Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Golf Balls

We have a new shop that is offering a $40 ball fitting and they waive the fee if you by a dozen balls they fit you into. I am going to take my current ball (e12 contact/BRX) and compare to Prov1 that I fitted in at a titleist demo and the CSXLS. I need to know if it was my imagination that the CSXLS was long for me off the tee but a little wayward off irons. I hope it was just some off days with the irons because I remember these fondly and am almost through enough balls to buy some more.

golf balls are hard for me to know if what I am feeling is real or just that day, but I remember absolutely loving this ball off the tee.

this shop mostly apecializes in apparel and custom carts; the only balls I saw available were titleist and Callaway, so worst case I pay the $40 for some sim time and stick with my current balls. I will also take some others I have in the garage: snell mtbx black, prior gen srixon xv, vice pro. They had every chrome soft there and all titleist if I want to look at ERC/AVX.

That's awesome of the pro-shop. I wish some of ours would do that.

Oh we're still on this hahahaha

LS over regular Chrome Soft though? Interesting banter awaits us.
I will be curious about this test, because lower spin off the tee will be similar, but in hte irons, it might rise a bit for the LS.
It will be fun to follow though.

Oh we're still on this hahahaha

LS over regular Chrome Soft though? Interesting banter awaits us.

Speaking from my fitting using launch monitor data and comparing the 3 CS golf balls. I will not speak to how it compared to others. These are just my results. Forgive my lengthy post.

My SS is between 110 and 115.

Driver
1. There was a 5 yard difference between each ball CS add 5 yds CS X LS add 5 yds CS X
2. Apex height went from CS highest, CS X LS lower and CS X lowest
3. Spin CS X highest CS X LS about 200 lower (avg) CS about 150 lower than CS X LS
4. Dispersion CS and CS X LS very similar CS X wider (left to right)
5. softness CS softest then CS X, then X LS

Irons
1. Same as above but the spin number reduction changed about another 100RPM
2. CS Checked and rolled with 7 iron, CS X checked and rolled backwards past pitch, CS X LS Checked and stopped or rolled back a little.

Wedges
Same as irons.
1. The CS X LS definitely felt VERY firm with wedges
2. More of a click with CS X and CS X LS off wedge

Putter
1. CS duller thud, CS X and CS X LS more of a click off face
2. Could be just a feel, but I felt like the CS X and CS X LS traveled a little longer for the "same stroke".

In all instances I am not a professional, nor a scratch golfer. These were relative trends from testing.

When I went to the practice facility and used all the balls to see how they interacted with 50yd wedge play that's where it was most appreciable in a difference.

A great ball fitting must be done side by side and comparing the results of 1 ball to another from shot to shot. I was amazed at the difference to be honest.

Speaking from my fitting using launch monitor data and comparing the 3 CS golf balls. I will not speak to how it compared to others. These are just my results. Forgive my lengthy post.

My SS is between 110 and 115.

Driver
1. There was a 5 yard difference between each ball CS add 5 yds CS X LS add 5 yds CS X
2. Apex height went from CS highest, CS X LS lower and CS X lowest
3. Spin CS X highest CS X LS about 200 lower (avg) CS about 150 lower than CS X LS
4. Dispersion CS and CS X LS very similar CS X wider (left to right)
5. softness CS softest then CS X, then X LS

Irons
1. Same as above but the spin number reduction changed about another 100RPM
2. CS Checked and rolled with 7 iron, CS X checked and rolled backwards past pitch, CS X LS Checked and stopped or rolled back a little.

Wedges
Same as irons.
1. The CS X LS definitely felt VERY firm with wedges
2. More of a click with CS X and CS X LS off wedge

Putter
1. CS duller thud, CS X and CS X LS more of a click off face
2. Could be just a feel, but I felt like the CS X and CS X LS traveled a little longer for the "same stroke".

In all instances I am not a professional, nor a scratch golfer. These were relative trends from testing.

When I went to the practice facility and used all the balls to see how they interacted with 50yd wedge play that's where it was most appreciable in a difference.

A great ball fitting must be done side by side and comparing the results of 1 ball to another from shot to shot. I was amazed at the difference to be honest.
I am a huge fan of the CSX. When I first tried the CSX LS I thought it felt too hard. My game was a mess at that point and I went back to what I knew I liked. Locally, Callaway balls are extremely difficult to find. So, when I went into the shop for some more CSX, all I could get was the LS. So, I decided to give them another try. Still found them to be firmer than the CSX but my results were pretty damn good. I agree with what you were seeing especially in irons. I am a low spin iron guy so the CS just wasn't consistent enough in carry distance as I can struggle to generate enough spin out of the cabbage. The LS seems to be a happy medium for me. If someone put a gun to my head and made me choose, it would still be CSX. But the LS is no slouch. A little longer off the tee which I don't mind at all haha.

I am a huge fan of the CSX. When I first tried the CSX LS I thought it felt too hard. My game was a mess at that point and I went back to what I knew I liked. Locally, Callaway balls are extremely difficult to find. So, when I went into the shop for some more CSX, all I could get was the LS. So, I decided to give them another try. Still found them to be firmer than the CSX but my results were pretty damn good. I agree with what you were seeing especially in irons. I am a low spin iron guy so the CS just wasn't consistent enough in carry distance as I can struggle to generate enough spin out of the cabbage. The LS seems to be a happy medium for me. If someone put a gun to my head and made me choose, it would still be CSX. But the LS is no slouch. A little longer off the tee which I don't mind at all haha.

Great feedback! It is definitely more firm and spins more than the CS. We will see how it does this winter when I get to play. Will it be the same feel as it is now, or will it feel like I am hitting a piece of river gravel.... I plan to keep a few in my pocket when I play to keep them warm :);););)

I have never had a ball fitting but am scheduled for one today. Looking forward to trying all of the CS balls and Titleist to see what fits me best. My only feedback on golf balls are just what I think I see on the course.

I have thoughts on the Callaway line going into the fitting from what I see on the course and wonder if I am correct.

Great feedback! It is definitely more firm and spins more than the CS. We will see how it does this winter when I get to play. Will it be the same feel as it is now, or will it feel like I am hitting a piece of river gravel.... I plan to keep a few in my pocket when I play to keep them warm :);););)
Haha, I meant firm relative to the others. Shouldn’t quite Feel like River rock haha.

I have never had a ball fitting but am scheduled for one today. Looking forward to trying all of the CS balls and Titleist to see what fits me best. My only feedback on golf balls are just what I think I see on the course.

I have thoughts on the Callaway line going into the fitting from what I see on the course and wonder if I am correct.

Enjoy the fitting! Seeing the side by side was very eye opening for me. I tried 6 different golf balls + the CS family. Normally wouldn't have been 9 total, but I gave the fitter a little extra for more time with them so I could gain a better understanding of the ball fitting process and how other balls stacked up vs my perceptions.

Enjoy the fitting! Seeing the side by side was very eye opening for me. I tried 6 different golf balls + the CS family. Normally wouldn't have been 9 total, but I gave the fitter a little extra for more time with them so I could gain a better understanding of the ball fitting process and how other balls stacked up vs my perceptions.

So the real q is, what will you be playing this season? :D

So the real q is, what will you be playing this season? :D

I'm playing the Callaway CS X LS! 100% love the ball and the fitter agreed it was best for my atrocious golf game. 🤣🤣🤣

A friend and I went through the process together. Neither of us are great at golf.

What we learned was this, even amateurs should be fit for a golf ball because there is a VERY high probability it's not the ball that's best for your game your scores and wallet will reflect it.

Don't box yourself in to what marketers tell you, you might be surprised what ball actually works for you.

Had the CSX-LS in play on Saturday in cold, wet conditions and it held up well. I need that extra bit off the tee on days when drives are plugging in the fairway with no roll out

@oumagic how'd the fitting go?

I have a brand spanking new dozen ChromeSoft X LS Triple Track courtesy of the crew from The Dream Foursomes Experience. I've played CS and CSX but the LS will be a new adventure for me. I'm pretty stoked to get them out on course.

Thanks!! @V14_Heels @Carolina Dundee @jfox789 @Tenputt @Bernoulli @BigDill

This ball is really growing on me. Can’t wait to hear what how they’re planning to improve the durability of the cover! Only downside I’ve really found

I've had really good success with the standard chromesoft and the x-ls. I can't wait to try the next lineup!!

I did a little unscientific test today between the Chrome Soft X and the XLS. I played my first 4 holes with the CSX and the next 12 or so holes (donated to the golf gods via a water hazard) with the XLS.
- both fee pretty similar off the tee but the CSX felt les firm to me
- distance off the tee appeared to be the same and I noticed I was getting more rollout with the CSX LS
- off the irons similar to the tee in terms of feel. Didn’t notice any big jumps in distance gains and the main standout was the XLS didn’t have the spin I was used to seeing from the CSX.
- for some reason I felt the XLS was a lot more firmer off the wedges and putter. Again purely subjective, but based on my last year or so with the CSX,I noticed the difference.

I think overall if I had no choice I would put the XLS in play and be ok, but for me the CSX just checks all the boxes and the spin into and around the greens is what separates these two. If there is a golfer that doesn’t need the spin help like I do, then the CSX LS is probably a better fit.

Last edited:
@mikeg_74 this is very similar to how I felt with the X vs the X LS. I don't need the spin, so the X was too much for me. The X LS is a higher compression ball compared to the X so it feels more firm on the wedge and clicky and firm on the putter and it definitely rolls longer for the same stroke which helped me too.

I really enjoyed your review! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Last edited:
@mikeg_74 did you notice a higher ball flight with the X LS vs the X? It seemed to me that the X had a more piercing trajectory than the X LS.

Back