New Release: Callaway Apex UW

We should get a round in on Saturday. I will let you swing mine.

Sounds like a much better way to really test it out.

I can't believe I spent all that time in the Tech Studio and didn't get a few swings in with the UW. Damn.

Going to have to live vicariously through you guys while I wait for another chance.

I can't believe I spent all that time in the Tech Studio and didn't get a few swings in with the UW. Damn.

Going to have to live vicariously through you guys while I wait for another chance.
I would be interested in your thoughts relative to the Super Hybrid. It seems that the SH is made for your high speed, high spin swing. If the UW caught your attention relative to the Super Hybrid, it would be further confirmation of what an amazing job Callaway has done with this offering.

We can see Callaway's marketing strategy by the gaps.
Spaced only 2° apart, Callaway is only expecting the potential buyer to purchase one of these Apex UWs..

If they were spaced 3° apart, there would be the potential for some people to buy all three.

A few years ago, Wilson made a club that was supposed to bridge the gap between fairway wood and hybrids. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but the idea wasn't continued into the immediately following product line.

I don't know for certain that such is the principle here, but Callaway didn't space them with the idea that anybody might want a "set." 17-21 doesn't sound like it would be a popular combo, and the 19 certainly wouldn't be chosen with another one of them very often.

It's likely appeal is as a single. Looks like a very nice club, though. Not cheap, either.

We can see Callaway's marketing strategy by the gaps.
Spaced only 2° apart, Callaway is only expecting the potential buyer to purchase one of these Apex UWs..

If they were spaced 3° apart, there would be the potential for some people to buy all three.

A few years ago, Wilson made a club that was supposed to bridge the gap between fairway wood and hybrids. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but the idea wasn't continued into the immediately following product line.

I don't know for certain that such is the principle here, but Callaway didn't space them with the idea that anybody might want a "set." 17-21 doesn't sound like it would be a popular combo, and the 19 certainly wouldn't be chosen with another one of them very often.

It's likely appeal is as a single. Looks like a very nice club, though. Not cheap, either.
I am not sure that I follow the logic. Why don’t 17 and 21 combo well? They actually do for me, perfectly thus far. Isn’t a four degree gap pretty acceptable for fairway woods? There are many 19 degree 5 woods and 15 degree 3 woods. I have a 13.5 degree strong 3 wood and was playing a 17.5 degree 5 wood, until acquiring this profile. If the 4 degree difference works in fairway woods, why wouldn’t they here?

I am not sure that I follow the logic. Why don’t 17 and 21 combo well? They actually do for me, perfectly thus far. Isn’t a four degree gap pretty acceptable for fairway woods? There are many 19 degree 5 woods and 15 degree 3 woods. I have a 13.5 degree strong 3 wood and was playing a 17.5 degree 5 wood, until acquiring this profile. If the 4 degree difference works in fairway woods, why wouldn’t they here?

Yes, you're right. On second thought, 17/21 probably could work well for a lot of players.

I don't see 17/19 or 19/21, though, although everything's possible.

The 19 could be big with people filling the gap between a stronger fairway wood and a 4-iron.

I go 21/24 to fill between my fairway wood and my 5-iron, but those are considered conventional hybrids, not called utility woods.

Yes, you're right. On second thought, 17/21 probably could work well for a lot of players.

I don't see 17/19 or 19/21, though, although everything's possible.

The 19 could be big with people filling the gap between a stronger fairway wood and a 4-iron.

I go 21/24 to fill between my fairway wood and my 5-iron, but those are considered conventional hybrids, not called utility woods.
That is what I am doing. I have a 24 degree 5 iron, then go to the 21 degree UW and finish with the 17 degree UW. I think it will work great. Actually, the 21 degree UW is easier to hit than my 5 iron.

Just ordered a 19* LH, says 1-2 weeks. Wonder if no LH available yet?

Anyways, the 19* is the only LH version available so makes my choice simple. Plan on replacing my Epic Flash 5W with this. I want an anti hook club. Only cost me $39 after using reward credits, pretty good.

I made a dedicated effort to put myself in positions today where I'd have to work it left to right. Whether it be one side if the tee box, certain side of the fairway, blocked out in the rough, or whatever. 4 for 4. A buddy really noticed. "I don't see you work your hybrids right like this." And now that I have a lot of shots in on it, I'm thinking back, and I have yet to snap one off. I can draw it easily, but I haven't accidentally cooked a single one trying.

And I continue to just pound it when I want to while also being about to get it up and place it more softly. That same guy was pretty amazed at what I was getting for distance with just real smoith effort. The efficiency off the face just seems crazy good.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20211019-191026_TheGrint.jpg

I'll get out of this thread for a bit after this, but my comments earlier made me go chart checking, and when a big swing club has ZERO left in the last 20 I go full

That is not common for me, as a draw player, whose miss is LEFT.

View attachment 9036461

I'll get out of this thread for a bit after this, but my comments earlier made me go chart checking, and when a big swing club has ZERO left in the last 20 I go full

That is not common for me, as a draw player, whose miss is LEFT.

I need this in a 19.. I will get one soon.

i feel like this is an extravagance that i must not indulge...

@OldandStiff and others are killing me with their feedback in this thread. I had written all hybrids off as dirty hookers and the feedback in this thread has me questioning my hypothesis. Hmmm.

@OldandStiff and others are killing me with their feedback in this thread. I had written all hybrids off as dirty hookers and the feedback in this thread has me questioning my hypothesis. Hmmm.

UW definitely isn’t a dirty hooker!

I've studied this thread now way more than I care to admit. I wonder if my LGS has one? I might have to go check...

Can someone tell me what the standard grip is on the UW? Don’t want any unnecessary delays, I might have made a mistake yesterday. I clicked on the Callaway - Diamond Universal Black/Grey (46g). I’ll call this morning but just wanted to know, thx.

Can someone tell me what the standard grip is on the UW? Don’t want any unnecessary delays, I might have made a mistake yesterday. I clicked on the Callaway - Diamond Universal Black/Grey (46g). I’ll call this morning but just wanted to know, thx.
20211020_092209.jpg

It's a Lamkin UTx Chev Grey/Black. Soft. No cord.

Last edited:
not a bad grip, multi pattern although I prefer the older Hex universal grips

In the end, I always go back to conventional high loft fairway woods.
That forces me to make room in the bag for a driving iron.

If I played shorter shaft hybrids with more confidence, I wouldn't need to bag a one-trick-pony driving iron for tight driving holes.

The Apex UWs look great, but who can buy everything great looking thing that comes along?
Well, I guess some can, and the OEMs more or less depend on them.
They're making good stuff. They're not conning anybody.
At some point, though, it can get hard to keep up.

Finally got to see these in person. Man they look great. A total mix of a fairway wood and a hybrid. Looks to my eye to sit slightly open too which I LOVE. Didn't hit it today because I want to wait until I can see the actual ball flight. But it definitely passed the looks test

Stopped by the PGASS after work to get a peak at this beauty. Thought I would snap a couple pics to share.
0290a570e2eb5b935eaac82b88a4598b.jpg

9e43b3e6e5ebb2799a33b1130ff7fb5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That picture makes me want to do a shootout.

i want to try a 17*, sounds like a ton of fun :unsure:

Back