A Brand Story: Online Golf Sales and Budget Golf

Fantastic story what a turn of events for them. Budget golf is a great place to buy from.

Great story. BG is my first stop when looking for something I "need." Its customer service is the industry standard as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting read. Thanks. I will now check out Budget Golf myself.

I was always a "buy before you try fool" once the fair trade laws were abolished and you could buy top line gear at below MSRP from non-on course pro shops.
I'm sure we have many here who don't remember when you couldn't.

The manufacturers, who in those days were more full line sporting goods manufacturers than straight golf companies, had two completely different lines of products. Lower price stuff to be sold in sporting goods stores and department stores was available, but the real pro line equipment could only be bought at full price from on course golf pro shops.
Of course, in those days, "full price" was forty dollars a wood and twenty-five dollars an iron.

That didn't really change until the 1970s.

Before the internet and TGW, I used to phone order from Edwin Watts. TGW was much better because you could custom order specs and buy one club at a time instead of fixed sets. I suspect that Budget Golf might be less expensive for routine orders and I'll look into them.

Now, with electronics, we have the option of launch monitor custom fitting at off course locations
or my "buy before you try" method which is for we less-committed types.

Last edited:
Good story, good company, good people!

We need some sweep photos in here! Budget Golf is so awesome!

Great read and very interesting how they shifted with the changing market demands. No wonder they are thriving.

Great story and a fantastic read! Budget is always a stop of mine when looking for gear. Awesome that they are such a great partner for THP also!

The only mistake they made was that website page back in the day with the black blue and pink :ROFLMAO:

The world changed with the growth of the internet and e-commerce in general. That will be the most obvious thing you have read in years, maybe ever. But to understand the story of the world of online shopping for golf equipment, we must first go back to before it was in place and how it all got started, specifically for one of the largest online retailers in the space, Budget Golf.

Budget Golf didn’t become a success in e-commerce sales overnight. In fact, it didn’t even start as an online store. To understand the humble beginnings, we asked Steve Messineo, Founder and President to help us on this journey.

Continue reading...

These Behind the Brand articles are amazing!! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to write this up @JB!

I don’t always buy my golf things from budget, but I always look there first. They have been great to THP and are my preferred online retailer.

Very informative article about Budget Golf and the e-commerce golf business model.

These Behind the Brand articles are amazing!! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to write this up @JB!
Thank you. Much appreciated

Very good piece JB! I've always been a fan of budget and their journey is incredible. For the business to flip that quick from brick & mortar to e-commerce that quickly shows agility on their part.

I'm glad I read this because I had no idea the path they took to get where they are.

I wish I would have known about budget golf in the 1990s when buying clubs was a lot more difficult than it is today.

Enjoyable read. Interesting how an economic hit like 2008 was also an opportunity. I can't imagine the learning that had to happen moving from brick and mortar retail to e-commerce at that time. (y)

Nice read.
I had never heard of budget golf before I saw them on THP.
Always cool to hear about a success story

Love the Budget Golf guys! They are great. They also know how to take care of a guy who is severe dehydration mode. :eek:

Really cool story. Thanks for putting that on paper @JB

Reactions: JB
Very cool. Having less and less choices locally I’ve been using budget for my purchases. I’ve always liked to spend at local shops being a small business owner. Article reminded me that even a big business can be “local” too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very cool. Having less and less choices locally I’ve been using budget for my purchases. I’ve always liked to spend at local shops being a small business owner. Article reminded me that even a big business can be “local” too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think that was one of my favorite research parts honestly. Yes they do a lot for the people here (see budget experience), but they are a “small business owner” too and go about it in similar fashion.

Thanks to everybody that took the time to read this rather lengthy feature.

With weeks like this one, where they are treating two lucky THPers to something this special, it was awesome to learn more about the history and be able to share it.

This was a great read @JB, thanks. I've never used Budget given my location, but is such a great story and sounds like a phenomenal company to deal with. Particularly with the support and relationship with THP.

Great story. BG is my first stop when looking for something I "need." Its customer service is the industry standard as far as I'm concerned.

Budget's customer service is outstanding.

I just bought from them for the first time this summer. Great service.

This was a great read @JB, thanks. I've never used Budget given my location, but is such a great story and sounds like a phenomenal company to deal with. Particularly with the support and relationship with THP.
Thank you, and totally understandable.
They do care about this community and hearing the passion about the game and the golfers while researching this was a fun aspect to it.

Back