Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Little bit of an off day with only 11 FIR today. The ones I hit where just nice little draws that got some roll out. Even into the 15mph winds today the speed did the job. Riptide is still working well for me.

all it took was me selling the MAX LS to have my first bad round with the 💎💎💎. Friggin golf. :cautious:

So I took my Max LS for my buddy to hit as he is looking for a new driver and he was striping it. His miss is a left snap hook and he was hitting nice little fades and he went back to his driver (older Titleist, not sure how old, but at least 5-6 years) because he didn't like that he was hitting nice little fades at like 270. He then proceeded to snap hook every drive with his driver and go less that 140 yards with it. I was like why are you going back you are killing the Max LS. He said, I just don't like the flight path. I said, you are nuts! You would rather hit a snap hook and lose your ball then hit fairways and first cut of rough? He was like, yeah you're right. How much you want. I said, oh I'm not selling and even if I did, you wouldn't pay what I want for it, lol. He said how much and I told him and I thought he was going to have a heart attack. I said I paid more than that for it, a descent amount more. I said nice things aren't cheap. He said, I've never paid over $150 for a driver. I said, you're high if you thought I was going to sell this to you for that, lol. He laughed and said, yeah you right. lol.

So I took my Max LS for my buddy to hit as he is looking for a new driver and he was striping it. His miss is a left snap hook and he was hitting nice little fades and he went back to his driver (older Titleist, not sure how old, but at least 5-6 years) because he didn't like that he was hitting nice little fades at like 270. He then proceeded to snap hook every drive with his driver and go less that 140 yards with it. I was like why are you going back you are killing the Max LS. He said, I just don't like the flight path. I said, you are nuts! You would rather hit a snap hook and lose your ball then hit fairways and first cut of rough? He was like, yeah you're right. How much you want. I said, oh I'm not selling and even if I did, you wouldn't pay what I want for it, lol. He said how much and I told him and I thought he was going to have a heart attack. I said I paid more than that for it, a descent amount more. I said nice things aren't cheap. He said, I've never paid over $150 for a driver. I said, you're high if you thought I was going to sell this to you for that, lol. He laughed and said, yeah you right. lol.

Good share. Tell your friends a lot of pros are saying that their stock shot with today's drivers is a power cut. See John Rahm.

I'm about done with my Max LS experiment. I haven' seen a ton of advantage to using it over my Mavrik. Distance and dispersion are about the same, but I still prefer the sound/feel of the Mav. I think the Mav just fits me a bit better. I was hoping for some forgiveness, but it appears my swing is either good or bad and not much in between.

I will say that the blacked out version does look super sharp. I also think the MMT 60 is a solid shaft.

Took the Max LS out yesterday for the first time in a while. Hit a couple pretty good ones and then put it away, and giving it back to the guy I sold it to.

It's always interesting to see how personal preferences and bias play a role in how people react to things. So I'll say this. I like Callaway drivers. They've served me very well. I've also maintained from my very first time out with it when it was released that the Max LS is SERIOUSLY loud, and not in a good way, to me. It surprised me and I think the exact quote in Live Round was "Holy hell!"

Had a couple guys with me yesterday, one I'd never played with. After crushing one and announcing that I still think it sound like hell, new guy said "It is REALLY Ping-y". And I'm laughing. A hole later after my buddy hits 'IS that a Ping (driver)?' (It is) 'I actually like that better'.

And yet people come down on the G425's so hard for the sound, and not a lot of hate for these. To be clear, I don't enjoy either, but if you like the look and performance that can be enough, and what really matters right?

Still have a Speed head, but no regrets about moving on from the Max LS for me.

Got out for a dew sweeping round and both friends had Epic Max drivers in play to go along with my Epic Speed. I love how they've got a good option for any golfer

Alright, I'm late to the fairway party. I could search for it, but I'm fairly certain I said I loved the 4W after hitting it really early on. I think before they came out. I pretty much boycotted the bonded hosel though, and still do, so I went other directions and had a great year mostly not playing a FW at all. Carried 2 drivers a 19* hybrid a lot with no major complaints. A very long hitting FW isn't really useful for me anyway, and when I only carried 1 driver I would carry both hybrid and UT for different shots. With softer weather coming though I had started thinking more about a higher lofted FW, and really wanted to love the new Super Hybrid.

Problem was, I just haven't benn all that impressed with the Super. Definitely not at what they're asking for it, despite the adjustability. So I started thinking FW again. Unfortunately, having not played one in a LOT of rounds (I'm over 200 on the year) when I took out my old favorite 3W I had definitely lost some comfortability hitting a FW. And the 3W still wasn't useful for me.

Went to grab a wedge and came across a used (barely) Speed 5W with an MMT 70X shaft and a really weird grip on the rack. Gave it a wiggle and it seemed a little short. Measured and it was, so I went to talk to one of the guys I know when about this setup that surely NO ONE would ever want, and what they would take for it. Sticker said $288.

Walked out with it for $155 :D , regripped it, swapped weights, and got it where I thought it would suit in all of 15 minutes.

Well I took it out today, and I will freely admit that at a steal of a price I am beyond impressed. First shot was into a par 5 without so much as a practice swing and it went well, and things mostly only went more well from there. I have the first and a few of the ones after.

Landing like a feather at 250 with easy, unsure initial swings, living in the 270+ range off the tee all day in soft conditions, and going 5W-5W to greenside on 550y par 5's is more than enough to impress me in something so damn easy to hit. The seconde one into that last par 5 was a bit of a miss, but you'd never know it from the result.

NONE of the things that were bugging me a little about the Super Hybrid. Looks and feels great, LOVED how easy I could play it to spin and land soft or knock some spin off from the tee, ease of getting it up without turning it compared to my hybrid, etc. etc.

So.. I'm glad I didn't get the 4W because it was still pretty long for me at the time and I think the 5 is going to be more useful. I didn't have to support the non-adjustability that just costs all of us more money because someone else bought it new and it was already out there and local, and since it was cut down it plays flatter like I would have adjusted one to. It looks sounds feels and flies better than the Super Hybrid for me. It was barely used for about half retail and WAY less than the Super Hybrid.

Yup. Consider me a fan already.

Glad it worked out for you, great distance, trajectory…..BINGO! Got a winner. Congrats!

Alright, I'm late to the fairway party. I could search for it, but I'm fairly certain I said I loved the 4W after hitting it really early on. I think before they came out. I pretty much boycotted the bonded hosel though, and still do, so I went other directions and had a great year mostly not playing a FW at all. Carried 2 drivers a 19* hybrid a lot with no major complaints. A very long hitting FW isn't really useful for me anyway, and when I only carried 1 driver I would carry both hybrid and UT for different shots. With softer weather coming though I had started thinking more about a higher lofted FW, and really wanted to love the new Super Hybrid.

Problem was, I just haven't benn all that impressed with the Super. Definitely not at what they're asking for it, despite the adjustability. So I started thinking FW again. Unfortunately, having not played one in a LOT of rounds (I'm over 200 on the year) when I took out my old favorite 3W I had definitely lost some comfortability hitting a FW. And the 3W still wasn't useful for me.

Went to grab a wedge and came across a used (barely) Speed 5W with an MMT 70X shaft and a really weird grip on the rack. Gave it a wiggle and it seemed a little short. Measured and it was, so I went to talk to one of the guys I know when about this setup that surely NO ONE would ever want, and what they would take for it. Sticker said $288.

Walked out with it for $155 :D , regripped it, swapped weights, and got it where I thought it would suit in all of 15 minutes.

Well I took it out today, and I will freely admit that at a steal of a price I am beyond impressed. First shot was into a par 5 without so much as a practice swing and it went well, and things mostly only went more well from there. I have the first and a few of the ones after.

Landing like a feather at 250 with easy, unsure initial swings, living in the 270+ range off the tee all day in soft conditions, and going 5W-5W to greenside on 550y par 5's is more than enough to impress me in something so damn easy to hit. The seconde one into that last par 5 was a bit of a miss, but you'd never know it from the result.

NONE of the things that were bugging me a little about the Super Hybrid. Looks and feels great, LOVED how easy I could play it to spin and land soft or knock some spin off from the tee, ease of getting it up without turning it compared to my hybrid, etc. etc.

So.. I'm glad I didn't get the 4W because it was still pretty long for me at the time and I think the 5 is going to be more useful. I didn't have to support the non-adjustability that just costs all of us more money because someone else bought it new and it was already out there and local, and since it was cut down it plays flatter like I would have adjusted one to. It looks sounds feels and flies better than the Super Hybrid for me. It was barely used for about half retail and WAY less than the Super Hybrid.

Yup. Consider me a fan already.

Happy it's working for you

Well, I am the guy who needs the length of a 4 wood. Bought the Speed several months ago (trade up-trade in) and put it in the bag in August - Riptide 60 Shaft at 42.5 inches, put a heavier weight in to get it to D2-3. Before using the Stack System, flight was low mid, now it's high like it should be ... I am also using the Speed 7 wood. These are the first Callaway Woods I've liked in a long time.

Last edited:
The Titleist Howitzer with PT fairways have finally been overtaken.

Took the Max LS out yesterday for the first time in a while. Hit a couple pretty good ones and then put it away, and giving it back to the guy I sold it to.

It's always interesting to see how personal preferences and bias play a role in how people react to things. So I'll say this. I like Callaway drivers. They've served me very well. I've also maintained from my very first time out with it when it was released that the Max LS is SERIOUSLY loud, and not in a good way, to me. It surprised me and I think the exact quote in Live Round was "Holy hell!"

Had a couple guys with me yesterday, one I'd never played with. After crushing one and announcing that I still think it sound like hell, new guy said "It is REALLY Ping-y". And I'm laughing. A hole later after my buddy hits 'IS that a Ping (driver)?' (It is) 'I actually like that better'.

And yet people come down on the G425's so hard for the sound, and not a lot of hate for these. To be clear, I don't enjoy either, but if you like the look and performance that can be enough, and what really matters right?

Still have a Speed head, but no regrets about moving on from the Max LS for me.
I laughed out loud at your comment about the sound. It was startling to me the first time I hit it. Coming from the B21, which was very muted by comparison, this sounds like a cannon :LOL:.

I still need some time to try to dial my Max LS in since I'm testing the Super Hybrid I've been focused on using that when I get a chance. I was definitely pleased with the initial results and am hoping that moving the weight to a new position will help put this right where I want :D

I laughed out loud at your comment about the sound. It was startling to me the first time I hit it. Coming from the B21, which was very muted by comparison, this sounds like a cannon :LOL:.

I still need some time to try to dial my Max LS in since I'm testing the Super Hybrid I've been focused on using that when I get a chance. I was definitely pleased with the initial results and am hoping that moving the weight to a new position will help put this right where I want :D
Oh man. Yeah, I bet that difference was a surprise.

11/14 FIR today. Speed driver is still good with the Evenflow shaft. Still want to do a driver fitting this winter as I feel like I am leaving distance on the tee as I hit my 3W Mavrik SZ as long as the driver today twice. Other times I am really hitting it well and getting plenty of distance. 🤷‍♂️ Something to think about and work out with a fitting.

So I've seemed to lose a bit of distance now that I have a HZRDUS Smoke Blue (over my Ventus Blue) in the Speed but my dispersion has tightened up considerably. That's funny to me because earlier in the year when my driver swing was still a disaster, the Smoke Blue had me hammering the ball but dispersion was awful. It's one reason I'm so excited to be fit in December. Finding the right combination with my swing, man that's going to be special for me!

So was killing some time this morning while the Jeep was getting the interior protection and ceramic coating and went to dicks and was hitting the Speed driver and I think I like the feel just a tad better. Was seeing avg SS 109 BS 256 distance 280+ total. This was with no practice swings going in cold. Considering trading my max ls head for a speed. Not sure yet.

So was killing some time this morning while the Jeep was getting the interior protection and ceramic coating and went to dicks and was hitting the Speed driver and I think I like the feel just a tad better. Was seeing avg SS 109 BS 256 distance 280+ total. This was with no practice swings going in cold. Considering trading my max ls head for a speed. Not sure yet.

One gives up some forgiveness, if needed, for some speed and better feel/sound and a better looking head.

One gives up some forgiveness, if needed, for a bit more speed and better feel/sound.
Yep. I had the same shaft in my max ls just in a 70g so it felt heavy but I like the looks of the max ls at address a little better but it’s a toss up. My spin was between 2800-3200

You've been working out! :p

Yes sir I have haha. I’d like to see what it is when I’m warmed up and can really put a swing on it but I’m seriously thinking of putting the max ls up for trade for a 9* Speed head.

Yes sir I have haha. I’d like to see what it is when I’m warmed up and can really put a swing on it but I’m seriously thinking of putting the max ls up for trade for a 9* Speed head.
What's the launch like for you between them?

What's the launch like for you between them?
The max ls launches a little lower I think if I remember correctly. I hit the max ls today too and my bs was around 150-151

The max ls launches a little lower I think if I remember correctly. I hit the max ls today too and my bs was around 150-151
Makes sense. Speed flies a little higher for me too. Something about the shape of the face.

That's part of why I moved on from the LS. Could hit these EPIC bombs on occasion but it actually lags a little bit for me overall. Bunch of meh/middling results on good strikes that made me :unsure: and was frustrating to think I was leaving something out there.

I was striping my Epic Speed driver on the range this evening.. here's to hoping it carries over to the course tomorrow!!

Back