First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Some end of season thoughts on my Apex Pros now that the outdoor season is over and indoor league starts soon.

Looks - Besides the TCB's, I think these may be my favorite looking iron of all time. Only thing that would make them better is a black/smoke finish like the previous Apex line had. For real, these things are freaking stunning. The tungsten stamp doesn't bother me a bit. I also haven't had finish issues that others have had though I couldn't care less if the finish did wear. These things are hitting dirt, rocks, grass, sand. They aren't going to stay perfect. Looking at the actual shape, I see offset in clubs and it doesn't bother me. What can get in my head is too thin or too thick of a top line. These are right in my wheel house of looking down and knowing that you have to hit it well to make the club work but have just enough to them that you have confidence. I came from the Cobra Forged TECs and those top lines were just the tiniest bit too thick. Losing that little bit of top line here was huge for the looks for me.

Feel/Sound - I've never been someone who looks for a certain sound or can't stand a more techy sound. I've heard others describe these as "clicky" but I don't hear them that way. I would describe them as "full". Like you know you caught one dead nuts by the full sound. It's not muted, its not high pitched, it's just a strong full "thwack". Huge fan. Speaking on feel, they are SOFT. Maybe not full on MB feel but these feel gooooood. I mention a few posts up how even in the colder weather, these continued to be easy on the hands and felt soft with the ball coming off the face. In the summer these were addicting to hit. Couldn't be happier

Forgiveness - My thoughts here were there wasn't as much forgiveness as I needed when the swing was off. Meaning these don't do the work for you in regards to moving the ball forward. But they do everything they can. I mentioned about my Epic Speed in my season ending breakdown there, these still require you to strike the ball well (of course they do Chris they have Pro in the name). Obviously these aren't SGI irons so of course they require good contact. But they DID offer their share of forgiveness. Especially off the toe. I felt some shots come off of there, did a one hand finish, and saw the ball about 7-10 yards short of where I wanted it. That happened more than I'd care to admit. With as bad as some strikes off the toe felt, they still got out there a decent way.

Spin - The only thing I have to say here is that I did have trouble with these clubs in the wind. I'd hit what I felt was PURE, and the ball just kept ballooning. I know that's a ball related too but I struggled more in the wind this year than I did last year with the FTs. Other than that though, ball was hop and stop with everything from PW down to 5i most of the time. Obviously the 5 and 6 had some roll out but when I was able to hit the green with them, the ball wasn't far from the pitch mark which was awesome

Distance - This is one thing I was worried about when I saw my lofts were going to be about 3* less than the FTs from 5-8i and 2* with the 9i. Yes, yes loft is far from the lone determiner of distance but I was still a little concerned. But these things fly! I hit them just as far as my FTs with about a 2-4 yard variation at times. Hollow Body Distance iron confirmed even with the more traditional lofts. Now, there was about a three week stretch where no matter how the shot felt, my 9i was going the same or shorter than my PW. That had to be a swing issue though (what's new) because that's recently been figured out. But it was very weird

Overall, I couldn't be happier with these irons this year. While my game moved up and down throughout the season, these were consistent performers. And that's the key word here consistent. They kept me in rounds I had no right being in because of my tee struggles. Excited to get some final work with them in sim league this winter and put them head to head with whatever I come out of the Grandaddy with!

Last edited:
New TCBs and Apex UW in the bag for the weekend rotation. Can't wait to hit them.
IMG_1030.jpg

With me playing less often right now I've been playing a set of regular Apex with the MMTs in them and I've been having a ton of fun with them. I still have my mixed combo set and don't plan on moving them but the standards will probably stay in the bag here for a bit. If they release a smoke version of these, it'll be hard to stay away.

As my game took off this year and really improved, it has me wondering if I could have gamed the Pro's.
I absolutely adore the triple play combo, but the Apex Pro looks are still one of the most beautiful irons I have ever seen.

Gah these things are sexy as hell!
D9F2B0FA-450D-47B8-B15D-72869FFDCF70.jpeg

As my game took off this year and really improved, it has me wondering if I could have gamed the Pro's.
I absolutely adore the triple play combo, but the Apex Pro looks are still one of the most beautiful irons I have ever seen.
I'd bet a fair amount of money that you would have been just fine!

Can't wait to see what's comparable out there for us!!!!
if they can build on these (though I know they won't be Apex) it's going to be freaking incredible

Can't wait to see what's comparable out there for us!!!!

I see it somewhat likely you come home with a set of Apex Pros. The CF16 came out the year before and a lot of us ended up with those.

Or it could be something completely new.

Love seeing some Apex love after a day of playing them myself!

Took the TCBeauties today after a bunch of rounds mostly with others. They are just so good. Feel great even in the cold, handle the wet turf great, and the flights are just so easy to control. My wedge approach game was actually a little off today, so the TCB excellence really stood out on the card. On 9 TCB approach situations, 8 GIR (pulled the first one on hole #2), an eagle, 3 birdies, and 5 pars, with an average proximity of 19' 2" including the missed green.

TCBs..

The Apex Pro looks amazing. If I were in the market I'd have a hard time between these and the CB.

Love seeing some Apex love after a day of playing them myself!

Took the TCBeauties today after a bunch of rounds mostly with others. They are just so good. Feel great even in the cold, handle the wet turf great, and the flights are just so easy to control. My wedge approach game was actually a little off today, so the TCB excellence really stood out on the card. On 9 TCB approach situations, 8 GIR (pulled the first one on hole #2), an eagle, 3 birdies, and 5 pars, with an average proximity of 19' 2" including the missed green.

TCBs..

Hoping so badly that they have a LH set available that I can just try out while I'm down there. Those are some dream clubs for me. One day!!

Hoping so badly that they have a LH set available that I can just try out while I'm down there. Those are some dream clubs for me. One day!!

They are immensely satisfying.

Just listen to that sound. Mm. Music to my ears. 🙂 And kind of unique to them. So much control with great feel and some forgiveness. Even as a combo they're great. 👍

They are immensely satisfying.

Just listen to that sound. Mm. Music to my ears. 🙂 And kind of unique to them. So much control with great feel and some forgiveness. Even as a combo they're great. 👍

I didn’t play that on repeat like 20 times…I promise :LOL:

Took the Apex TCBs out for their maiden voyage and shot a 78. Love the sound and feel of these irons 🔥💥🔥. I was a little worried about them being "too much" club for me but was surprised how forgiving they are. Don't get me wrong...they'll let you know if you miss one. Going out again this morning for another round with them. I hope the honeymoon continues.

Took the Apex TCBs out for their maiden voyage and shot a 78. Love the sound and feel of these irons 🔥💥🔥. I was a little worried about them being "too much" club for me but was surprised how forgiving they are. Don't get me wrong...they'll let you know if you miss one. Going out again this morning for another round with them. I hope the honeymoon continues.
Awesome!! That's a great maiden voyage!

The TCBs being such a good fit for me really helped me out on a weird round today. My wedge game was a little off, which is rare, and disturbing, and I was forced to play a different driver shaft. The confidence in their fit and forgiveness on a near miss really kept me from worrying about anything and just plugging away at an eventual score. It's been like that a bunch of times this year during important rounds and is just such a great feeling. I really don't know how I'll ever prefer another CB.

After playing the standard Apex with the MMT 95s in them I think I'm sold. I love the Mixed combo set but these have been legit for me. Also longer, which is a little weird since its colder now than it's been all year. Trying to get out for a round in the 60s this week. May give the mixed combos another go but honestly at this point I'm digging the setup I have now so I may just run with it. At least until next year's releases start coming out. ;)

I don't know how Callaway is going to improve on these. I had several shots way out of the toe on Sunday which still got the green. The performance on my misses is fantastic..

I don't know how Callaway is going to improve on these. I had several shots way out of the toe on Sunday which still got the green. The performance on my misses is fantastic..
That's going to be a big ask for sure. Even on the Pros, the toe miss isn't hurt as much as it feels like it should be

Back