Cobalt Q6 Laser Rangefinder Review

Used the Cobalt a lot over the weekend and it was spot on on some decent elevations. Two more things that worked extremely well was the switch being able to turn down to the lowest setting to avoid a heavy glow when it was really dark on 18, and the waterproof feature and being able to still use with rain.

I’ve now made about 20-25 people use mine, AFTER they use theirs.

Three things happen every time:

1) The clarity comparatively breaks their minds. They cannot get over the magnification and crystal clear nature of it compared to even their top line Bushnell’s.

2) It’s fast.

3) The knob and switch combo are ingenious.

I agree on all three. This is the best rangefinder I’ve ever worked with. Truly.

I’ve been dismissing this thread and didn’t even read more than a handful of posts as I had never heard of the Cobalt brand and assumed it was just another Chinese made rangefinder with questionable durability/quality at a lower price. Part of my apathy comes from the fact that I also own a couple of GX3i3 Leupolds and two Nikons for my kids all less than a few years old so I’m not in the market for a rangefinder.

I finally got my hands on a Cobalt Q6 on the course yesterday and I couldn’t have been more wrong. Apologies to @JB and @Jman. :) The optics are a big step up from Bushnell rangefinders and also a lot better than my go to the last 10 years, Leupold. Those who have only looked through a Bushnell or the other common golf rangefinder brands will certainly be wowed by the optics of the Q6 and the reason is the company behind the optics. Last night I did more research and immediately found that the Cobalt brand is the synergy between two companies: Maven optics and Laser Technology Inc. I’m very familiar with Maven as they are a brand known by many hunters for their top quality Japanese made optics in their binoculars and spotting scopes. They offer high end optics at less than premium prices and IMO, offer more bang for the buck whether your spending $350 or $1000 on binoculars. I own their middle of line $1,000 B2 binoculars and they rival other brands that cost twice as much. The other company LTI, has already been discussed here and let’s just say their history, reputation, patents, etc. are unrivaled.

I’m super excited that we finally can buy super high quality optics in a golf rangefinder combined with laser technology from the leader in the industry. This has never been offered before so I see the Cobalt as a game changer that hopefully will force Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, and others to up their game as I think a lot of golfers want the best when it comes to anything golf related. It’s like getting an S Class Mercedes for the price of a C class, and so far we’ve only been offered a C class, lol. Honestly this rangefinder should cost at least $650 for the step up in optical quality and the fact that it’s manufactured in Japan, not China or Indonesia. I can’t comment on the features as I haven’t had enough time with one but everything I read here tells me the feature set is as good as anything on the market and with the wheel, the Q6 is easier to use.

For you hunters out there, I just ordered the Maven brand hunting version of the Q6 which will also do everything I need on the golf course. The case isn’t included($20 extra), but it looks like a better case than the Q6 case.

Here’s the link for you hunters and I like the orange but it comes in all black as well.:) I’ll likely be the only one on the golf course with a Maven branded rangefinder, lol.

7EF0AFC9-06E2-4B61-B874-466EB78EAAA2.jpeg

I’ve been dismissing this thread and didn’t even read more than a handful of posts as I had never heard of the Cobalt brand and assumed it was just another Chinese made rangefinder with questionable durability/quality at a lower price. Part of my apathy comes from the fact that I also own a couple of GX3i3 Leupolds and two Nikons for my kids all less than a few years old so I’m not in the market for a rangefinder.

I finally got my hands on a Cobalt Q6 on the course yesterday and I couldn’t have been more wrong. Apologies to @JB and @Jman. :) The optics are a big step up from Bushnell rangefinders and also a lot better than my go to the last 10 years, Leupold. Those who have only looked through a Bushnell or the other common golf rangefinder brands will certainly be wowed by the optics of the Q6 and the reason is the company behind the optics. Last night I did more research and immediately found that the Cobalt brand is the synergy between two companies: Maven optics and Laser Technology Inc. I’m very familiar with Maven as they are a brand known by many hunters for their top quality Japanese made optics in their binoculars and spotting scopes. They offer high end optics at less than premium prices and IMO, offer more bang for the buck whether your spending $350 or $1000 on binoculars. I own their middle of line $1,000 B2 binoculars and they rival other brands that cost twice as much. The other company LTI, has already been discussed here and let’s just say their history, reputation, patents, etc. are unrivaled.

I’m super excited that we finally can buy super high quality optics in a golf rangefinder combined with laser technology from the leader in the industry. This has never been offered before so I see the Cobalt as a game changer that hopefully will force Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, and others to up their game as I think a lot of golfers want the best when it comes to anything golf related. It’s like getting an S Class Mercedes for the price of a C class, and so far we’ve only been offered a C class, lol. Honestly this rangefinder should cost at least $650 for the step up in optical quality and the fact that it’s manufactured in Japan, not China or Indonesia. I can’t comment on the features as I haven’t had enough time with one but everything I read here tells me the feature set is as good as anything on the market and with the wheel, the Q6 is easier to use.

For you hunters out there, I just ordered the Maven brand hunting version of the Q6 which will also do everything I need on the golf course. The case isn’t included($20 extra), but it looks like a better case than the Q6 case.

Here’s the link for you hunters and I like the orange but it comes in all black as well.:) I’ll likely be the only one on the golf course with a Maven branded rangefinder, lol.

View attachment 9032659
You should listen to @Canadan and Cobalt on Off Course, they tell the story of the brand and it’s awesome.

I played a round with @brians today and we shared use of his Cobalt Rangefinder. Right away the thing I noticed compared to my Bushnell V4 is how heavy it is. It’s definitely got some weight to it. Second thing I noticed was that it is bigger in size in comparison to the Bushnell. Upon using it I was impressed with how clear it was and I also liked larger size spot through the display that you hit the flag with. My Bushnell just has a small dot and sometimes in different weather conditions it can be harder to get it to pick up the flag. Had no problems getting a reading all day. It seemed to me that the Bushnell gave me a faster reading but that could just be due to my familiarity it. I like the ease at which you can switch between the different features. Way easier than on the Bushnell. It comes with a nice case that will keep it safe while tucked away between rounds. All in all a nice product but I will admit that I was shocked when he told me what they retail value was. For some reason I was thinking it was an entry level rangefinder and not one priced at the high end. A solid rangefinder but it didn’t blow me away and didn’t give me much more than I could get with a more affordable model.

I played a round with @brians today and we shared use of his Cobalt Rangefinder. Right away the thing I noticed compared to my Bushnell V4 is how heavy it is. It’s definitely got some weight to it. Second thing I noticed was that it is bigger in size in comparison to the Bushnell. Upon using it I was impressed with how clear it was and I also liked larger size spot through the display that you hit the flag with. My Bushnell just has a small dot and sometimes in different weather conditions it can be harder to get it to pick up the flag. Had no problems getting a reading all day. It seemed to me that the Bushnell gave me a faster reading but that could just be due to my familiarity it. I like the ease at which you can switch between the different features. Way easier than on the Bushnell. It comes with a nice case that will keep it safe while tucked away between rounds. All in all a nice product but I will admit that I was shocked when he told me what they retail value was. For some reason I was thinking it was an entry level rangefinder and not one priced at the high end. A solid rangefinder but it didn’t blow me away and didn’t give me much more than I could get with a more affordable model.
I’ve still NEVER seen optics like these in any range finders. It’s incredibly.

So, as mentioned in my previous review, I took this to a familiar course for the first time. There were four of us in carts yesterday on a gorgeous day. We decided we were going to play match play cart vs cart. Stakes were high. Bragging rights! Our cart had a combined age of 98. Their cart 57.
We had a good start taking the first hole. Then the holes started getting tough. A short par 4 which the youngins’ reached in one. The rangefinder works incredibly well in this weather. Quick simple and good on our old eyes ( again, a bright orange/red square and huge bright numbers are all that clutter the screen ). We then proceeded to lose the next four holes as well.
It worked well for us on the doglegs that followed. One hole was locking in on a tree and the other a bunker. I asked the other cart if we could use the slope switch on this device. They chuckled and said “sure, whatever you guys need”.
The entire reason I wanted to play this course with slope was coming up!!
A 122 yard ridiculous uphill. Used the Q6 to lock in on the pin. 140! I told our opponents that it was playing to 140. They said “it’s ok, I hit my clubs high so it should be covered”. Both of them hit wedges. Far and high but short. I dropped to an 8 iron. I’ve never considered dropping that far. Landed at the verrry front of the green. But made it. My cart mate dropped down as well and hit it close. We both parred the home. To take it. Seems like a small deal, but I’ve always guessed. It was nice to KNOW! Confidence soared from then on. We scraped our way back to end up 1 down by the end of the day.
Thoughts: the price is high. It is heavy. I can see where a casual golfer who owns a rangefinder is fine with theirs. Line up your target and fire away. Simple concept and some are pocket sized.
But the added slope feature, easy brightness knob ( the bright screen will age well with your eyes ) upgrade not needed interface, and LIFETIME warranty makes this super cost effective for any golfer without one. Seriously, spend once and have one golf thing that won’t cost you again. Probably the only thing. ***disclaimer: bragging rights victories not guaranteed

Reactions: JB
Little bit of a delayed review, been crazy week with Southwest delays and work travel. Got the Q6 out on Monday in what I can only describe as the perfect golf day. Bright blue skies, low mid 60's, and no one in front of us on the course. The course was Oak Hills, a nice little semi-private course about 30 mins north of Nashville. As the name implies the course is built into rolling hills with some decent elevation change throughout the course. Not as extreme as the previous time out but still a good chance to test out the slope function.

Right off the bat the ability to change the brightness on the fly was very helpful. The first hole had us playing into the rising sun and with just a quick turn of the dial the optics were visible and locked on the flag. The topography of the course presented an interesting challenge soon after as our position off the tee had us only able to see the very top of the flag as we set up in the fairway. This is the only time that I had to work to get the Q6 locked on to the flag, but with a just a little focus and steadying my hand it quickly locked on the pin.

My playing partner has been playing this course for almost 50 years. We made a game of him calling yardages from his gut and me shooting them for comparison. I'll just say he knows that course really well.

So far I have not found anything on the Q6 that is not exceptional. It has really changed how I approach my game. I am now learning what my true yardages are when shooting in to the green. This culminated on a short par 3, all carry, over water. There is a retaining wall surrounding the back side of the green that is taller than the pin. The Q6 locked on the pin quickly without bouncing between the pin and retaining wall. Pulled the needed club and dropped the ball to within 3 feet. One of those that makes you come back.

It has been so much fun reviewing this rangefinder. I can not thank @JB and crew enough for this opportunity.

This one blew some minds with its clarity at the Morgan Cup this past week.

SO FREAKING GOOD. And I also love the weight.

I picked up and used @Jman ‘s at TPC and wow the optics were crisp as hell! This thing has some weight to it too, feels like a solid piece of equipment where some other products feel like nothing

I picked up and used @Jman ‘s at TPC and wow the optics were crisp as hell! This thing has some weight to it too, feels like a solid piece of equipment where some other products feel like nothing
Man, I think that’s the best way of putting it ever. It feels like something of high quality, not cheap, at all.

And I knew the optics would knock your socks off.

This one blew some minds with its clarity at the Morgan Cup this past week.

SO FREAKING GOOD. And I also love the weight.
I’ve taken it out a few times in heavy rain. The solid feel continues with the no slip grip as well. As a walker that plays in ridiculous weather, it’s a huge plus.

I’ve used this fairly regularly (2-3 times a week) on course and the range and haven’t had any issues with the battery failing that I had previously worried about. The whole unit is really quite impressive in that it does everything great from optics, brightness to your preference, accuracy, and speed. I’ve used the unit in some poor situations intentionally to see how it would react whether it be rain, direct sun or barely visible light and it is able to function how one could hope for. The SmartSwitch is a incredibly easy feature to use even taking it straight out of the box and ignoring the instructions. I keep coming back to the ability to adjust the brightness either person or environment dependent as it really makes this unit stand out, along with the red/orange readout that is much easier to pick out of the background than the typical black displays. I’m really pleased with my purchase and feeling like I got my money’s worth in a great product that is backed by easily the best warranty I’ve seen on rangefinders. Any requests or questions feel free to ask and I’ll try to help if I can.

Last rangefinder didn't work out so a return is underway. I think I'm done with combo options and I'm going to stick with laser rangefinders that are good at being lasers. Hoping to order a Q6 slope in the next week or so.

Last rangefinder didn't work out so a return is underway. I think I'm done with combo options and I'm going to stick with laser rangefinders that are good at being lasers. Hoping to order a Q6 slope in the next week or so.
Best decision you can make! The unit is solid and no need to worry about defects with the warranty. The optics will be the most noticeable thing instantly for you.

Best decision you can make! The unit is solid and no need to worry about defects with the warranty. The optics will be the most noticeable thing instantly for you.
The optics are very good and beats anything I have used so far. I tested Cody's against the gogo I am currently using on the Ohio trip and distances were very close. However, the Q6 lens is very nice and CLEAR.

If there is one thing the Q6 is good at being, it is a laser. Everything else is fantastic too but the optics and and laser are impressive. I do not think you will be disappointed.

This rangefinder is the best I’ve ever used. Ever. Any brand.

The optics are second to none. The speed is stellar, how easy it is to adjust brightness on gloomy or bright sunny days is under talked about, and there’s ample heft to it.

Literally all I want for it is a magnetic holder. I wish they’d create one.

The optics are second to none. The speed is stellar, how easy it is to adjust brightness on gloomy or bright sunny days is under talked about, and there’s ample heft to it.

I know you walk alot, but if you have ridden in a cart can you shoot the pin with the windshield closed.

with as many rangefinders I know you've had come through, that speaks volumes.

I attempted to find a discount code ... anywhere.:unsure:

I attempted to find a discount code ... anywhere.:unsure:
It’s worth every cent. Only rangefinder I can say that about at full price.

I know you walk alot, but if you have ridden in a cart can you shoot the pin with the windshield closed.
I didn’t have any issue with that yesterday.

It’s worth every cent. Only rangefinder I can say that about at full price.

Only thing stopping me is that I have the T8 watch and when I don't leave it at home, I'm using the mini-Nikon that fits in my back pocket. :D Don't need a magnetic case when it fits back there.

But it's only a matter of time - I miss the jolt and the optics are intriguing.

I agree with you. Mine arrived earlier this week. It's literally just a laser rangefinder, but it does it better than anything else I've used. Build quality is superb and it feels amazing in hand. It's a little heavier, but with my big hands, I love that. Also makes it feel more stable at longer distances. I don't need the magnet because I never use it anyway. That said, the only thing that could improve this is front, back, and middle GPS readings. The optics are FANTASTIC. Sharp as a tack. Adjustment is seriously easy. It feels like Apple made this device. :ROFLMAO:

Back