Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Still REALLY digging my Speed 5W. Teed with it some today and then hit a 260 beauty over some very tall trees on a par 5 dogleg that stuck center green for an eagle chance. I would have had to sling it around with my hybrid. Loving it.

I had a sore/stiff back after 5 hours of driving but still hit some drives that were longer than they should have been with the Epic Speed. I also hit a couple really good shots off the deck with my Epic Speed 5w

I saw today that Golfworks has weights for the Epic Max and Max LS if anybody can figure out how to remove or install them. :D I still need to measure the swing weight in mine.

I saw today that Golfworks has weights for the Epic Max and Max LS if anybody can figure out how to remove or install them. :D I still need to measure the swing weight in mine.

If you were to loosen your weight in order to slide it, but instead keep unscrewing, the weight will just pop out. Just leave the piece that is in the channel, and then screw the new weight into that piece. I use the same stock screw even when swapping weights. Really easy peasy to swap out weights.

If you were to loosen your weight in order to slide it, but instead keep unscrewing, the weight will just pop out. Just leave the piece that is in the channel, and then screw the new weight into that piece. I use the same stock screw even when swapping weights. Really easy peasy to swap out weights.

My driver is a full inch shorter than standard, so chances are I'd need to add a second weight. Again, however, I'm not certain because I haven't actually measured the swing weight yet.

Use the wrench that came with the driver - lefty loosey, righty, tighty. That works on my Speed.

Use the wrench that came with the driver - lefty loosey, righty, tighty. That works on my Speed.

The reason I said that is because on their website nobody seemed to know how to replace them because of the bottom piece.

The reason I said that is because on their website nobody seemed to know how to replace them because of the bottom piece.

Oh, yes, they are different from the Speed. You can adjust with the wrench. Replace? Ask Callaway how to animalize them.

It's really not difficult at all. You'll be fine.

There will be an Epic Max 3W going into the bag today. Excited to see what it can do.

Threw the IM10 mid shaft into the Epic Max head for todays round. Worked out quite well, was pleasantly surprised.

i have a line on the new Lin-Q shafts, so should be trying some of those in the coming weeks

I’ve come full circle this season with the Epic Max, and I feel it is now firmly in the bag. While I have other Callaway shafts around, just talking stock, I started out with the Smoke im10 60 6.0. That was causing too many pushes and blocks. Then went to the im10 60 5.5, which was better, but could never really get dialed in. Sprinkle in some time with the Max LS (great head, but slightly unforgiving for me), and then full-on shift to Ping G410/G425 drivers for a couple of months, and that took care of much of the season.

Ping drivers are always the drivers I feel I should play, love looking down at, but never seem to work great for me out on the course. So, a week or two ago, I picked up a cheap Smoke im10 50 6.0 from CPO, and that seems to be my goldilocks with the 9* Epic Max head. A little lighter to get the club around, but a little stiffer to be stable and cut down on dispersion. Works beautifully, and have had my best driving rounds of the season over the past few rounds with this combo. Looking forward to closing out this season with this head and shaft.

I am now at a point where next March or April, getting out for the start of next season, if nothing else has bumped this combo, I will have full confidence going in which is rare for me.

I was making great contact with my Epic Max LS yesterday, but I still need to work on my swing to get the direction dialed in. I started with a new teacher on Friday, so I'm working on a few new swing thoughts.

In my round Saturday my swing was off with driver yet I continued to keep the ball in play with the Epic Speed. This combo works even when my swing is wonky and the ball is in play more often on the bad hits than before.

I still think the 10.5* Max head is too much loft for me, but I’ve paired it with the Smoke IM10 mid shaft for the past 2 rounds, and the tee game has been on point.

today, I hit 13 of 15 fairways. The 2 I missed, were off by a combined total of 7 feet.
I know it wasn’t my longest day off the tee, and I think the ball is spinning too much with is causing some distance loss, but I can’t be mad at the results from today.

I still think the 10.5* Max head is too much loft for me, but I’ve paired it with the Smoke IM10 mid shaft for the past 2 rounds, and the tee game has been on point.

today, I hit 13 of 15 fairways. The 2 I missed, were off by a combined total of 7 feet.
I know it wasn’t my longest day off the tee, and I think the ball is spinning too much with is causing some distance loss, but I can’t be mad at the results from today.

Of course, all of our games are different, but generally speaking, I have found the 9* Max head to be ideal for launch and spin. I did have the 10.5* head for a spell, but it launched too high and spun too much, so I sent it back to Callaway. If you want to bring launch and spin down, but still want a forgiving head that launches, the 9* Max is spot-on IMHO.

I measured the swing weight of my Epic Max LS, and it is right around D2 despite the 44.75" length. I'm happy with that.

Really wish I could find a store that had an Epic Speed FW with an extra stiff shaft I could try. So hard since they're bonded, but I would LOVE to hit one with an 80X. I tried the Max LS driver in a 70X MMT earlier this year and spin was in the 3100-3300s. The Epic Speed driver I tried in a 70X Tensei CK Pro White 70X was great. I think I would really like the Epic Speed FW in a 4 wood with a Hzrdus Smoke 70/80X based on the reviews I've read cause I've heard it is a HOT face!

Last edited:
Of course, all of our games are different, but generally speaking, I have found the 9* Max head to be ideal for launch and spin. I did have the 10.5* head for a spell, but it launched too high and spun too much, so I sent it back to Callaway. If you want to bring launch and spin down, but still want a forgiving head that launches, the 9* Max is spot-on IMHO.

oh I absolutely agree.
I had the Mavrik in 9* and wanted to experiment this year so went with the 10.5 in the Epic Max.
When I did a fitting the 9* Max LS and Speed were better for me, but had already went through with what I have now.
I’ll get a fitting in a couple months and find something even better I am sure!!

Well hello there…
0BEA1AD9-4AB4-429E-9726-2C408D91D985.jpegCBF0AD9B-5BC8-493B-9BFB-6641749DA6EC.jpeg110CD9D3-3AA3-4F90-9A6D-D9E34FDF2B45.jpeg

11/14 FIR today. Speed driver is still good with the Evenflow shaft. Still want to do a driver fitting this winter as I feel like I am leaving distance on the tee as I hit my 3W Mavrik SZ as long as the driver today twice. Other times I am really hitting it well and getting plenty of distance. 🤷‍♂️ Something to think about and work out with a fitting.

What ball are you playing AND have you compared both stix on a LM? I'd be curious to see launch/spin numbers

What ball are you playing AND have you compared both stix on a LM? I'd be curious to see launch/spin numbers
It was either a chrome soft of Tour B RX. I haven't compared on a LM.

Back