Ballnamic: PING Ball Fitting?

This. Wtf does that mean and maybe I’m just naive, but is that something golf ball OEMs can actually market/try to make more consistent?
My assumption is pretty deep, but to keep it simple, how it reacts when outside elements will appear, meaning water, rough, etc. This could be something that would change spin and drag dynamics.

According to what I saw going through it, it’s based on how the ball reacts when wet.
My assumption is pretty deep, but to keep it simple, how it reacts when outside elements will appear, meaning water, rough, etc. This could be something that would change spin and drag dynamics.

gotcha…. Interesting need to get dechambeau’s spray guy in here…..

jokes aside, that’s an interesting part of their analysis and wonder how much they studied each and every ball’s characteristics concerning all that

I’d be happy to pay $39 for a ball fitting, but I’m not sure how accurate an online fitting would be, so I would probably, in fact I won’t, be paying $39 for Ping’s service.
That all being said, I’m really happy with the ball I’m playing right now. It seems to tick every box, so maybe I wouldn’t pay for any ball fitting, online or in person.

I would think if you knew enough about your game and your club data, then you know which balls are going to work for your game. If you don't know these things, then entering broad data into a database is not going to give you accurate feedback anyway. I don't see how this idea got off the drawing board TBH. 🤷‍♂️

An online ball fitting for $39 sounds like a pitch that shouldn’t make it off someone’s desk, let alone implemented and launched. I can’t imagine this being something a typical amateur needs and anyone who might should do it in person.

Am I the only one that wants it to be in person and actually hitting balls when spending $39?
Even being in person paying $39 to find out what ball you should be playing is ridiculous in my opinion.

Last time I went to the PING golf factory (I think that is what it is called) and got fit it was free. I would add on to that get fit for a golf ball. I have not been to the PING factory in a few years so not sure if they still do the fittings there due to COVID or if they have changed the factory fittings. I loved it because there was no pressure to buy as they were not going to sell out of the factory. You had to go to an authorized dealer to put the order in.

Weird I thought all Ping guys played Titleist. Volvik don't work very well ask Bubba :ROFLMAO:

Looking at the chart above if that was done in person and someone handed me that list of parameters I would be thrilled. I’d love to see a “ball” someday that is in theory a version of Mizuno’s swing dna shaft. That would be a incredibly useful item but the cost vs revenue might not be capable to do such a service where you would create ball parameters for each new design.

Looking at the chart above if that was done in person and someone handed me that list of parameters I would be thrilled. I’d love to see a “ball” someday that is in theory a version of Mizuno’s swing dna shaft. That would be a incredibly useful item but the cost vs revenue might not be capable to do such a service where you would create ball parameters for each new design.
And honestly I believe that is the plan. I still have “in my head” questions regarding stepping over dollars fo pick up pennies, but more information is not a bad thing.

Ping made this official today.

Am I the only one seeing a massive problem with asking a person a bunch of questions about their game that have been pretty well proven to be perceived wrong by a lot of people about themselves, and then deciding what's best for them based on that? A huge number of people don't actually know if they're high or low flight, launch, and spin, or even how far they actually hit something. What people think and what is, is often different.

Now if it was an add-on to a fitting like JB is thinking it might be that would be different. I wouldn't want many to pay for it like this though.

Last edited:
I am a huge PING homer, but this is ridiculous. I totally understand that the ball is the one piece of equipment that is played with every shot. I get that the ball is a huge determinant on how we play. But, for those that are new to golf, they are likely going to buy inexpensive balls. Those that have played for some time (and whose skills have progressed) are probably going to know what fits them or, at the very least, what their preference is. Those that fall within the in-between stages are likely not served by $50 tour balls until the develop their skills. I have been wrong before, but to spend $40 bucks on something that tells you what you likely already know...is a bit goofy. Just my .02.

Has anyone tried this yet?

This just instinctively doesn’t appeal to me.

They can collect the results for a while then launch their own balls based on what the majority of players are directed to. And the consumer can pay for their research. Smart.

After I'd been playing a year, I bought my first serious dozen balls from Dick's. K.C. (pro) handed me a box of Callaway Hex Chromes. From there the pro I took lessons from fitted me in Callaway SR1s. Then Callaway came out with the Chrome Softs. Then I switched to Srixon Z-Stars because I got a great deal on them. Then to Q-Star Tour because I couldn't get that deal anymore. But instead of paying $39, I thought I'd go around and see what other golf ball manufacturers would fit me:

So I went to the Bridgestone site for their online ball "fitting" where you enter some data and they suggest one of their balls. Now here's something funny. I entered all my data. Bridgestone suggested their Tour B RXS. I held off on entering gender until last. Once I entered my gender - F, the recommendation changed to Tour B RX. Why? Apparently I need a firmer ball to get an extra yard. In either case, $47/doz.

Then I went to Titleist. Titleist suggested their Tour Speed ball which is their answer to the Q-Star Tour. 3-Piece, Urethane cover, but not as expensive as the Pro V1. Tour Speed $40/doz.

Taylormade made it simple. Do you want to "play like the pros" or "here for fun". Then they ask "More spin" or "Less spin". Since I'm not breaking 80 let alone 90 that puts me in the "fun" category. But I want spin because having a wedge shot from 90 yds. sit and even back up a little is cool and makes you look a little better than you really are. So they put me in their Tour Response ball - 3 piece, Urethane cover for $34/doz. comparable to what I'm playing.

I think pretty much all the balls in at the same level are going to be similar. You'll still have to buy a sleeve of each and try them on the course to see if you like the way they feel. You could get a recommendation from their algorithm and still hate it.

After I'd been playing a year, I bought my first serious dozen balls from Dick's. K.C. (pro) handed me a box of Callaway Hex Chromes. From there the pro I took lessons from fitted me in Callaway SR1s. Then Callaway came out with the Chrome Softs. Then I switched to Srixon Z-Stars because I got a great deal on them. Then to Q-Star Tour because I couldn't get that deal anymore. But instead of paying $39, I thought I'd go around and see what other golf ball manufacturers would fit me:

So I went to the Bridgestone site for their online ball "fitting" where you enter some data and they suggest one of their balls. Now here's something funny. I entered all my data. Bridgestone suggested their Tour B RXS. I held off on entering gender until last. Once I entered my gender - F, the recommendation changed to Tour B RX. Why? Apparently I need a firmer ball to get an extra yard. In either case, $47/doz.

Then I went to Titleist. Titleist suggested their Tour Speed ball which is their answer to the Q-Star Tour. 3-Piece, Urethane cover, but not as expensive as the Pro V1. Tour Speed $40/doz.

Taylormade made it simple. Do you want to "play like the pros" or "here for fun". Then they ask "More spin" or "Less spin". Since I'm not breaking 80 let alone 90 that puts me in the "fun" category. But I want spin because having a wedge shot from 90 yds. sit and even back up a little is cool and makes you look a little better than you really are. So they put me in their Tour Response ball - 3 piece, Urethane cover for $34/doz. comparable to what I'm playing.

I think pretty much all the balls in at the same level are going to be similar. You'll still have to buy a sleeve of each and try them on the course to see if you like the way they feel. You could get a recommendation from their algorithm and still hate it.
I just went through the online ball fittings for Callaway, Bridgestone, Titleist and TaylorMade. I did my best to make the parameters as similar as possible, since the different OEMs ask different questions. Callaway recommended the Chrome Soft Truvis, Bridgestone recommended the e12 Contact, Titleist called for the Tour Speed and TaylorMade said the TP5 Pix. So in order, they're a 4-piece urethane ball, a 3-piece ionomer ball, a 2-piece ionomer ball, and a 5-piece urethane ball.

Question #4 on the TaylorMade poll read like something out of an instruction manual from some cheap Chinese product you'd buy on Amazon: "Do you like the Style and Function of Technology?". :ROFLMAO: I simultaneously gave that a WTF and an LOL as I answered it.

Has this stalled out for ping, does anyone know? Reason I ask is because I asking the guys at my shop about ball fittings. They said the idea has been taking about but nothing really in the works for actually hitting balls. They mentioned Ballnamic and I completely forgot about it. I wonder how many people have really used it and how successful it has been for them?

I would much rather spend the $40 and actually hit balls with a Quad taking readings, then take the best two maybe three out to the course and try them there.

I actually went through the Ballnamic fitting process. $39? I've certainly wasted that amount of $$ on more stupid things. The process is interesting. I did 3 scenarios, tweaking areas that I didn't feel strongly about and keeping items that were definite. I've spent a fair amount of time on a launch monitor so that helps. I ended up having a couple balls consistently at the top of each scenario for me. The Maxfli Tour ended up at or near the top of each scenario for me (over a 93% match) and I've never hit one of them. I'll pick up a dozen and see what I think. My gamer came in at a 90% match though so I'm unlikely to see dramatic benefits no matter what.

Have any THPers encountered this out in the wild be it at a demo day or something else?

Never.. Maybe it feel off the ship with the driver heads last year or they raised the price mid season so no one wanted to do it.

Back