JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in April, we reviewed the new Edel wedges. Premium craftsmanship, but more than “just a wedge”. The ability to manipulate weight in the back of the product to match your game moved to the forefront of the discussion.

Our testing showed it not only worked as described, but possibly better with every aspect of wedge performance exceeding performance with the right fit of placement. Lots of questions came in about those weights, so we asked Chris Koske from Edel to come to the THP Tech Studio and walk you through what they are and how they work.

In the video above, we walk you through the tech specs of the weights and then explain who might benefit from weight placement in certain spots. And most importantly, how changing the weight might alter performance.

Continue reading...

Amazing what a 6g difference between the weights can do to to different types of golfers.

Grander continuum is absolutely my phrase of the day.

Based upon my swing I should end up being a weight in the back kind of golfer, good to know for the next time I replace some wedges.

Great in depth discussion on this one, thoroughly enjoyed the discussion of weight placement for swing types.

Great content and explanations. Definitely learned some things!

Very useful video. I’ve been gaming mine in the neutral/middle position. But now I feel like maybe I should have given the heel option more of a chance. I don’t miss often with this wedge but when I do it’s always right. Maybe moving the weight to the heel will help me close the face better.

I’ve got some more testing to do this off-season.

• Admin
Where do you think you would be?
I’m leaning towards the toe as I’m more of a sweeper of the ball. Out of curiosity the weights of 2’s and a 6 work on std length clubs does this increase on the shorter builds and does a much longer wedge require more finite adjustments than a shorter one?

• Admin
I’m leaning towards the toe as I’m more of a sweeper of the ball. Out of curiosity the weights of 2’s and a 6 work on std length clubs does this increase on the shorter builds and does a much longer wedge require more finite adjustments than a shorter one?
Thats a good question and I will ask them today.

I really like Koske's breakdown here. 12 grams of moveable weight in a wedge is kind of crazy in my mind, but as THP testing has shown, it works.

Also, I like the conversation he goes into on how fitting for these wedges could be a precursor to fitting golfers down throughout the rest of the bag.

Also, I like the conversation he goes into on how fitting for these wedges could be a precursor to fitting golfers down throughout the rest of the bag.
I found that part extremely interesting

I found that part extremely interesting

And it really makes some sense in my mind to look at it that way. We've had plenty of threads about filling out your bag, do you go top to bottom or bottom to top, but I don't think anyone has gone to this extent. How he likens it back to Monty's old irons makes some sense.

Reactions: JB
I always drew my wedges with a lower stance (whether this was a full swing, 3/4, 1/2, etc). I even drew my longer pitch shots. Martin Hall recommended a more upright stance and holding the club more upright on pitch shots. This has helped me a ton. I still have a little draw flight on my wedges (if I open my stance too much akin to a flop shot I tend to have toe shots and or dig too much).

If I were in an Edel wedge, I'd probably have more weight towards the toe.

I never really thought about perimeter weighting on wedges in this way. I always looked into the internals and where the club design placed weight for forgiveness.

I've never done a true wedge fitting, and if I do, these will be on the list to try.

This is a great breakdown of weighting in wedges and the impact is can have on the player. It’s actually really eye opening.

I ❤ this video. A wedge has always just been a wedge but a wedge with this adjustability really makes you wonder if you could benefit from something like this.

I ❤ this video. A wedge has always just been a wedge but a wedge with this adjustability really makes you wonder if you could benefit from something like this.
I think you would like these a lot.

These are great looking and those weights would eliminate the use of ugly lead tape right??

These are great looking and those weights would eliminate the use of ugly lead tape right??
We actually had a post about this a couple of days ago on Instagram. Chris Koske chimed in and talked about how that is one area where these wedges just shine.

We actually had a post about this a couple of days ago on Instagram. Chris Koske chimed in and talked about how that is one area where these wedges just shine.
Koske certainly knows his stuff. I may have to give these a try the could be fun

I need to get in there and watch the video.

If it falls under any element of what I already know about the subtle variances that come from swing match weighting tech I'll be all in. It's legit.

All of our fitting systems come with 2g, 4g, 6g, 8g and 10g weights so people can fit to a specific swing weight if needed. You can go nuts trying all of the weights. Stock is two 2's and an 8 gram weight.

And it really makes some sense in my mind to look at it that way. We've had plenty of threads about filling out your bag, do you go top to bottom or bottom to top, but I don't think anyone has gone to this extent. How he likens it back to Monty's old irons makes some sense.

Look at Rocco, Annika, Monty...all pickers of the ball, all slightly stronger right hand grips. All saw success with irons that were a little longer and had less hosel weight. I could never hit the PM Grind on full shots. I had no idea why I struggled so badly until I was able to weight these wedges and realize I'm not a toe weight guy. It's pretty wild. We're not moving the CG much, but you can absolutely feel it.

Whats an under golfer? I've never heard that term before

Back