First Look: Callaway Epic MAX Star Lineup

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Callaway Golf is never shy of pushing out products they know might not target the masses but instead hit a specific demographic. Over the last few years, we have seen the Epic line take off in popularity, only to be followed up by a lighter-weight and more premium option later in the calendar year. Today is that day, as we get a first look at the new Epic MAX Star lineup from Callaway Golf. 

Callaway-Epic-MAX-Star-Lineup-1.jpeg

Epic Speed, Epic MAX, and Epic MAX LS have been three of the most discussed drivers on the market throughout 2021. All three of them offer exceptional performance for a wide variety of golfers, however, in Callaway’s research, there is a segment of golfers who are missing out on...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
That colour scheme is bang in my wheelhouse. Looks awesome.

A 30g shaft in the driver. Blimey that's light.

Those prices though.... Jeez. And no adjustability in the hosel either.

I think it's a great step, but I do have to agree that the price puts it out of reach for a lot of people. Looking at other brands forgiving irons or lack of swing speed irons they seem a little less expensive.

That being said, if I had them I would absolutely try them but sticker shock being what it is I don't think I would reach out and look into those for a new set up.

The woods do sound very interesting though, whether you're a sweeper or someone who strikes down. With the variety of options that may be part of the line that really excels, I don't know another max forgiveness and assistance line with as many options (though I'm sure you get close with other major brands).

350 each for irons!! WOW.

I know everyone will go ga-ga at the price, but in this segment with the type of aim and goals it has, I don’t know that anyone does it better than callaway. Good write up Dean.

For those who need or want super lightweight with a premium appearance, Callaway offers a premium option. Sort of like the Honma/Beres of the USA without the gold plating. But once again, everything is relative - Beres starts at about $550/iron. The price is the price.

If I were in that market, I'd take a fitting for them.

For those who need or want super lightweight with a premium appearance, Callaway offers a premium option. Sort of like the Honma/Beres of the USA without the gold plating. But once again, everything is relative - Beres starts at about $550/iron. The price is the price.

This is exactly where it aims in my opinion. A bit more high tech than Beres, originally for that same market and premium components.

I love my set of Epic Forged Star Irons and certainly will give these a swing if I see them.
Maybe it's me, however these don't look as "Forgiving" as Epic Forged....

You had me at 9w, Dean.

Weaker lofts in the irons is a rare thing to hear. I’d be curious the reason for it considering all the tungsten used.

wow, they nailed the looks on those irons. They look really good in that finish.

Pricing aside, these look marvelous, simple marvelous. And it was lighter clubs (the Goldwin AVDP Irons) that were game changers for me - I was always a picker, somehow the weight system they employed got me to completely change my approach to the game sort of wish I still had them.

Now all that said, and I am always in the tank for Callaway since they helped establish a beginning golfer project with me at my girls' elementary school in the early 2000's, pricing for me is non-starter - but I may need to keep an eye out for used sets!:p

Spot on. It's exactly the market they are after with these. Light weight. Super premium. And with that goldish look. Honma/beres is a perfect example. Plus this whole idea comes from the Japanese market where long, light, and left sells big.

The irons just look flat out cool. They look more Apex Pro than anything else in their lineup but unlike the other clubs, they are different than what they have out there.

These look really great and clean. but I’m never a fan of bonded hosel and would prefer opti fit option.

Man the clubs look incredible!

I don't think I am the target demographic, but love that they have options for people who want to step into something super premium, but may need help with speed.

Great writeup @ddec

I'm not sure how a 50g graphite iron shaft would feel either. It doesn't say what flexes are available. I'm guessing L, S and R.

Are these marketed purely at ladies and seniors? I can't think who else would have the slow swing speed to game them.

Wow I really like the look of these clubs!

350 each for irons!! WOW.
PXG is looking better every day now. The big 5 better get their costs under control the "average golfer" will be looking elsewhere. I know that I'll be giving PXG a serious look the next time I'll be considering new equipment.

Fantastic write up Dean. Those irons sure are pretty.

I was going to say how much I like these clubs. I am not a Callaway guy.
Guess I have expensive taste.

Every single one of those clubs looks phenomenal, particularly the irons. a 9w and an 8h? Oh yes, I would give those the #TeamHeadcover treatment no bother. But the price....? I understand the premium product situation, but those are waaaaay too rich for my blood.

The irons, yep that works.

I don't think I've ever wanted a set of irons so badly for aesthetic purposes...

The. New. Callaway. Epic. Star. Irons. Are. Fire.

Please, please, please make the Apex Pro 21s in that finish?

1634043198894.png

1634043210831.png

1634043232463.png

Back