Cleveland Launcher XL Halo FW Woods and Hybrid Preview

Yeah that's the one...stealing my thunder.
I hit one yesterday that was 221…total. Thought I was cooking with gas until I see that.

I’ve had the 3 and 5 in my bag for a couple weeks now. Stock Cypher Shaft Regular Flex. I really like them. They fly high and straight. I’m not very long so I can’t post up crazy numbers but from an accuracy standpoint these clubs just want to go straight. They slide right through the rough too when needed. Plenty of forgiveness on these. I really like Project X Cypher shafts as well. Can really feel them kick through the ball I guess is the best way to describe it. These replaced my Cobra F9 3 and 5. Distance is right there or longer compared to those F9s and I have yet to fan one of these out to the right. They will be staying in my bag and I will most likely be picking up the 7 wood as well soon. Well done Cleveland!

I can’t get the Hy-Wood out of my mind.

For a fairway wood replacement in like a 5w or 7w, this thing is absurd. It’s giggily long and launched very nicely. It will be in my bag tomorrow weather permitting

324DA70C-A7E6-4874-B8AA-4FFA11E4F486.jpeg

Just want to show this again.:LOL:

Tour Edge was ahead of the curve on the Hy-Wood...Circa 2008

I still have my 18* Bazooka Houdini 5 Wood @ 41.5 inches

Marketed something along the lines of "Fairway Distance at hybrid length". 1" shorter than traditional FW, 1" longer than traditional hybrid.

They are still doing it with the E522 series Control Length Shafts.

Last edited:
Sincerely cannot get over how good the Hy-Wood was. It was just so stupid easy to hit and was putting out quite a bit of distance.

I think all of us who hit it were like oh.. hello there.

Hy-wood is silly fun to hit. I liked it better than the 4 hybrid I have.

Sincerely cannot get over how good the Hy-Wood was. It was just so stupid easy to hit and was putting out quite a bit of distance.

Any "left" bias?

Hy-wood is silly fun to hit. I liked it better than the 4 hybrid I have.

What’s the appeal of the hy-wood over a traditional fw? Wouldn’t the fw be more forgiving and easier to hit?

What’s the appeal of the hy-wood over a traditional fw? Wouldn’t the fw be more forgiving and easier to hit?
Not necessarily. Shorter shaft (model dependent), low CG and overall design that fits eyes over fw for a lot of golfers

Any "left" bias?

I feel that’s a bit more swing dependent than anything? I was hitting little cuts with it, I stood up out of it and hit a pretty mediocre hook with good ball speed, and then @ddec pissed me off and I caught one flush with a wee little draw on it.

Lower flight than what I would get with a fairway wood, but still some pretty acceptable height. It was certainly not lacking in distance based on what @Jman tossed up on a few swings

I put the 5w into play today with a regular flex stock shaft. I was very happy with what I saw. Ball flight and distance were good. Even if I hit it a little fat, the trajectory and distance were very good for me.

Any "left" bias?
No more than one would expect. That’s going to be a swing thing more than anything. That said, I was hitting hooks most of the weekend, with everything but this.

The Halo Hy-Wood was an absolute blast this past weekend with the entire staff in the THP Tech Studio. Just about every person in house plays a heavier shaft in this type of club and usually some sort of exotic. Yet in this instance, one after one hit it at stock and continued to rave about the performance.

We have a video coming up soon diving in a bit deeper on this specific club, but suffice it to say, it was surprising to those guys.

The Halo Hy-Wood was an absolute blast this past weekend with the entire staff in the THP Tech Studio. Just about every person in house plays a heavier shaft in this type of club and usually some sort of exotic. Yet in this instance, one after one hit it at stock and continued to rave about the performance.

We have a video coming up soon diving in a bit deeper on this specific club, but suffice it to say, it was surprising to those guys.
I’m 100% considering buying one for November and would totally go stock stiff. I threw EVERYTHING I had at it, and it was money.

When I wrote the preview, I was kind of just, eh it's a cool bridge fybrid idea. After hitting it, I want one. And anyone who is worried about some kind of bias in it, every single guy took swings with it. None of us swing it the same way, yet we all had some stellar results.

I am quite impressed with the ringing endorsement for the new Cleveland offerings and the stock Cypher shafts.

I am quite impressed with the ringing endorsement for the new Cleveland offerings and the stock Cypher shafts.
It was very cool to see. I was swinging HARD at it and it just smiled and took it.

This poll is in our Instagram stories today and figured it would be good here too.

DEF17A54-66C7-45EA-9661-30F31EB3F5D1.png

I took a pretty bad swing with it where I stood up out of it and it went left. Wasn’t a biggie, I knew pretty quickly what went wrong. Next swing got hit hard and it was pretty much a straight ball that fell a couple yards left.

It was silly easy to hit too for 18 degrees.

Back