1. Greatest game ever played
2. Happy Gilmore (seen it too many times however)
3. Caddy shack
4. Tin Cup

It's based on the book by Dan Jenkins. It's a book written in the mid 70s and there is no way it could made into a movie today.

I'm going to find it and watch it

Tin Cup is my favorite.

On a related note we used to go to a Cincinnati Reds game every summer when I was growing up. I would always get a program. One year they had some kind of question in there about favorite golf movie from all the guys on the team that played golf. One of them said "Favorite Golf Movie: Caddyshack" and also "Least Favorite Golf Movie: Caddyshack 2". I remember LOL'ing even in the early 90's.

Last edited:
Since I haven't seen the "serious" golf movies, I will have to say Tin Cup.

I'm not much on saying a movie (or any piece of art) is better than another. It's just so subjective and there are so many different criteria people can use to judge them on. I'm more of a "which one do you like better" guy. If I modify the question that way, it is undoubtedly Happy Gilmore. I've seen it a bunch of times, and wouldn't hesitate to watch it again.

I've seen Caddyshack and find it horribly overrated. Bagger Vance and Greatest Game apparently didn't make much of an impression on me since I saw them long ago, haven't watched them again, and barely remember anything about them. I've only seen Tin Cup once, but I've been meaning to watch it again since I actually play golf now.

I teally liked the comedy aspect of Tin Cup, and Caddyshack.

As for a pretty good, more serious golf movie, "A Gentleman's Game" is my favorite one to watch.

Great Game Ever Played ... is a great movie

Top 3 would be

Tin Cup
Legend of Bagger Vance
Caddyshack

I've never heard of some of these.
Need to step up my game

The Squeeze!

Greatest Game Ever Played. I also like the biographical movie about Seve. Legend of Bagger Vance would be my 3rd choice. Tin Cup is my top fictional movie.
I saw Dead Solid Perfect referenced a few times. I much preferred Jenkin's book to the attempt to make it a movie. Loved that book. It was the first fictional golf book I read when I was taking up the game way back in the 70s.

I think "Greatest Game Ever Played" for me, but I enjoyed this one far more more than I thought I would:

images

I can't believe no one has mentioned seven days in utopia :ROFLMAO:

Good book, but worst movie Robert Duvall ever appeared in for sure.

The Greatest Game Ever Played was so good. The bond between Francis and Eddie is something special.

Tin Cup for my entertainment. Greatest Game Ever Played is definitely one of my favorites though.

My favourite is Greatest Game Ever Played followed by the Legend of Bagger Vance and Tin Cup.

Tin Cup. Love all the others, but I'll always stop and watch TC.

I always enjoy Caddyshack, but I really liked the Legend of Bagger Vance. I am not big on Tin Cup personally.

If Tin Cup comes on, I pretty much drop everything and watch. I'm not as intense with Baggar Vance and Greatest Game Ever Played, but both of those get my full atention.

Less so with Happy Gilmore, however I've seen that movie about 1,000 times.
If I never saw Caddyshack again, I wouldn't be sad about it at all.

It's based on the book by Dan Jenkins. It's a book written in the mid 70s and there is no way it could made into a movie today.

To be fair the book never really was turned into a movie.

That movie would be my pick as well, but outside of the title and that it is about golf there aren't a whole lot of similarities. The main character doesn't even have the same name.

I don't think there would be that much trouble turning the actual book into one of those streaming mini-series if someone really wanted to. There isn't that much that would need cut. The whole weird attempted rape scene that sort of comes out of nowhere would be a bit much. And some racial slurs....

xxxxxxxxxx

As to anyone that wants to find a copy, well.... It was an HBO movie from the late 80s and it never officially made it to DVD as I recall. There are or were some chopped up crappy versions on youtube and probably some pirate DVDs or used vhs out there somewhere.

Maybe it could wind up in HBOs back catalogue or something.

Last edited:
Here's a question:

Is Peter Jacobsen the winningest real world golfer in fictional movie tournaments?

He wins a fictional US open in Tin Cup, and wins a fictional Colonial in Dead Solid Perfect. I can't think of any other golfer with a win in a fictional tournament off the top of my head, much less two.

Caddieshack. #2 is Happy Gilmore which my son is asking to watch. Lol

Back