The Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood

Used the Hy-Wood a lot yesterday. Worked very well. Had a couple of less than stellar swings but the ball was still in play and only lost a few yards. I have the Epic SH in the 3W slot and the Hy-wood in the 5W position. Seems to be working at the moment.

Really all I can say is that this is the only club where I stepped up and started hittings balls dead center and right down my target line immediately. I was a bit concerned about the 40 gram shaft but the club is perfectly balanced so I did not notice at all. I was really surprised at how much I could vary the trajectory. I figured high and higher would be my only two options. The rails were helping noticeable out of the rough. A really great club for me.

I hate you guys. I have a 4w and am happy with my bag but you all make me want to get one of these

I hate you guys. I have a 4w and am happy with my bag but you all make me want to get one of these
I would say its worth a try :D

69685C6B-E4AC-4ABA-A778-CC11AC59CF89.jpeg
My HyWood is reshafted & ready to go, went with a Matrix Ozik Altus Tour H8 shaft in stiff. I went with this shaft because it’s one of my favorite hybrid shafts of all time…

054A7399-F449-4821-BE08-143FEB16181D.jpeg

Let’s go…

Last edited:
9CE3211F-BE2C-44A3-9755-F9CFD26E1836.jpeg
Apex UW v. HyWood v. Epic Super Hybrid

Not going to fib, @JDax stopped by to use the shop while I was working. Reshafted that thing and the first swing was as pure as I have ever heard him make contact.

With the reshaft, you lose the counter weight in the stock offering, but if I would have ordered the stock stiff version from Cleveland, I would have opted for the “Accuracy build” option and lost the counter weight anyway.

I built this club at - 1 inch to stock.

Hit a few beautiful shots with the hy-wood today. It was a sloppy mess on a good course at the Lake of the Ozarks and I hit this very high and long with very little rollout. I needed that extra carry today.

I have a 4 wood too. It’s in my garage after I put this in the bag.

I have a 4 wood too. It’s in my garage after I put this in the bag.
So this is going to be a thing then? Lol I’ve been trying to temper my tinkering mentality but this might be too hard to resist as I’m not good hitting a fairway wood off of the deck. I’m not great at hybrids either but I’m getting better.

I blame this purchase on @JB @Canadan and @JDax or maybe some drinking during the THP Friday Night Live event:

Went to my PGATSS store and ran into my “Guy” there and said “Do have the new Cleveland Halo HyWood?” He said he never heard of it and went to the Cleveland wood section and behold, there is 2, Reg and Stiff. He picks it up and says “Wow, this thing looks good, let’s go hit it” Well within 5 strokes, distance fits right in my bag, replacing my Mavrik Max 5w. This gives me so much more versatility than the 5w. I tried the UW with the RDX Blue Shaft and I just wasn’t as consistent with it as the HyWood. My guy said he was going to hit the stiff when I left. Had it regripped right away and the guy said to me when he put it down “Wow this looks like nice!” I’ll put it in play tomorrow. The shaft works for me for sure. I didn’t even notice the lightweight38739468-9C56-4054-8CA2-C52841FAFFCA.jpeg

Last edited:
I blame this purchase on @JB @Canadan and @JDax or maybe some drinking during the the THP Friday Night Live event:

Went to my PGATSS store and ran into my “Guy” there and said “Do have the new Cleveland Halo HyWood?” He said he never heard of it and went to the Cleveland wood section and behold, there is 2, Reg and Stiff. He picks it up and says “Wow, this thing looks good, let’s go hit it” Well within 5 strokes, distance fits right in my bag, replacing my Mavrik Max 5w. This gives me so much more versatility than the 5w. I tried the UW with the RDX Blue Shaft and I just wasn’t as consistent with it as the HyWood. My guy said he was going to hit the stiff when I left. Had it regripped right away and the guy said to me when he put it down “Wow this looks like nice!” I’ll put it in play tomorrow. The shaft works for me for sure. I didn’t even notice the lightweight

This club is a real weapon off the deck and the tee. After one round, it appears to fill the gap in my bag that I’m looking to fill.

I didn’t have one shot today where I hit it out of the rough and I was able to tear through the turf and muscle it out of the lie. This was most surprising…

Best thing about this club is having confidence at a range that used to be 'hit and hope'

210 yard par 3 over water playing into a 10-15mph wind today. Before this club I would've tried to hit a 5-wood in the zip code try to get up and down and be fine with a bogey.

Pured a Hy-wood that flew dead straight and landed pin high 18 feet left of the pin. (I three putted for that same bogey, but that's not relavant.....)

(I three putted for that same bogey, but that's not relavant.....)

that sounds all too familiar...relevance notwithstanding.

can Anyone tell me if the stock shaft plays true to flex?
I know it’s light (which I like) but I’m right on the edge between regular and Senior flex. With the 40g stock offering in this, I’m thinking regular?

can Anyone tell me if the stock shaft plays true to flex?
I know it’s light (which I like) but I’m right on the edge between regular and Senior flex. With the 40g stock offering in this, I’m thinking regular?
I tried both flexes and I just launched the Regular flex better. I’m a 86/130 swinger if that helps.

I tried both flexes and I just launched the Regular flex better. I’m a 86/130 swinger if that helps.
When you say 86/130 swinger, I’m assuming that’s 86mph with driver? I have no idea what the 130 means, lol.

Last edited:
I have an irrational desire to hit this thing. How similar is it in size to this guy? View attachment 9035784

I have the 21 degree in that same Adams model. Going off memory when I saw the hy-wood in the shop, it was larger. I don’t know what the size of your 17 is, but the head size of the 21 is fairly small to my eye.

When you say 86/130 swinger, I’m assuming that’s 86mph with driver? I have no idea what the 130 means, lol.
85 swing speed and 130 ball speed with Driver

74BDB6F2-6A97-4D53-9FBD-12B8989CCB87.jpeg
I play this hole once or twice a year and it always gives me fits. It is across a cove of water an plays about 10-15 yards uphill. Hit a beautiful Hy-Wood pin high and two putted for an easy par. Great confidence in this club.

First round in the book with the Hy-Wood and have to ask “Where has this club been all year?” Hit some great “Off the Ground” fairway shots that I haven’t been able to hit all year. Just glides on the ground. It’s just so easy to hit. What a great design!!! This club is really a “Must Try”

Back