LIVE UPDATE THREAD Dream Foursomes with True Temper and Callaway Golf

Did you consider putting hazards in Keenan’s landing area to force a shorter club? Do you think taking away an opponent’s strength or playing to your strength is the better play? It could be fun to try out your strategy in a match where the hole winner chooses the next tee.
We did, but remember that it’s not always the easiest to do in practice. The first time we even saw the hole layout was when it popped up on the cart screen. So you are trying to update scores, pick a tee spot, plan your shot, etc. We could have spent at least 5 minutes just trying to plan the tee location.

Did you consider putting hazards in Keenan’s landing area to force a shorter club? Do you think taking away an opponent’s strength or playing to your strength is the better play? It could be fun to try out your strategy in a match where the hole winner chooses the next tee.

We learned very early that @Bernoulli and @JasonFinleyCG were deadly from 110-130 and kept that in mind.

Winner picks would have been a whole different ball game.

Exactly, a bit more distance on Par 3s and 4s. We played most par 4s under 350, and sometimes under 300. Keenan is a hammer for sure. I’m not a short knocker, but I am super inconsistent and just wasn’t getting off the tee very well at all. He was point and shoot.
That’s one thing I was absolutely impressed with back in 2019 when I was lucky enough to play with Keenan - his drives were seemingly automatic.

What shaft was he playing? Or is that a super secret item?

When we played, he had the Hulk shaft.

Really sweet prize!! A few of us went to the PGA Superstore after lunch before our flights to hit the hybrids.

I loved the Epic Hybrid. Thinking about the 2 turned down a degree to replace my 3 wood.

In anticipation of this event, I purchased new Callaway Apex irons and an X Forged driving iron and have been really impressed with the clubs, especially the dispersion. Way tighter than anything I have ever played. Can’t wait to get one of these in the bag too. Callaway is crushing it right now.
Day late but as someone who tested that exact club

We learned very early that @Bernoulli and @JasonFinleyCG were deadly from 110-130 and kept that in mind.

Winner picks would have been a whole different ball game.

Hmmm, good point. I better go with odds and evens. I just need to figure out a strategy to make the most out of ny choices. Now that handicap season is over I’m going to bring some THP fun to my rounds.

I’m not sure it would’ve mattered if you would’ve taken length off of Keenan to put a hazard in play. I mean he would’ve just gone 3 wood or driving iron both of which he hit well off the tee as well.

The play for Tenputt and BigDill was to put as many holes as they could at 400-425. And pull the par 3’s back past 170 because it hurt me really bad and put all the pressure on Keenan. We definitely used some of my shots on par 3’s and in shamble par 3’s are pretty important. If one group is putting and the other isn’t and one has pops…yikes.

I had the least length of anyone, and I don’t really have a shot beyond 170 and even 150-170 gets dicey. But they wouldn’t of really had anyway to know that having never played with me so you can only strategize so much.

I’m not sure it would’ve mattered if you would’ve taken length off of Keenan to put a hazard in play. I mean he would’ve just gone 3 wood or driving iron both of which he hit well off the tee as well.

The play for Tenputt and BigDill was to put as many holes as they could at 400-425. And pull the par 3’s back past 170 because it hurt me really bad and put all the pressure on Keenan. We definitely used some of my shots on par 3’s and in shamble par 3’s are pretty important. If one group is putting and the other isn’t and one has pops…yikes.

I had the least length of anyone, and I don’t really have a shot beyond 170 and even 150-170 gets dicey. But they wouldn’t of really had anyway to know that having never played with me so you can only strategize so much.

Sounds like this Keenan guy can just really golf his ball and the future strategy might be to play to your strengths and ignore (as much as you can) him dismantling the course. But watching that sounds like so much fun.

Whew, finally got all caught up. Between work and other threads I was a day and 6 pages behind. I have to say one of my favorite part of these events is reading the post event recaps. You guys really knocked it out of the park.

Sounds like this Keenan guy can just really golf his ball and the future strategy might be to play to your strengths and ignore (as much as you can) him dismantling the course. But watching that sounds like so much fun.
I think this is what I’d do as well. Just play to my team’s strengths.

Looking back, I think would could have done a bit more to strategize. But it was going to be tough for us no matter what. @Tenputt is a stick, but I was a bit uneven to start the match. On one hand, if we shortened up the hole, we gave Keenan a chance to drive the green. If we backed up, then I really had to drive the ball well or else we were basically giving up a stroke due to Keenan’s length. Putting and short game kept us in it. In retrospect, we should have just moved back on a few holes.

But to answer your question, we could have had more strategy. Having played the course now, I think we would be much better prepared given another opportunity.
I don’t know that I am a stick, but those are kind words. I honestly don’t know that we would have played it any differently, particularly going into the course blind.

Here is the deal for me. You and I balanced each other well in our match. Keenan himself said his ball striking was better than normal. We were sitting on the 18th tee tied. It is a 125 yard hole. Not one person in the foursome hit the green. We just happened to miss right.

Under the circumstances of a new course and never seen each other’s games, what more could you ask for than two have two shots to hit a green with a wedge and then make a putt to win the hole? Sometimes, you just have to shake the other side’s hand and say, “Well done,” particularly with the two sand shots that Keenan executed on 17 and 18.

I don’t know that I am a stick, but those are kind words. I honestly don’t know that we would have played it any differently, particularly going into the course blind.

Here is the deal for me. You and I balanced each other well in our match. Keenan himself said his ball striking was better than normal. We were sitting on the 18th tee tied. It is a 125 yard hole. Not one person in the foursome hit the green. We just happened to miss right.

Under the circumstances of a new course and never seen each other’s games, what more could you ask for than two have two shots to hit a green with a wedge and then make a putt to win the hole? Sometimes, you just have to shake the other side’s hand and say, “Well done,” particularly with the two sand shots that Keenan executed on 17 and 18.
I think that’s 100% right.

Yea he was good that day without a doubt, but TenPutt ain’t no slouch. And BigDill capitalized on his pops which I didn’t do as well. The match came down to 18 so…it’s not like the strategy we used dominated by any means whatsoever.

But we definitely used Keenan’s length in our strategy without question. And most importantly it was a lot of fun for both of us. I got to be confident and just go for an easy driver swing or iron and Keenan got to try to drive the green on like 6 holes. I’m assuming the normal yardage he plays…there’s probably very few par 4’s he gets to try and drive the green on, so it was just fun to play and watch.

As always, great perspective @Tenputt. Except that you’re definitely a skilled golfer. 👊

We did, but remember that it’s not always the easiest to do in practice. The first time we even saw the hole layout was when it popped up on the cart screen. So you are trying to update scores, pick a tee spot, plan your shot, etc. We could have spent at least 5 minutes just trying to plan the tee location.

Ya, @V14_Heels and I were talking about this before the match. Not sure how people don't spend 5-10 picking a tee before even hitting.

That is 100% spot on. Could have been anyone's match.

Yea it is really tough to decide on where to play from. Also decides on how you determine who picks the next hole. Could also make a strategy depending on how tight the hole is.

I swear @JasonFinleyCG had two up and downs that would have easily made the top 10 for ESPN. Wish we got them on video.

Oh goody! I am playing the 2nd coming of Phil in 3 1/2 weeks! :ROFLMAO:

Yea he was good that day without a doubt, but TenPutt ain’t no slouch. And BigDill capitalized on his pops which I didn’t do as well. The match came down to 18 so…it’s not like the strategy we used dominated by any means whatsoever.

But we definitely used Keenan’s length in our strategy without question. And most importantly it was a lot of fun for both of us. I got to be confident and just go for an easy driver swing or iron and Keenan got to try to drive the green on like 6 holes. I’m assuming the normal yardage he plays…there’s probably very few par 4’s he gets to try and drive the green on, so it was just fun to play and watch.

Okay so new line of questions. What’s your take on a Match Course type round? How did the fun meter differ between a set tee and a choose your teeing ground round?Following along, the idea was pretty cool. I don’t think I could completely move to something like that, but I like the idea of including a scatter round in the future to change things up.

All I can say is good luck and bring your best game!
There is a reason he 8&6d someone! I did post a 70 at Payne’s Valley this weekend after not playing for 17 days because of Covid.

There is a reason he 8&6d someone! I did post a 70 at Payne’s Valley this weekend after not playing for 17 days because of Covid.

So sorry to hear you had COVID. Glad you're recovered and that is some serious skill. Go get em and make sure to bring your best putter.

How was Payne's Valley? Looks like a dream. How hard is it to get on their right now?

Oh goody! I am playing the 2nd coming of Phil in 3 1/2 weeks! :ROFLMAO:
I didn't see him play, but based off of what jfox said he's a good golfer. No surprise here.

But listen, it's very simple...you just put up a Pick The Winner thread, everyone will pick him 956 to 21 like ours, and the pressure is back on him. Underdogs ain't got nothing to lose, it's the place to be, I'm telling you. ;) The strategy worked very well for at least 3 people on my team.

Ya, @V14_Heels and I were talking about this before the match. Not sure how people don't spend 5-10 picking a tee before even hitting.

That is 100% spot on. Could have been anyone's match.

I didn’t 🤷🏽‍♀️

I didn't see him play, but based off of what jfox said he's a good golfer. No surprise here.

But listen, it's very simple...you just put up a Pick The Winner thread, everyone will pick him 956 to 21 like ours, and the pressure is back on him. Underdogs ain't got nothing to lose, it's the place to be, I'm telling you. ;) The strategy worked very well for at least 3 people on my team.

I think @V14_Heels listened to me talk for at least an hour about how good his game is.

So funny and accurate on the thread! Nothing to lose baby!

Loving these side stories, insight into the strategy, and general banter guys!

Back