Cleveland Launcher XL Drivers Preview

Saw this driver today! It looks absolutely massive! I am surprised it’s only 460cc. Looks bigger than my Big Bertha B21! Felt extremely light. Also, looked very long! I would want the accuracy build definitely! The million dollar question is…is it worth $400? That has been Cobra and Mizuno’s wheelhouse the last few years! And, now, Tour Edge is coming in at $4-bills! I’m curious how this driver does in sales.

Saw this driver today! It looks absolutely massive! I am surprised it’s only 460cc. Looks bigger than my Big Bertha B21! Felt extremely light. Also, looked very long! I would want the accuracy build definitely! The million dollar question is…is it worth $400? That has been Cobra and Mizuno’s wheelhouse the last few years! And, now, Tour Edge is coming in at $4-bills! I’m curious how this driver does in sales.
Here is the Lite version next to B21.

FB923FFF-A7D5-41B9-B582-0756584EFEE8.jpeg

Picked up one of these from Budget Golf. I had to cut it down 1/2 inch but was able to salvage the counter weight and regripped it. I played yesterday and I am very happy with what I saw on course. The Cypher shaft clicks for me in this and the hybrids.

@JB do you know if the Srixon adapters fit this head?

Thats a good question. When I get home I can check.

Awesome. I think this head is really good. Might be fun to go internet golfer on it.

Awesome. I think this head is really good. Might be fun to go internet golfer on it.
I haven't spent enough time with it, but the Hy-Wood was a flat out performer today.

I haven't spent enough time with it, but the Hy-Wood was a flat out performer today.

Well we all know that club is magical

First round with the XL Driver yesterday. I got the 44.5" version and LOVE it. Only played 9 holes so hit it 7 times. The impact sound is very good, not tingey at all. Nice solid whack impact sound. I didn't notice any difference length wise but will have a better idea after next weeks round. The Cypher shaft is very nice.

This is a great driver. It is the first Cleveland driver that I’ve owned and I am having success with it. It is a little aggressive on the sound side (Reminds me of my XXIO X) but not terrible. Very forgiving and plenty of distance.

Last edited:
This is a great driver. It is my first Cleveland driver that I’ve owned and I am having success with it. It is a little aggressive on the sound side (Reminds me of my XXIO X) but not terrible. Very forgiving and plenty of distance.

I don't know if you remember the previous version. But this one, is much more on the tame side vs that one. The Turbo was like that loudmouth at the movie theater or party that nobody wants to be around.

Outside of that, it's definitely a nice and forgiving driver with plenty of pop to it. Cool to see you are having some success with it.

The entire XL line, from drivers down through fairways and irons, just seems to flat out perform. Looks like Cleveland has a real winner here.

The entire XL line, from drivers down through fairways and irons, just seems to flat out perform. Looks like Cleveland has a real winner here.

I think some will be shocked by how good the irons are.

I don't want to derail from the driver thread, but that's what has my attention most of all. Fingers crossed for a Christmas bonus at the office...

I don't want to derail from the driver thread, but that's what has my attention most of all. Fingers crossed for a Christmas bonus at the office...
anigif_enhanced-2442-1449703107-2.gif

After hitting the Hy-Wood, this Driver has my attention.
I need a new driver like a hole in the head especially with the season ending in 3 weeks however I think I will hit this.

Definitely considering moving my Sim2 Max D and going back to Cleveland. I just really get along with this brand.

I need a new driver like a hole in the head especially with the season ending in 3 weeks however I think I will hit this.
I demo'd the XL lite driver on a demo day and these felt great. Too many choices these days!

My home range is having a demo day on 10/30. I'm definitely planning on trying the driver.

The funny thing is they were out a few weeks ago and I tried the 5W...but had no clue about the Hy-Wood. The rep didn't even mention it. I bought it later and loved it. My bag is getting more and more Cleveland gear in the bag. 3 wedges, a putter, a hy-wood. The PING driver and hybrid are getting nervous.

Had Lite Version in the cart and had to let it go - Just too close to the end of the season to spend the money and let it sit for 6 months.

So I went to PGATSS yesterday and hit both versions: the XL and the Lite.
Wow that 46" driver length is something to get use to in the Lite version.
Hit both in Regular Flex. Went back and forth on both versions and the Standard stood out as being the better fit.
Actually did better with it set at 10.5 FL - I think playing around with the setting could get me really dialed in.
Was able to get one up to 128 Ball Speed which is pretty good for me at a PGATSS using their Range balls.
I could see myself gaming it and being consistent on the course.
Overall I liked the driver and if it was April, might have walked out with it however with the my season ending soon, I just couldn't justify it.
I saved a search on eBay to see if I can pick one used or someone clearing them out.
Might be a Black Friday purchase.

Hit both in Regular Flex. Went back and forth on both versions and the Standard stood out as being the better fit.
Actually did better with it set at 10.5 FL - I think playing around with the setting could get me really dialed in.
Was able to get one up to 128 Ball Speed which is pretty good for me at a PGATSS using their Range balls.
Overall I liked the driver and if it was April, might have walked out with it however with the my season ending soon, I just couldn't justify it.
I saved a search on eBay to see if I can pick one used or someone clearing them out.

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback. I hope some people give these drivers a look. Were I not extremely happy with the B21, I would consider these offerings from Cleveland.

The weight, or lack thereof, is the main thing that has me kind of avoiding trying these out. I have a D7 driver right now that I was completely ready to give up on until I loaded it with lead tape. I'm not a fast swinger by any means, but lightweight drivers and I don't get along. I tend to spray them everywhere because I just can't feel anything in the swing.

I picked up an XL about 3 weeks ago. Cleveland Launcher XL Driver Project X 5.5 Cypher 50 R-Flex. Made an offer on a mint one on eBay and got it for a steal really. So I put my Radspeed XB on the shelf for the last 5 rounds and played the XL. Driver is not the strength of my game. But not my weakness either. My Driver swing speed is about 85-90 mph. Certainly not a bomber. But I’m accurate so I hit A LOT of FWs. So I won’t try to pump out a pile of numbers. This is my on course feedback:

Feel- Feels great. I have the 3,5,7 FW Woods and I love them which is what made me purchase this Driver. I have no issue feeling where the head is in my backswing and getting it through the ball solidly.

Control/Distance- Easy to control the face. I hit this club in the dead center more than my Radspeed XB or my G400Max. I adjusted it to 11 degrees and the ball flight is perfect. High enough to get some carry. Low enough to get some roll. Distance is not quite as far as the Radspeed XB when hit dead center but on average it’s longer because of the overall better contact.

Shaft- I have the same Project X Cypher Shaft as my FWWs. Again I like the controlled kick I get.

Sound- This Driver is loud. It has a nice “crack” to it. Which I like. Never been a fan of a muted Driver sound. When I hit it on the button I can hear it and feel it.

Overall- I will be playing this Driver all winter. The more comfortable I get with it the better I seem to hit it. That’s just from the confidence I’m getting. I like the looks, feel, accuracy and distance. The Cobra is staying on the shelf for now. For a shorter but accurate hitter like me it’s perfect and getting better each round.

Back