Callaway Apex Pro vs X-Forged CB Irons

It's honestly confusing for so many people it makes me laugh at least once a week at a course. They could have separated names/letters a bit more.
I really wonder if there was legitimate intent to bring TCB Stateside. Seemed like a reaction decision over a structured decision based on feedback.

It's honestly confusing for so many people it makes me laugh at least once a week at a course. They could have separated names/letters a bit more.

It does seem that those two irons are very similar. Frankly I don't recall which one I have seen in the golf shops.

I really wonder if there was legitimate intent to bring TCB Stateside. Seemed like a reaction decision over a structured decision based on feedback.
I don't see how they wouldn't have eventually. They were in a couple tour bags quick (and a LOT now). I think there would have some really unhappy and vocal people if they were only offered in Europe.

It does seem that those two irons are very similar. Frankly I don't recall which one I have seen in the golf shops.
It's likely it was the XFCB that Dan was hitting. The sound/feel between them is pretty much the same. It's gooood. 👍

On video topic, the XFCB seemed like a great fit for @Canadan from the start back in that live testing. Offset didn't bother him, they feel great, reward good strikes, and launch and spin a little less than some others in that realm.

I think the difference between the Pro and them is just enough to have real value to people. The whole lineup really. They separated wants and needs really well imo.

Good stuff Dan!

Last edited:
There wasn’t. Hence the reason they aren’t found in too many places.

There wasn’t. Hence the reason they aren’t found in too many places.
Did they ever mention a reasoning behind wanting to have different offerings for different geographical areas in a tour iron?

2 iron lines that I love. I agree the the XForged CB sound better.

The big difference to me is the long irons. The Apex pro are just so easy to hit and have some forgiveness I need the others don’t have. No problem at all playing the 4 in the Apex where in XForged I want nothing to do with it.

The Elevate shaft has grown on me. Where I wanted more height it delivered. I thought though they play very soft to flex, the X still feels softer than the 6.0 I have in the XForged.

Enjoyed this video and the subtle differences in sound come through.

What I got from the video is that one of them is pretty good and the other is also pretty good.
Did I miss something?

I suppose if you want to go old school and start with a two-iron, the X-Forged blends with the utilities better.

One wonders, and this is simply a thought, if a clubmaker might do well to offer fewer models and more options within a model--
similar to the T100 and T100s.

But even there, Titleist isn't cutting back on models either.

I remember very well when they had two--the stainless AC-108 and the forged Tour Model.
I suppose there's room for more than two.

Last edited:
Enjoyed this video quite a bit. I like both profiles actually. Pro's look better but CB's feel/sound better. Can't go wrong with either

I tested both out early in the year with the same px I/O 6.0 shafts and I ended up with the XFCB’s. Sound and feel were better in my opinion and I really liked the look as well. With that said I wish I could have tested the TCB’s as well

What I got from the video is that one of them is pretty good and the other is also pretty good.
Did I miss something?

I suppose if you want to go old school and start with a two-iron, the X-Forged blends with the utilities better.

One wonders, and this is simply a thought, if a clubmaker might do well to offer fewer models and more options within a model--
similar to the T100 and T100s.

But even there, Titleist isn't cutting back on models either.

I remember very well when they had two--the stainless AC-108 and the forged Tour Model.
I suppose there's room for more than two.
What is there to gain from offering fewer models?

I have not played either ( my bad is full Titleist) so I'm going based on numbers/sound.

@Canadan could play either set but numbers looked better on XFCB and I thought it even sounded better.

However, as other have stated, it seems like the Pros are a little more forgiving.

For Callaway it costs less to have fewer models if you can address all levels of golfers. For us more models is better.
I doubt companies are out there chasing as many SKUs as they can in design, but if there are subtle changes that support a model variation (like TCB vs X Forged CB), and you limit your product to a level that doesn't have a huge surplus, I really don't agree that the 'cost' is greater.

What is there to gain from offering fewer models?

Multiple models would still be offered, but perhaps not so many.
And one of them could be offered with multiple options.

Titleist offers the T100 with standard lofts and T100S with strong lofts for example. They could also offer a T100C
with classic lofts and a T100Wi with wider gapped lofts for seniors, juniors, and women with slower swing speeds.

Just an idea that I'd like to see at least one manufacturer try.
Maybe there isn't a market for it, but I'd be curious to see.
It would only be one model, above the heavy GI models but below the pure blades.--similar to the T100.

Multiple models would still be offered, but perhaps not so many.
And one of them could be offered with multiple options.

Titleist offers the T100 with standard lofts and T100S with strong lofts for example. They could also offer a T100C
with classic lofts and a T100Wi with wider gapped lofts for seniors, juniors, and women with slower swing speeds.

Just an idea that I'd like to see at least one manufacturer try.
Maybe there isn't a market for it, but I'd be curious to see.
It would only be one model, above the heavy GI models but below the pure blades.--similar to the T100.
Again I ask, what is there to gain from a company offering fewer models? it sounds to me like you'd prefer they ADD a model that strengthens the loft of their X Forged CB.

Again I ask, what is there to gain from a company offering fewer models? it sounds to me like you'd prefer they ADD a model that strengthens the loft of their X Forged CB.

The more models the better.
It's just a matter of how many they'd be willing to offer if one of them came in four loft options as I suggested.

The two Callaway models referenced in the thread, I would guess, would both be competitors to the T100, the JPX 921 Tours,
and similar models above the GI level but not pure blades..

I would like to see one of these offered with old fashioned WEAKER lofts,
PLUS the two lofts that the T100s are offered in,
PLUS a 5/6º increment set for slower swing speed but nonetheless skilled players.

It's just an idea that I would like to see. I'm not predicting it.

Not really on topic maybe, but I'd love to see Callaway, and a couple others offer a player sized CB more in the 32* range. It just seems like an easier number to bend both ways. With the amount of offset already in the XFCB, going stronger is tough. They really look better, and more like the previous X Forged, a little weak. And actually fly a little more in line with others at it too. XFCB was just a weird one for me this year.

It just seems like an easier number to bend both ways.

How weak or strong can irons be bent without the bounce change becoming a factor?
If it were a lot, Titleist wouldn't make both the T100 and T100S, right?

The more models the better.
It's just a matter of how many they'd be willing to offer if one of them came in four loft options as I suggested.

The two Callaway models referenced in the thread, I would guess, would both be competitors to the T100, the JPX 921 Tours,
and similar models above the GI level but not pure blades..

I would like to see one of these offered with old fashioned WEAKER lofts,
PLUS the two lofts that the T100s are offered in,
PLUS a 5/6º increment set for slower swing speed but nonetheless skilled players.

It's just an idea that I would like to see. I'm not predicting it.
I guess I just don’t see what that has to do with the thread which is simply comparing two irons from callaway.

that in mind, just bend them if you want different lofts. They don’t need to dump models to add in more lofts in the same head.

How weak or strong can irons be bent without the bounce change becoming a factor?
If it were a lot, Titleist wouldn't make both the T100 and T100S, right?
Sure they would. Golfers on average don’t willingly go out and alter their lofts. Titleist has presented that for them and surely golfers will be inclined to participate because many would do well to play stronger lofted clubs (as the trend confirms).

Not really on topic maybe, but I'd love to see Callaway, and a couple others offer a player sized CB more in the 32* range. It just seems like an easier number to bend both ways. With the amount of offset already in the XFCB, going stronger is tough. They really look better, and more like the previous X Forged, a little weak. And actually fly a little more in line with others at it too. XFCB was just a weird one for me this year.
For some golfers I guess it’s tough. For others it’s a total non factor (including me). I have absolutely no relation to the challenges of offset (aside from the clubs that basically have onset because they are terrifying haha)

Back