First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

It is always so hard to watch Xander and Rahm smoke TCB shots on Sunday night replays and not want to take them out the next day. Might wait until Wed. for the next T100 round..

Wanted to give another shout to the TCB's but not about on course stuff. So I don't know how many rounds I have on mine. Nearing 100? But I noticed something in deciding to order a fresh set. These bad boys don't look near as old as they are. They're proving to be pretty darn durable.

View attachment 9025729View attachment 9025730

Chose the 2 most worn to show. The wedge has seen some work, and actually some range, and done it all well. Finally starting to show a bit. But look at the sole! I have set wedges I've played less than 10 rounds whose sole looks worse. Neither I nor the turfs here baby them.

And then I chose the next most worn club, the 7. Literally the one that shows the most wear after the wedge. I mean .. I feel like that's impressive. I can't even make out a wear spot in any light. It looks like a shop club.

Gets an A in my book. 👍
I knew I should have ordered TCB's. My pro 19 double dots ( TCB older brother) are more beat up with maybe 1/8th of the rounds on them. They are super soft and ding VERY easy.

I knew I should have ordered TCB's. My pro 19 double dots ( TCB older brother) are more beat up with maybe 1/8th of the rounds on them. They are super soft and ding VERY easy.
It's tough with a desire for soft and also durability. My ZX7's feel great, but I think 4 of them have serious scars/chunks out of them, and all have more dings, with nowhere near the same rounds.

I've been impressed with the durability of the TCB for how they feel, and it continues to surprise me. Had to play a 6i punch off a horribly rocky lie Saturday. The kind where you just make your peace with the damage before you even swing, and it barely showed. Thin scratch on the sole.

Can still order TCB's, but they're a few months out. This would be the time of year to pick up a set on the secondary though too. Might find a reasonable deal.

The Pros are so fricking good. Still love the feel of these and the looks, but the downside on the looks is that after 6 months, the finish looks worse than my Apex 19s that have 2 seasons on them. Frequency of play is about the same too. A little bummed about it, but it is what it is. It doesn't affect playability of them or my love for them.

1 round and a small range session and so far so good. What I have noticed is the more hollow/quieter sound on well struck shots as opposed to the Smack from the 19s. I personally liked the Smack but no problem.

Distances pretty comparative to the 19s, haven’t noticed anything drastic but it’s early. Hoping the wear issue isn’t as bad as some say because others have mentioned no problem with the face of their irons.

20210929_104100.jpg

Little Apex appreciation in me today. I played this setup on Sunday in a tournament, and had kind of forgot how much like it. I could honestly play this combo indefinitely and have near zero complaints. So much good Apex stuff.

Gonna take them dancing in the rain this afternoon. :D

Ended up playing at a course Saturday that took me past Edwin Watts on the way home. 9 iron was two degrees weak. Bent to stock loft.

I'm doing this for all my clubs next time I make it by PGA SS just for the peace of mind. Haven't had any major issues, but I also didn't get this set checked before putting them in play. The 19s I had them checked before I took them home.

View attachment 9030877

Little Apex appreciation in me today. I played this setup on Sunday in a tournament, and had kind of forgot how much like it. I could honestly play this combo indefinitely and have near zero complaints. So much good Apex stuff.

Gonna take them dancing in the rain this afternoon. :D
🐤 ❎ 8 with that setup today. Like I said, I'd have very few complaints. So good. Help to extreme control all in one series.

🐤 ❎ 8 with that setup today. Like I said, I'd have very few complaints. So good. Help to extreme control all in one series.
Did you have a Callaway driver under that driver headcover?

Did you have a Callaway driver under that driver headcover?
Yes, but I ended up ditching the UT and bringing the TSi3 too. Played the Speed the first few and when I was loose switched to it.

Yes, but I ended up ditching the UT and bringing the TSi3 too. Played the Speed the first few and when I was loose switched to it.
Sorry, I don’t want to hijack this thread, but one more question. Which driver now gives you better ball speed, the Speed or the TiS3?

Sorry, I don’t want to hijack this thread, but one more question. Which driver now gives you better ball speed, the Speed or the TiS3?
Nothing's beat my TSi3 setup on course or monitor. It's faster in the end for me, because it manages my miss better. They're both great, it's just a better fit in multiple small ways.

Had a great day of ball striking yesterday. I did not have the dreaded hooks which have plagued me lately. I was able to pull off some shots when out of position and keep the big numbers off the scorecard. I will say, the Apex 21 irons feel so darn good when you catch them out of the middle.

After playing the mixed combos for a good part of the season I went and had the lofts & lies checked. Lofts were all still relatively close. So were the lie angles save the 8I that was almost 2˚ upright.

I want to hear more about this.
Oh it's nothing on my end personally haha, I just thought about them this morning as I was reading through some Grandaddy commentary, thinking they'd probably be what I would pick if I was heading to Cali in December (products we are not aware about not considered).

I want to hear more experiences from people with them.

Oh it's nothing on my end personally haha, I just thought about them this morning as I was reading through some Grandaddy commentary, thinking they'd probably be what I would pick if I was heading to Cali in December (products we are not aware about not considered).

I was planning to do the split set but the standards were just too good so I set my ego aside and have not regretted passing on these. In testing, the good shots with these felt very good and the flight was amazing but the standards did much better with my miss (low & toe side)

I was planning to do the split set but the standards were just too good so I set my ego aside and have not regretted passing on these. In testing, the good shots with these felt very good and the flight was amazing but the standards did much better with my miss (low & toe side)
Yes, they are pretty killer as well. Did you go DCB at all?

Even over the XForged you picked earlier this year?

While I loved the previous version of those the Apex pro are so much better, especially in the long irons. At least for someone looking for some help.

Even over the XForged you picked earlier this year?

While I loved the previous version of those the Apex pro are so much better, especially in the long irons. At least for someone looking for some help.
Oh man, I love those irons. They are back at the THP Club Lab resting, waiting lmao

There's something about forgiveness though.. I'll probably always chase it.

Yes, they are pretty killer as well. Did you go DCB at all?
I tried them but my miss is a hook and I was fore left with the DCBs when I let my hands go early. They sit really closed for me and I didn't have an option to set them up a little flat with more loft. I may build one like that as a driving iron to experiment with.

Pros are 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 Best feeling iron and best turf interaction I've had. Toe side misses still get where they are supposed to go and the overall forgiveness is fantastic. I know there has also been some feedback on the durability of the finish but I've put these through hell on a range that has a sandy base and these still look great to me. Obviously not brand new but nothing that would ever turn me off of them.

I'd be totally happy gaming these for the next few seasons!

Seeing a 5 iron fly 190 yards to an uphill green and stop within 18 inches on a dry day in Utah is just absurd to me.

Back