Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Holy goodness that’s a hammer. I don’t think I’m swinging mine that well. I seem to be leaking a bit more right with mine than I did with my SpeedZone tour 3W. I’m thinking it’s operator error, at least I hope so.

I may try to get mine on a monitor next week and see what the numbers tell me. I feel like I am getting good launch, which gives me hope.
I couldn’t have hit it any better than that swing… That’s the maximum I could get out of it on a perfect swing…

I was on CPO the other day and I bought Epic Speed 3&5 woods. I was surprised to see only 34 reviews. That’s shockingly low. Any thoughts on if/why these were these were poor selling clubs? They seem pretty good to me…

Last edited:
I was on CPO the other day and I bought Epic Speed 3&5 woods. I was surprised to see only 34 reviews. That’s shockingly low. Any thoughts on if/why these were these were poor selling clubs? They seem pretty good to me…
I very highly doubt they were poor selling clubs. 34 reviews on CPO about them I would argue is pretty good since the Epic's probably haven't been very available on there since they are "in season". You see more reviews on the Mav line since they were last year's club and more readily available. I wouldn't base their sales on how many reviews are on their preowned site

People pass on writing reviews most of the time. In terms of shape, size, forgiveness, and playability, Speed is towards the top of the list. Over the last year, I've gone from thinking I need big-headed fwys and have gotten better results from clubs that are more compact like the Speed and Honma TR21 - the Honma is a sleeper at $179 - compact yet easy to launch.

My sim2 ti 5wd has stock tensei blue 65R......

Probably mid-kick.

The Diamana in the SimTi was "made for". But the size and interaction with the turf kinda' sucked for me.

Max LS was scheduled for delivery today, but now pushed to Monday. Fingers crossed it still delivers since it shows it is "on the truck", but I sure was itching to get it in play tomorrow.

I very highly doubt they were poor selling clubs. 34 reviews on CPO about them I would argue is pretty good since the Epic's probably haven't been very available on there since they are "in season". You see more reviews on the Mav line since they were last year's club and more readily available. I wouldn't base their sales on how many reviews are on their preowned site
Yeah, but those are the exact same reviews used by their main site (callawaygolf) and retailers such as TGW. For example, TGW has 37 reviews. Those 34 and 3 of their own.
When you compare the Speed lineup to the Maverik and Rogues lines, the difference in numbers is startling.

People pass on writing reviews most of the time. In terms of shape, size, forgiveness, and playability, Speed is towards the top of the list. Over the last year, I've gone from thinking I need big-headed fwys and have gotten better results from clubs that are more compact like the Speed and Honma TR21 - the Honma is a sleeper at $179 - compact yet easy to launch.
I’m the same with FWs. I just tried the Maverik Max woods and can’t get used to the huge heads. I also seem to be a bit shorter with them for some reason. The Speeds have me back to where I was with my old Rogues (they were great clubs for me)

Yeah, but those are the exact same reviews used by their main site (callawaygolf) and retailers such as TGW. For example, TGW has 37 reviews. Those 34 and 3 of their own.
When you compare the Speed lineup to the Maverik and Rogues lines, the difference in numbers is startling.

I don't care as much for consumer reviews as I do for the guys here and others on YouTube or other sites that do this all the time. The Speed Reviews that I've read are great. Traded in the SimTi for a Speed 4 wood. Really impressive club with the right shaft - if you have a great head with a mismatched shaft, as you know, it's not the head.

I tried the Honma on a lark and it's as small or smaller than Speed - scalloped heel, very playable from rough, great sound, surprisingly forgiving and long - a real surprise. If you like a 7 wd, get the Honma - square to open, compact, but needs a higher kick shaft and one needs to go the next higher flex if on the cusp. If you need a compact 3 wd that gets up in the air - Honma. Not the Big LB, but the regular 3 wd. I need to start a thread when I decide on the Honma.

But Speed? Very pleasing club.

And you look at the reviews of the Mavrik and Rogue and how many of those were made when those were during their year of release? I went through them and at least 98 of the 139 were within the last 12 months for Mav on CPO (combined between the main site and pre owned). Which was either at the very end of the Mavs release year or after when it was easier to get one at a cheaper price.

All I’m saying is I wouldn’t base the sale strength of the Epic Speed line based on the amount of reviews on the product

And you look at the reviews of the Mavrik and Rogue and how many of those were made when those were during their year of release? I went through them and at least 98 of the 139 were within the last 12 months for Mav on CPO (combined between the main site and pre owned). Which was either at the very end of the Mavs release year or after when it was easier to get one at a cheaper price.

All I’m saying is I wouldn’t base the sale strength of the Epic Speed line based on the amount of reviews on the product
I’m not sure why you wouldn’t use the number of customer reviews as a barometer.
You’re saying the majority of people don’t buy them until Cally puts clubs on CPO? I don’t see that as a good thing. People can just as easily review them on the retail sites where they bought them, but they haven’t done that either.

I’m not sure why you wouldn’t use the number of customer reviews as a barometer.
You’re saying the majority of people don’t buy them until Cally puts clubs on CPO? I don’t see that as a good thing. People can just as easily review them on the retail sites where they bought them, but they haven’t done that either.
I’m not saying that at all. I’m saying using reviews from a past release, when I mentioned that 98 of 139 reviews for Mavrik, that you’re using as a barometer yourself, have been put on there in the last year. Which is well outside it’s release window that you’re criticizing the Speed for.

That means that 41 reviews of the Mav were either on CPO or the Callaway website while it was “in season” for that line. That’s pretty close to the 34 that you’re saying is a bad sign for the Speed line. I also gave Mav a full year of reviews. The Speed has only been out for 10 months since they didn’t release until the end of January

And yet you’re saying that the Mav and Rogue, which is three releases behind the Speed, sold well because of their review count. Of course they have more reviews. They’ve been out much longer. The Rogue has 658 reviews on CPO. By your argument, that sold better than the Mav and the Speed combined multiple times over

Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to point out that when comparing the number of reviews, the older clubs are always going to have more because they’ve had longer to get in hands of more consumers. Especially when people have a chance to pick them up for cheaper. It’s still money for Callaway since now they’ve sold the club twice lol

I’m not saying that at all. I’m saying using reviews from a past release, when I mentioned that 98 of 139 reviews for Mavrik, that you’re using as a barometer yourself, have been put on there in the last year. Which is well outside it’s release window that you’re criticizing the Speed for.

That means that 41 reviews of the Mav were either on CPO or the Callaway website while it was “in season” for that line. That’s pretty close to the 34 that you’re saying is a bad sign for the Speed line. I also gave Mav a full year of reviews. The Speed has only been out for 10 months since they didn’t release until the end of January

And yet you’re saying that the Mav and Rogue, which is three releases behind the Speed, sold well because of their review count. Of course they have more reviews. They’ve been out much longer. The Rogue has 658 reviews on CPO. By your argument, that sold better than the Mav and the Speed combined multiple times over

Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to point out that when comparing the number of reviews, the older clubs are always going to have more because they’ve had longer to get in hands of more consumers. Especially when people have a chance to pick them up for cheaper. It’s still money for Callaway since now they’ve sold the club twice lol
Ah, okay. I misunderstood what you were saying…

They aren't selling poorly.
I would have bet a large amount of money on that lol
I‘d be surprised if they were also. Like I said earlier, I think they’re very good, I own two of them.
I was just surprised to see how few people have reviewed them on Callaway and other retail sites. I’m going to go compare that to the other OEMs FWs that were released this year.

Edit TGW # of FW reviews

PING G425 205
Sim Max 140
TSi2. 40
Epic 38
Rad 12
The only conclusions I can come to here are either PING and Taylormade are killing it in FW sales, or that people who buy Titleist, Callaway and Cobra woods don’t review their purchases.

Last edited:
I‘d be surprised if they were also. Like I said earlier, I think they’re very good, I own two of them.
I was just surprised to see how few people have reviewed them on Callaway and other retail sites. I’m going to go compare that to the other OEMs FWs that were released this year.

Edit TGW # of FW reviews

PING G425 205
Sim Max 140
TSi2. 40
Epic 38
Rad 12
The only conclusions I can come to here are either PING and Taylormade are killing it in FW sales, or that people who buy Titleist, Callaway and Cobra woods don’t review their purchases.
The data you provided only points to one conclusion and it is limited to where the data came from. That conclusion is that more Ping G425and TM SIM Max have more reviews than TSi2, Epic and Rad on TGW.com. You can’t equate reviews to sales when anybody can write a review.

The data you provided only points to one conclusion and it is limited to where the data came from. That conclusion is that more Ping G425and TM SIM Max have more reviews than TSi2, Epic and Rad on TGW.com. You can’t equate reviews to sales when anybody can write a review.
How do you explain the small # of reviews on the Callaway site for them?
I play the Speed FWs and like them. I was just pointing out the discrepancy, and it is a big one. Like it or not.
I also think you’re bending over backwards to dismiss a correlation to sales, but whatever… 🤷‍♂️

How do you explain the small # of reviews on the Callaway site for them?
I play the Speed FWs and like them. I was just pointing out the discrepancy, and it is a big one. Like it or not.
I also think you’re bending over backwards to dismiss a correlation to sales, but whatever… 🤷‍♂️
Bending over backward? Not like your theory isn’t blind stab. Lol. Are people compelled to write reviews for products they buy? Is reviewing the club part of the purchase contract?

Go Google Callaway’s sales numbers for the past year versus other OEM’s for the same period. That’s an indication of how sales have gone not how many online reviews exist.

Bending over backward? Not like your theory isn’t blind stab. Lol. Are people compelled to write reviews for products they buy? Is reviewing the club part of the purchase contract?

Go Google Callaway’s sales numbers for the past year versus other OEM’s for the same period. That’s an indication of how sales have gone not how many online reviews exist.
I’m not talking about the quality of the club (I have two of them), or financial bottom line of a mega corporation like Callaway.
Blind stab? I’m asking about the seeming unpopularity (if that’s the right word) of ONE of their products based upon the surprisingly low number of reviews for the Speed FWs compared to those of the other OEMs’21 releases on both Callaway’s and retailers sites.
You’re intent on dismissing the possibility of them being a poor selling club entirely. It makes me wonder if you would still feel the same were it another product, by any other manufacturer (even if not golf related)? I’m going to guess no.

First round with the LS yesterday and it was a pretty decent day. Haven't been swinging any club great recently, so I can't say much about the center of the face, but I did notice more forgiveness low and on the toe compared to the Z785. Still getting used to the CB shaft as I have never been a big counterbalanced guy, but the maiden voyage was promising! I still had the occasional flare out to the left, but the driver didn't put me in a whole lot of trouble, which I have not been able to say recently.

I really like the epic max ls 9*. I have it paired to a ventus black 7s shaft. I like the feel and sound, and this setup is nicely consistent and forgiving for my needs. Distance is solid. This is a driver that almost disappears in my bag. I trust it and rely upon it without fanfare. I don't over think it or wonder what if. I can and will get all driver testing nuts over the winter as new releases happen, but on course I am not sure what else I would want.

I’m not talking about the quality of the club (I have two of them), or financial bottom line of a mega corporation like Callaway.
Blind stab? I’m asking about the seeming unpopularity (if that’s the right word) of ONE of their products based upon the surprisingly low number of reviews for the Speed FWs compared to those of the other OEMs’21 releases on both Callaway’s and retailers sites.
You’re intent on dismissing the possibility of them being a poor selling club entirely. It makes me wonder if you would still feel the same were it another product, by any other manufacturer (even if not golf related)? I’m going to guess no.
Based on the data you provided, there is no correlation at all between number of reviews on those retail sites and market share. None whatsoever actually.

Back