Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I'm digging chrome soft.....Speed is so good but I'd love to find out why your sz is getting out there as far....
Glad you like that ball, it is a great ball!!
One thing is I think I swing my 3w faster or as fast as driver and make better contact with it. I have always hit fairway woods better than anything.

The new Rogue drivers look awesome! Love the matte finish.... The GD boys are going to be thrilled.

I did not have a single bad shot with my Speed driver off the tee yesterday. It was me best driving day by far even though it was quite windy out.

Past few weeks have been a swing nightmare. Speed is keeping me in play but no kind of forgiveness is helping the swing I've been putting on. Decided to finally adjust my settings a little and am back to stated/neutral on my 10.5 head. Ball was a lot more under control today. Wether that's the settings or just placebo with something new, I'm not sure. All I can say is, I love this driver and wish I could treat it better with a proper swing

Past few weeks have been a swing nightmare. Speed is keeping me in play but no kind of forgiveness is helping the swing I've been putting on. Decided to finally adjust my settings a little and am back to stated/neutral on my 10.5 head. Ball was a lot more under control today. Wether that's the settings or just placebo with something new, I'm not sure. All I can say is, I love this driver and wish I could treat it better with a proper swing
All in your head, sounds like a tempo issue. You're better than what is showing up, smooth that swing out.

Late to the party on the Epic Speed fairway. I absolutely loved my Mav SZ. The shape, the feel, everything. No similarly shaped equivalent had me out on this release. At least until my Mav met an untimely demise. I received an Epic Speed as a replacement and just wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. Thought no way it would check all the boxes like my Mav. Basically I just couldn't adjust to the different shape.

Lasted a couple of days staring at it in the wrapper. Finally decided that it kind of reminded me of some of the older Callaway fairways I hit in the past and decided to rip the plastic off and hit some shots into my net. It will be staying in the bag. Feels incredible. The ball just absolutely launches off the face.

My season is over. But, I can rest assured that there will be no 3 wood search this off season. Fantastic club.

I was at the range today working and I hit my Epic Max 3W about as good as I can hit it.

1236985A-DDCE-4810-94F0-1E61510AD6DD.jpeg

This isn’t my average, but it is a peak at what this club is capable of when hit on the screws.

The Epic Max LS was awesome for me today and it will not be getting replaced in 2022. I have had many drivers in the bag since I returned to golf in 2018, lets see if I can list them. M1 - Triton - ST190 - Z785 - EXS - Mavrik - Mavrik Max - Mavrik SZ. After using all three Mavrik drivers and settling on the std. version I really thought that nothing could be any better for me. I ordered a Max LS at release thinking it would just be another club to try. My first round with it I did not play all that great but I knew after just a few holes that this club was a whole different animal than what I had used before. I have a negative attack angle with driver that creates a ton of spin so the LS aspect of this club really helps keep the spin down. I also suck at golf and need the forgiveness that a Max style club provides and the Max LS has the most forgiving face that I have ever seen. It also sets up square behind the ball at address and has no draw bias which helps me with my pull hook miss. I will not be trying any new release drivers this year. The Tensei Pro orange Max LS combo performs better than I could have dreamed of and it is staying put for a while.

Just bought the Epic Speed for the third time. Tried G425, G425SFT, TourEdge C721, Cleveland Launcher XL, Epic Max, PXG 0811XF. Nothing sounds or performs any better. Just fun to hit.

Well, the Speed :D is the most fun to hit.:LOL:

It's the consistency that matters.

The Epic Max LS was awesome for me today and it will not be getting replaced in 2022. I have had many drivers in the bag since I returned to golf in 2018, lets see if I can list them. M1 - Triton - ST190 - Z785 - EXS - Mavrik - Mavrik Max - Mavrik SZ. After using all three Mavrik drivers and settling on the std. version I really thought that nothing could be any better for me. I ordered a Max LS at release thinking it would just be another club to try. My first round with it I did not play all that great but I knew after just a few holes that this club was a whole different animal than what I had used before. I have a negative attack angle with driver that creates a ton of spin so the LS aspect of this club really helps keep the spin down. I also suck at golf and need the forgiveness that a Max style club provides and the Max LS has the most forgiving face that I have ever seen. It also sets up square behind the ball at address and has no draw bias which helps me with my pull hook miss. I will not be trying any new release drivers this year. The Tensei Pro orange Max LS combo performs better than I could have dreamed of and it is staying put for a while.

I played my second round with the max yesterday and I am seeing the same benefits. That Tensei orange is no joke, we’re you playing it before this driver?

I played my second round with the max yesterday and I am seeing the same benefits. That Tensei orange is no joke, we’re you playing it before this driver?
Yes I played it in the Mavrik last year after trying a lot of shaft options. I plugged it into the Max LS and it worked so good that I do not need to tinker. It has a nice mid/high flight for me.

Yes I played it in the Mavrik last year after trying a lot of shaft options. I plugged it into the Max LS and it worked so good that I do not need to tinker. It has a nice mid/high flight for me.

awesome to hear. I was playing the Blue 65g Stiff prior to the Epic where I went to a LAGolf X stiff but the results so far have been good.

I had been scared of the orange in the past but now I would like To put some swings on it.

awesome to hear. I was playing the Blue 65g Stiff prior to the Epic where I went to a LAGolf X stiff but the results so far have been good.

I had been scared of the orange in the past but now I would like To put some swings on it.
A lot of people say that it has a unique feel that they do not care for. Counter balanced shafts seem to work good for me and I leave an inch or two of grip above my hands that will enhance the CB effect even further. I like my driver at the std. 45.75" Callaway length but only use the full length when I am trying to hit a bomb.

A lot of people say that it has a unique feel that they do not care for. Counter balanced shafts seem to work good for me and I leave an inch or two of grip above my hands that will enhance the CB effect even further. I like my driver at the std. 45.75" Callaway length but only use the full length when I am trying to hit a bomb.

sounds like a secret weapon with that grip change

The Epic Max is really a safe club for me. When I put a good swing on it the results are great. The big thing for me is my bad shots are usually decent. A little shorter or perhaps in the rough but very often in play.

Sometimes I’m tempted to chase a few extra yards and need to remind myself not to mess with a good thing.

Final season thoughts on the Epic Speed

Sound/Feel - very consistent throughout the face. High heel and high toe, were a little loud/harsh and reminded me of the Epic Flash. Centered balls, I truly don't know if there was a better feeling I've ever had in a driver. Felt like the ball was coming off a metal trampoline with a perfect "crack" sound

Forgiveness - there isn't much to say to the driver here except THANK YOU. Those high heel and toe shots happened way too often but they mostly stayed away from being hooks or slices. The speed frame and the 2021 Flash Face kept ball speeds up which in turn kept distance up on shots that had no right going as far or as straight as they did. Not saying I was competing with a centered ball but I didn't put myself at a distance disadvantage

Distance - mixed bag this season. Longest I've EVER hit the ball at times by a pretty significant margin. Then also times where I felt like I got one and it didn't go as far as one that I didn't catch as well. I really think this club rewards great ball striking. Maybe I could have used the Max with even more forgiveness and higher launch but I really felt when I was clicking with this club, there wasn't anything else that was going to beat it. There was a 27 hole stretch where my AVERAGE drive was 310. That was an unreal couple of days. It's a rocket launcher, but the swing HAS TO BE consistent. It won't automatically do the work for you

Overall - This driver was everything I could have asked for and more this season. I got down to my lowest HC ever at 4.0. Obviously that also had to do with my irons, wedges and putter as well but the Speed put me in advantageous positions I haven't been in on the course before. But all that comes with what I said earlier. I really do think it requires you to be "on" with your swing more often than not. I completely lost my mind and my swing off the tee since August. It's been a frustrating nightmare. But that's on me and my swing. It literally disappeared the second half of the year. The driver worked overtime to make sure I stayed in play and at least got out there a bit distance wise, but I did the club a disservice with my performance the last couple months.

I really believe my game could go to another level if I could have a competent game off the tee. This club had everything I needed to do that and my mind and body let me down and I couldn't get over the hump.

Sim league starts soon so I can get some numbers to see what's happening with the ball and see what I can work on to dial it in before December!

For the most part I have really enjoyed my Speed 4 wood this year, but there have definitely been a few times I could have used more launch off the deck. Has me thinking a 5 wood might be a really good option. Then get a 3 wood for basically tee only. The Callaway Preowned Sale today on them has me pondering strongly.

For the most part I have really enjoyed my Speed 4 wood this year, but there have definitely been a few times I could have used more launch off the deck. Has me thinking a 5 wood might be a really good option. Then get a 3 wood for basically tee only. The Callaway Preowned Sale today on them has me pondering strongly.

Tried a different shaft? I use the Riptide 60 and it seems to work well in the Speed 4. I've added speed recently and ball go higher, so that helps.

Tried a different shaft? I use the Riptide 60 and it seems to work well in the Speed 4. I've added speed recently and ball go higher, so that helps.

I haven't tried anything other than the stock one, especially since its a bonded head. Don't get me wrong, the 4 wood has been pretty good the majority of the time, but I think some added loft would be a help for trying to land par 5 greens which is really all I use it for.

Has anyone compared the speed or max fwy to the SIM2 ti ......5wd in particular

I prefer the Speed over the SIM Ti, and have owned both. Speed is more playable, better feel, and more consistent for me.

The SIM Ti may be longer but I can hit the Speed consistently well every time I've hit it. The Sim Ti was a crapshoot. It must be the size because I have similar issues with the Mizuno STZ - just a bit too large.

I prefer the Speed over the SIM Ti, and have owned both. Speed is more playable, better feel, and more consistent for me.

The SIM Ti may be longer but I can hit the Speed consistently well every time I've hit it. The Sim Ti was a crapshoot. It must be the size because I have similar issues with the Mizuno STZ - just a bit too large.

Thanks......what shaft profile?

I was at the range today working and I hit my Epic Max 3W about as good as I can hit it.

View attachment 9038721

This isn’t my average, but it is a peak at what this club is capable of when hit on the screws.
Holy goodness that’s a hammer. I don’t think I’m swinging mine that well. I seem to be leaking a bit more right with mine than I did with my SpeedZone tour 3W. I’m thinking it’s operator error, at least I hope so.

I may try to get mine on a monitor next week and see what the numbers tell me. I feel like I am getting good launch, which gives me hope.

Back