Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Going to look for either a ZX5 or possibly a 585 6,7, or 8 iron to buy and test out. I really think the turf interaction would be beneficial to how I swing. Fittings around here are all indoors so it's impossible to determine that way, at least for me. I have a good feeling about the ZX5's and if this works out, a fitting and set purchase will be right around the corner...!

Interesting to see how much more consistent and better your ballstriking was with the ZX5s. Even AoA moved considerably into the right direction. Fitting and adapting a club to one's individual swing and requirements to perform your best swing is such an underrated part of the Golf game :)
Sorry I did not respond sooner to this. Trying to get the house ready for sale. It's been many years since I've had to do this. As for more consistency ,yes as noted they're all left but that is my instructor modifying my swing and I know she's creating more a in to out with a strong grip for right now to compensate for my over the top. I'm easily able to modify my swing or my grip to go straight or to have a nice fade to it. But to be able to do this without thinking will take time. Honestly it's nice to see the Ping Zing hold hold its own even with its age, but the zx5 feel so good during ball contact.

Hey guys,

I currently game the Zx5s, but am going to order the zx7s in 8-PW.
I hit my zx5 8i ~150

Do I need to bend the Zx7 a degree stronger to hit that 150 mark?

Just curious what most people do when they blend (or what srixon recommends).

When I was on the Trackman last winter ZX5 short iron carry distances were only 3-4 yards farther for me than a ZX7. In the long irons it was a bit more. My sig shows my mixed set.

Going to look for either a ZX5 or possibly a 585 6,7, or 8 iron to buy and test out. I really think the turf interaction would be beneficial to how I swing. Fittings around here are all indoors so it's impossible to determine that way, at least for me. I have a good feeling about the ZX5's and if this works out, a fitting and set purchase will be right around the corner...!
Check out Global Golf. They have a program called U Try. You can try a complete set of irons or driver or putter, a complete set of irons will cost you $50. That includes shipping both ways and you get it for 2 weeks. I borrowed a set of ZX-5 and played two weeks worth while on vacation. And yes they feel fantastic in the turf, I also brought my original clubs with me and compare them in deep rough. These Srixons just cut right through the rough and were only about 7 yards short of my normal distance.

Hey guys,

I hit my zx5 8i ~150

I thought about doing this to accept at 63 years of age my swing is starting to slow down so the 7s just would not last for me. There are several members on this forum that had the combination you were talking about. Depending on the shaft you play I might be interested in purchasing your 8, 9 and pitching wedge5
Hey guys,

I hit my zx5 8i ~150

Hey guys,

I hit my zx5 8i ~150

After 20 years of playing my Zing's I had decided to start looking for new clubs and as it turned out the zx5 were a perfect fit for me using the motus 105 stiff shaft. I thought about doing what you're doing using the fives and the seven combination but I just feel at age 63 years I just won't be able to keep the swing much longer looks like you and I have about the same yardage with the 8-iron I'm right around 155. If you decide to sell the 8 9 and pitching wedge if you have the motifs stiff I might be interested in buying them. I am a bit jealous that you're going to be going the five and seven route:)

On another note I just purchased a U85 6 iron to try out. Thinking of 5,6 U85 and 7,8,9,PW in ZX5s...I'm not getting any younger 😫

I thought about doing this to accept at 63 years of age my swing is starting to slow down so the 7s just would not last for me. There are several members on this forum that had the combination you were talking about. Depending on the shaft you play I might be interested in purchasing your 8, 9 and pitching wedge5
After 20 years of playing my Zing's I had decided to start looking for new clubs and as it turned out the zx5 were a perfect fit for me using the motus 105 stiff shaft. I thought about doing what you're doing using the fives and the seven combination but I just feel at age 63 years I just won't be able to keep the swing much longer looks like you and I have about the same yardage with the 8-iron I'm right around 155. If you decide to sell the 8 9 and pitching wedge if you have the motifs stiff I might be interested in buying them. I am a bit jealous that you're going to be going the five and seven route:)
My Zx5s have the recoil 95 stiff shafts. I tested Modus 105 against them and found no real difference.

My Zx5s have the recoil 95 stiff shafts. I tested Modus 105 against them and found no real difference.
So what made you decide on one Shaft or another? I believe I've heard the recoils r a little more forgiving for wrist problems

So what made you decide on one Shaft or another? I believe I've heard the recoils r a little more forgiving for wrist problems
That’s exactly why I chose the recoils.

At the time I was having wrist issues, and just wanted to be safe.

Turns out it wan’t a wrist issue, but instead knots in my thoracic muscles (can lead to wrist pain). Foam rolled it out using a tennis ball and haven’t had problems since.
Fwiw a fitter/instructor told me that wrist issues have less to do with graphite vs steel and more to do with shaft weight. Heavier it is, harder it is on joints etc.

Last edited:
That’s exactly why I chose the recoils.

At the time I was having wrist issues, and just wanted to be safe.

Turns out it wan’t a wrist issue, but instead knots in my thoracic muscles (can lead to wrist pain). Foam rolled it out using a tennis ball and haven’t had problems since.
Fwiw a fitter/instructor told me that wrist issues have less to do with graphite vs steel and more to do with shaft weight. Heavier it is, harder it is on joints etc.
Interesting, have not heard that before. And me and my prior life being a mechanic I always had to be careful about that. Well if you think about selling your unused clubs PM me, or DM whatever they call it nowadays

I'm easily able to modify my swing or my grip to go straight or to have a nice fade to it. But to be able to do this without thinking will take time. Honestly it's nice to see the Ping Zing hold hold its own even with its age, but the zx5 feel so good during ball contact.
Wow, must be nice to easily shape all the shot shapes even with a little bit of thinking! I play with a lot of low single digit handicaps and scratch and even they can’t easily modify their swing and grip to produce such shot shapes. That is some serious game! Heck I played with a few guys last week who are +3 and +4 and even they were talking about how hard it is to do this.

Wow, must be nice to easily shape all the shot shapes even with a little bit of thinking! I play with a lot of low single digit handicaps and scratch and even they can’t easily modify their swing and grip to produce such shot shapes. That is some serious game! Heck I played with a few guys last week who are +3 and +4 and even they were talking about how hard it is to do this.
Yeah well it sounds like I've got game but if you've seen me on the course you'd wonder why I have golf clubs in my hand :). I just need to work on consistency because right now I'm not even scoring my round, afraid to see how high the score is

Another good day of ball striking with the 7's. The feel is amazing on them, you can tell when you catch one towards the toe but the tungsten will help keep it on line. Played on bent grass today that was mowed very short and the irons just cut threw it with ease.

On another note I just purchased a U85 6 iron to try out. Thinking of 5,6 U85 and 7,8,9,PW in ZX5s...I'm not getting any younger 😫
That's my setup with KBS 90 R. I @m confident you will enjoy how they perform

I continue to love the feel of the zx5 and with ground over here getting softer and the rough a bit thicker and heavier the sole is really coming into its own. I am also toying with getting the 8,9,P in the zx7 to see if I could play the combo set.

That's my setup with KBS 90 R. I @m confident you will enjoy how they perform
Just hit the u-85 6-iron in my backyard off the mat, interesting ball flight and extremely forgiving. Thank goodness the next closest house is 250 yards away according to Google Maps

I continue to love the feel of the zx5 and with ground over here getting softer and the rough a bit thicker and heavier the sole is really coming into its own. I am also toying with getting the 8,9,P in the zx7 to see if I could play the combo set.
Agreed. When I tried out the zx5 for 2 weeks on a golf course I found that the interaction of deep rough and the iron it was phenomenal compared to my Ping Zing

Going to hit the range today or tomorrow to see what I have to work with this week in NM. Always excited to hit these beauties!

Went to the grass section of the range today and forgot my golf shoes. Had a little slippage that caused some issues, but overall a pleasant session.

Man these are fun to hit, even with range rocks that need to be replaced.

Don’t overlook the AW….:cool:

Went to the grass section of the range today and forgot my golf shoes. Had a little slippage that caused some issues, but overall a pleasant session.

Man these are fun to hit, even with range rocks that need to be replaced.
Back in the day I would purposely wear standard sneakers to make sure my swing wasn't too fast for erratic. No spikes will definitely show a erratic swing

Reactions: J4U
All right my beauties, well done today on the range. One more round and you'll get to meet another member of our iron family!
20211019_084606.jpg

Your son will be happy you're giving those to him :)

I was in the process of looking for my retirement set of irons . I am retiring next year early summer. I won't have the income to club ho anymore . I went into the closest golf super store to try a few irons . Went in looking to try the Titleist t300 and Mizuno 921 hot metals .
I want to move to graphite easier on the old bones and joints . I found the T300's were better for me over the 921"s .
The rep said I have an iron you might like some over our reps here are playing them and have sold well . He brings me the Zx5 7 iron with a r flex recoil 95 shaft.
Pure magic , the feeling is so soft and pleasing , another thing I liked was the distance longer and more accurate than the t300's which was a surprise since the T300 is 2* stonger in the 7 iron.
In short I ordered the 5-pw with the recoil but being a lefty the gap wedge is not offered . So what are you guys using to fill in the gap between pw and sw ?
I was thing of a cbx2 or Cleveland zip core 48 or 50 to stay in the same line .

Back