First Look: Callaway Epic MAX Star Lineup

Aesthetically, the irons look fantastic. I saw some pics of an Epic Max Fast iron a while ago that seemed to be an update to the Epic Forged irons. I have to say that I like the black finish better on them.

The price though. Oof. Mentally I am able to accept the price on the irons. The driver and fairways though I am struggling to justify in my head. I don't know if there's a material change that is demanding $150 more for the driver. Or, if it's a production thing. They have to charge that much to justify the clubs existence.

Other than that, I have no doubt these will perform for the target market. If my Dad was still able to play, this would be something I think would really benefit him.

You had me at 9w, Dean.

Weaker lofts in the irons is a rare thing to hear. I’d be curious the reason for it considering all the tungsten used.
Maybe more spin for slower swing speeds? Need some more spin to keep the ball airborne.

My father-in-law is probably the type of golfer these would be perfect for. Slower swing speed, ultra premium product. Has had a brand new GBB Epic star driver in the bag when that was released.

OMG. Attas Speed graphite shafts? And these look great to boot.

The finishes & looks are straight fire, and the club offerings show who the line is directed at - older slower swingers with money to burn. Not my segment for sure, but I know of at least 2-3 golfers that would probably have no qualms buying these.

I'm not sure how a 50g graphite iron shaft would feel either. It doesn't say what flexes are available. I'm guessing L, S and R.

Are these marketed purely at ladies and seniors? I can't think who else would have the slow swing speed to game them.
:golf2: That would be me. I'm a slow club swinger but I'm not a senior...

Those clubs look great! But the price:eek: And the Ocho and higher lofted woods in RH only?:rolleyes::cry: Looks like I won't be looking at these. (Not that I would in the first place. WAY, way, way outside of my budget.)

Good write up. These irons look so good from a cosmetics aspect, and these look to fit the players they are aiming at really well in this space.

I really like that they are making an effort to have something for everyone! Does it fit me? Most likely not but they want to have the best for all segments.

Good job, @ddec . Normally, a set like this wouldn't hold my attention for more than five seconds. But, this look kind of speaks to me, loudly:

1634046650370.png

I was reading the article and thought how much these could suit Jen with the light weight, but then I got to the price and there is no way I could justify that price for a set for her when I expect I could find something from another manufacturer at a fraction of the cost

I love the concept, but the price is definitely a tough one to justify in my eyes

Wow! This look great! They look like a black version of the pros!

I'm definitely not the target audience for these but they nailed the looks on those irons. Put that finish on the Apex/Apex Pro and I may have to buy another set...

Beautiful clubs Callaway hit a home run in the looks dept!

The clubs look fantastic and I'm sure they will perform well.
But they are so out of my price range, the wife doesn't have to worry about me buying them.

Callaway Golf is never shy of pushing out products they know might not target the masses but instead hit a specific demographic. Over the last few years, we have seen the Epic line take off in popularity, only to be followed up by a lighter-weight and more premium option later in the calendar year. Today is that day, as we get a first look at the new Epic MAX Star lineup from Callaway Golf.

Continue reading...
They look beautiful, and Calloway applies serious tech to their woods.

I'm good with my old stuff, but if I were young and on the upswing with my game, I'd have to look at those.
I also wouldn't living on a fixed income, either!

My goodness those irons are absolutely beautiful! I wish that was an offered finish for the Pros :love::love:

And yes, the price. Someone mentioned it earlier but these are NOT made for the average golfer. These are made for the (almost certainly) older groups with money burning a hole in their pocket They are targeting a market and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them be successful at it.

The irons just look flat out cool. They look more Apex Pro than anything else in their lineup but unlike the other clubs, they are different than what they have out there.
Did they use the same process for the black finish as on the previous Epic Flash Star Forged irons? The finish on those wore off quickly making them look old before their time.

OMG. Attas Speed graphite shafts? And these look great to boot.
The previous Epic Flash Star drivers (I have one) also used the Attas Speed Graphite shafts. Will be interesting to see the 2019 version compared to the new version regarding performance.

irons look damn good...but are the heads any lighter than a normal iron head? no articles that ive found specifically mention this for the irons...only the other 3. or is it just the shaft/grip?

Great (and premium) looking clubs.

Aesthetically, the irons look fantastic. I saw some pics of an Epic Max Fast iron a while ago that seemed to be an update to the Epic Forged irons. I have to say that I like the black finish better on them.

The price though. Oof. Mentally I am able to accept the price on the irons. The driver and fairways though I am struggling to justify in my head. I don't know if there's a material change that is demanding $150 more for the driver. Or, if it's a production thing. They have to charge that much to justify the clubs existence.

Other than that, I have no doubt these will perform for the target market. If my Dad was still able to play, this would be something I think would really benefit him.

I agree. The looks are stellar.

Nice write up Dean! Love Callaway willingness to market premium equipment to niche golfers knowing ‘one size’ doesn’t fit all. I’m getting to the point where speed is king and lighter the better… ponder initiated

Yes, extremely pricey. I can't imagine this line is THAT much better in terms of improving your game, over a "standard" set of golf clubs.

Back