Winterizing Golf: Keeping Your Hands Warm

With the THP coupon, just $33.97 with free shipping. I'll take two!
Did you jump in? Mine will be charged and ready for Rivalry in January that’s for sure haha

I still have a couple hand warmers from my Boy Scout days. They run on lighter fluid.

Did you jump in? Mine will be charged and ready for Rivalry in January that’s for sure haha
That's a smart idea! I remember those frosty January mornings at Westhaven and Legends. It would take 2 or 3 holes to get the blood pumping. Yes, I jumped in. Thanks for the THP discount!

I still have a couple hand warmers from my Boy Scout days. They run on lighter fluid.

Those Zippo’s that run on lighter fluid get warmer and last a lot longer than any of the battery operated ones but may be overkill for a round of golf. They are still the preferred hand warmer for hunter and skiers around here when temps dip well below freezing. They also had some heated gloves that I almost bought for $99.

Costco had a Zippo battery hand warmer for $29.99 when I was there yesterday so I bought one on an impulse and will soon know how well it works. It’s the same one that sells on Amazon for $40-45.

E8EAEFC7-4E8E-44CF-AF21-568EB49FA546.jpeg

Those Zippo’s that run on lighter fluid get warmer and last a lot longer than any of the battery operated ones but may be overkill for a round of golf. They are still the preferred hand warmer for hunter and skiers around here when temps dip well below freezing.

Costco had a Zippo battery hand warmer for $29.99 when I was there yesterday so I bought one on an impulse and will soon know how well it works. It’s the same one that sells on Amazon for $40-45.

View attachment 9043930
I dont believe they act as a charger like this one either.
They are solid devices for a number of things, but I don't think they are as ideal for the golf round as the one featured.

I dont believe they act as a charger like this one either.
They are solid devices for a number of things, but I don't think they are as ideal for the golf round as the one featured.

Yes and who wants to mess with the fuel mess and cost at $2 per ounce when a battery one is more than enough for a round of golf played in temps of 45º. I’ll keep a hand warmer in my pocket with a few golf balls and rotate them into play on each tee. It’s not USGA approved but a 75º golf ball definitely feels better(and goes a bit farther) on those dozen morning rounds each year when there are frost delays. :)

I just cranked it up and let it sit at the 100% setting. Doesn't feel like it's about to scald my hand off, which is probably a healthy thing, but will be really interesting to see how effective it is in the elements, as the typical hot hand experience has them get quite hot when indoors.

Not heavy.. probably close to the weight of a phone, but a far bit thicker (yet smaller length and width).

One thing I'll definitely pay close attention to is the battery life. The package says 2.5 hours on a full charge, but I am hoping I can get a full round out of them on a lower setting. We'll see!

I just cranked it up and let it sit at the 100% setting. Doesn't feel like it's about to scald my hand off, which is probably a healthy thing, but will be really interesting to see how effective it is in the elements, as the typical hot hand experience has them get quite hot when indoors.

Not heavy.. probably close to the weight of a phone, but a far bit thicker (yet smaller length and width).

One thing I'll definitely pay close attention to is the battery life. The package says 2.5 hours on a full charge, but I am hoping I can get a full round out of them on a lower setting. We'll see!
In the article above I spoke about it, I get a full round with some off time when not in use

November is here and in many parts of the country that means playing through some pretty cold weather. There are a number of ways to combat that, including layers of apparel, cart heaters and of course the proper headwear.

One area that is often overlooked is keeping the hands warm and while disposable options exist, today we are going to focus on something that every cold weather golfer should be looking into. The Bag Boy Electronic Hand Warmer. At less than the cost of a dozen premium golf balls, this gadget works as advertised.

Continue reading...
Thats an interesting gadget but Id be skeptical of it considering its price, without knowing more about how it works and what kind of voltage it runs at. Battery life would be another question. If they claim 2.5 hours, 2.5 hours doing what? When you talk about battery life, its so situationally dependent and theres so many variables. Also, if its only 2.5 hours and you have a 4 hour round, its kind of worthless for the most part because its going to die halfway through your round.
Ive played golf in temps as low as the 20s and never really felt like I needed gloves to keep my hands warm but not everyone is from the upper midwest, so not many are as cold tolorant as I am.
Id probably be more inclinced to lean towards a small space heater plugged into the cart over one of these, I think.

Those Zippo’s that run on lighter fluid get warmer and last a lot longer than any of the battery operated ones but may be overkill for a round of golf. They are still the preferred hand warmer for hunter and skiers around here when temps dip well below freezing. They also had some heated gloves that I almost bought for $99.

View attachment 9043930

Really? I had one way back in the day and it stunk to high Heaven! As a bowhunter I used it once! Now, if you're rifle hunting I could see it. Still wouldn't like the smell though. I just use the Hot Hands disposables. Last time we played in was in the upper 40's when we teed off, and they worked just fine.

Thats an interesting gadget but Id be skeptical of it considering its price, without knowing more about how it works and what kind of voltage it runs at. Battery life would be another question. If they claim 2.5 hours, 2.5 hours doing what? When you talk about battery life, its so situationally dependent and theres so many variables. Also, if its only 2.5 hours and you have a 4 hour round, its kind of worthless for the most part because its going to die halfway through your round.
Ive played golf in temps as low as the 20s and never really felt like I needed gloves to keep my hands warm but not everyone is from the upper midwest, so not many are as cold tolorant as I am.
Id probably be more inclinced to lean towards a small space heater plugged into the cart over one of these, I think.
We addressed the battery in the article and how it gave us a full round with some simple timing of use

Two step process. Read thread. Order from Budget. Process successfully completed.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Can the unit be charged and heat at the same time or must the heat function be off to charge? Curious as to if the 2.5 hrs could be extended by leaving it plugged into a cart if equipped with a USB.

Can the unit be charged and heat at the same time or must the heat function be off to charge? Curious as to if the 2.5 hrs could be extended by leaving it plugged into a cart if equipped with a USB.
I haven’t tried this but will this week for you. I would assume so

Put it on my Christmas wishlist. Trying to not buy things between now and Christmas to make life easier on my wife.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
May have to look into the hand warmer options. What about the thing football players wear? With the electric warmer.

This is an awesome question.

I've just been sitting here messing with the unit.

With @JB noting the 'selective' heating, I decided to turn it on and crank it to full blast wondering whether it would really offer quick relief. I've gotta say, it heats it very quickly and cools just as quickly when you turn it off. It's nice to have that kind of control.

I've just been sitting here messing with the unit.

With @JB noting the 'selective' heating, I decided to turn it on and crank it to full blast wondering whether it would really offer quick relief. I've gotta say, it heats it very quickly and cools just as quickly when you turn it off. It's nice to have that kind of control.
Yeah when I tested, it would go hot and be great when needed, but when I was swinging I turned it off. It made it full round for me.

Just turned on the unit, then plugged it in. Looks like it automatically shuts off the heat and starts to charge.
Attempting to turn on the device while charging does not.

Can't imagine it'd be any different while in the cart.

Santa delivered a package early. He even charged them up for me.
20211118_214526.jpg

Back