet has touched upon.

This wedge weights 19g less than my PMG. 10g or so in the shaft, but the UTX grip is actually heavier than the MCC by 5.5g, making the head weight ~14.5g lighter. Originally I chalked it up the UTX grip, but it does feel much lighter in hand. I always found the KBS Tour V 125 overkill, so the Spinner 115g should be perfect for me, a Modus 3 Tour 105 player. Maybe none of this crew is playing 125-130g iron shafts or you went with a custom shaft?

I ordered mine with the Tour V, but mainly because I was fitted to them and my irons have Modus 120s in them, so wanted my wedges to be a touch heftier. Haven't put them on the swingweight scale yet, but they're still head heavy enough I haven't had any issues. I normally slap some lead tape on my wedges but haven't had the need to do so with these yet.

Also, glad I'm not crazy for disliking the grips as well @H8tobogie!!

I ordered mine with the Tour V, but mainly because I was fitted to them and my irons have Modus 120s in them, so wanted my wedges to be a touch heftier. Haven't put them on the swingweight scale yet, but they're still head heavy enough I haven't had any issues. I normally slap some lead tape on my wedges but haven't had the need to do so with these yet.

Also, glad I'm not crazy for disliking the grips as well @H8tobogie!!
I don't have a swingweight scale and have no idea how mine is in that regard, but the weighting hasn't been an issue so far.

I don't have a swingweight scale and have no idea how mine is in that regard, but the weighting hasn't been an issue so far.
You actually don't need one. There are sw calculators online and one particularly good spreadsheet that does it automatically when you input balance point and total weight of the club. All you need is a round fat pen, accurate gram scale, a sharpie for convenience, and a tape measure. Balance the club on the round fat pen. Mark the contact point with a dot. Measure from the grip and voila, approximate swingweight.

Trying to think of something to write about these wedges that I haven't already. They're fantastic. Go try them. I really do think even some of the more traditionalist golfers out there would be ok with how these frame the ball, giving them a touch of help with the full grooves & high toe.

I did to confirm that these are great out of the sand. Put a whopping four balls worth of sand practice in to get a feel for my LW prior to my round this weekend. All four plopped out on the shaggy chipping green just fine. Only found one trap on the course. My favorite on the short par 3 14th, where I always seem to hit a pull into one of the traps. Anyways, fairly flat with a pretty good lie. Came out high and spinny, bouncing once and spinning off to the right a bit before settling. Misjudged the distance a bit, but I'm not a professional. Very satisfied with the result.

You actually don't need one. There are sw calculators online and one particularly good spreadsheet that does it automatically when you input balance point and total weight of the club. All you need is a round fat pen, accurate gram scale, a sharpie for convenience, and a tape measure. Balance the club on the round fat pen. Mark the contact point with a dot. Measure from the grip and voila, approximate swingweight.
I do the same thing to figure SW. It's pretty accurate.

I do want to say that getting out of Bunker is Easy Pease with this wedge - Won't say it's automatic however it's really good.
And I can't believe how much I overshoot a flag with chips. There is going to be a period of adjustment with this club.
Less swing and more feet together to keep below the flag.

I do the same thing to figure SW. It's pretty accurate.

I do want to say that getting out of Bunker is Easy Pease with this wedge - Won't say it's automatic however it's really good.
And I can't believe how much I overshoot a flag with chips. There is going to be a period of adjustment with this club.
Less swing and more feet together to keep below the flag.

You coming off of the Vokeys? I've seen pretty similar distance performance to my MD5s, but I have gotten through a few rough shots that I've overshot a bit.

You coming off of the Vokeys? I've seen pretty similar distance performance to my MD5s, but I have gotten through a few rough shots that I've overshot a bit.
Actually coming of MD CB's.
I have the Catalyst shaft in the JFT where thie CB's had 105 Hi Rev so that might be part of it.

We. Have. RUST.

:love:

We. Have. RUST.

:love:

Will be interested to see how that evolves. I haven't seen any one mine yet, but I also haven't started encouraging it yet either.

Will be interested to see how that evolves. I haven't seen any one mine yet, but I also haven't started encouraging it yet either.
The downpour this past weekend with the THP Staff seems to have accelerated it when we threw everything into vehicles on the fly and I left my bag there like that. :LOL:

No rust here other than the initial spots on the grind of the club even though I've played in some very wet conditions. Finish is holding up nicely overall and those small spots disappeared after a few strokes.

Having said that, I'm still a little afraid to clean the wedge with a steel brush:LOL:

No rust here other than the initial spots on the grind of the club even though I've played in some very wet conditions. Finish is holding up nicely overall and those small spots disappeared after a few strokes.

Having said that, I'm still a little afraid to clean the wedge with a steel brush:LOL:

I have a brass brush that I've used on them a few times with no issues, but I generally steer clear of steel brushes if I can.

I have a brass brush that I've used on them a few times with no issues, but I generally steer clear of steel brushes if I can.

I have brass brushes too that I'll use on newer club. I'm not worried about damaging the face as much as I am scrubbing off the finish. Until it's ugly on its own, I'm not helping it along.

Went to town on a really badly caked black Vokey the other day (owner asked me to) and the finish didn't fare so well. I have to give my Wilson irons credit, the chrome finish has held up incredibly well except in a few instances where I hit a sandy ball with a full shot.

Great looking club, but not enough in low bounce options on all lofts.
My take, anyway, but everybody isn't a low bounce guy..

Looks like my 54 is coming tomorrow. Hope to get it out to the short game practice area and course this weekend.

Really liking these wedges! I can (and do) hit them all over the face, and still getting good results.
Toe-down chipping with these has been excellent

Back