PRGR Portable Launch Monitor Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Personal launch monitors have been a hot topic recently, and the market for these devices keeps on expanding. What is exciting about this developing market is that a vast price range allows golfers to choose a practice companion that fits their budget. When I mention price ranges, I’m talking about units that cost as little as $200 to top-of-the-line, tour-quality machines that run for $20,000. Today, we are looking at the PRGR Portable Launch Monitor, which competes in that competitive sub $500 market.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review and information. Reading that ball speed was pretty darn accurate is certainly helpful. For a device to give golfers the carry distance accuracy to help setup their bag is good. How often were the miss reads there? You mention on poorly struck shots, but was it all of them or just a handful?

Great review Dan, thank you very much. Well for $229 US it seems like a steal considering the accuracy of the unit. In addition you mention Dan that the unit was rolled out in conjunction with SuperSpeed Golf, so does this mean that it will record your swing speed using the super speed system? If so that’s another bonus because you don’t have to buy a swing speed radar separately which is very expensive.

Did you get a chance to compare it vs a GC2 indoors or another unit and if so, how did it fare?

Great review Dean! For less than $250, something that captures accurate ball speeds, and carry distances, it seems like it is a winner.

Add in that it is smaller than your iPhone and it becomes super easy to bring to the range or even on the course!

Looks like another good personal monitor that won't break the bank.

@ddec great write up for this one. Price is very reasonable & thumbs up on the feature of not needing to hit a ball to capture swing speed. I like the size of this compared to my SC300i.

Does this allow for exporting of data to an excel or is the data viewable on an app post range session?

• Staff
Good review and information. Reading that ball speed was pretty darn accurate is certainly helpful. For a device to give golfers the carry distance accuracy to help setup their bag is good. How often were the miss reads there? You mention on poorly struck shots, but was it all of them or just a handful?

I would say a handful. But it was the most consistent shot type that I was noticing something was off if that makes sense. But that calculation really was off on distance, everything else was more in line.
It was actually pretty impressive how close it was on ball speed nearly every swing.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
  • Staff
@ddec great write up for this one. Price is very reasonable & thumbs up on the feature of not needing to hit a ball to capture swing speed. I like the size of this compared to my SC300i.

Does this allow for exporting of data to an excel or is the data viewable on an app post range session?

nope, no app which is something missing vs some of the competition. This is just very basic, set it down, hammer out some swings. You can scroll back through and see the shot results after.

nope, no app which is something missing vs some of the competition. This is just very basic, set it down, hammer out some swings. You can scroll back through and see the shot results after.
I’m actually ok with that…I mean for some the data afterwards is just that data. Give me numbers why I’m on the range & im ok.

• Staff
Great review Dan, thank you very much. Well for $229 US it seems like a steal considering the accuracy of the unit. In addition you mention Dan that the unit was rolled out in conjunction with SuperSpeed Golf, so does this mean that it will record your swing speed using the super speed system? If so that’s another bonus because you don’t have to buy a swing speed radar separately which is very expensive.

Did you get a chance to compare it vs a GC2 indoors or another unit and if so, how did it fare?

I believe it is supposed to read the super speed sticks as well. But let me double check on that.
I do have some side by sides with gc2 with some driver, iron, wedge swings. Was tested at an open range as well as with a hitting net. Nothing indoors yet.

I’m actually ok with that…I mean for some the data afterwards is just that data. Give me numbers why I’m on the range & im ok.

and I think that’s the market. Simple, let me get an idea what’s going on without costing as much as a new driver.

I really do think for the tech savvy, that is what is missing. With that said, some people prefer the Ron Popeil set it and forget it and see how it turns out idea and for a simple range device to hammer down your distances, the app might be overkill anyway.

I really do think for the tech savvy, that is what is missing. With that said, some people prefer the Ron Popeil set it and forget it and see how it turns out idea and for a simple range device to hammer down your distances, the app might be overkill anyway.

The golf nerd is going to want an app and spin readings. Personally I can do without those on this guy. What would be nice is some sort of practice mode, esp with the swing speed readings. Really show how you can dial down a shot or even add a little extra to it.

Great review Dean with a lot of useful information. If memory serves me correctly, you also did the Rapsodo review a year or so ago. How do they compare in terms of usefulness and accuracy? I know one big difference, besides the $270 more the Rapsodo costs, is the data tracking via an app that the Rapsodo offers.

Thanks, Dean. I have used this unit for a couple of months using the Stack System for recording speed and have taken it to the range for hitting balls. I did buy a tripod for it and that helps. On the range, when I put it flat on the ground in grass where it might be uneven with longer blades, I had inconsistent readings. For example, I don't hit an 8i with 94 mph swing speed. I bought a VISIO tripod, going to their UK site, and it arrived within less than a week. It helps. No radar is perfect but I find this unit vital and accurate for my use.

The golf nerd is going to want an app and spin readings. Personally I can do without those on this guy. What would be nice is some sort of practice mode, esp with the swing speed readings. Really show how you can dial down a shot or even add a little extra to it.
I think that is a really good idea. Even without the app, using the screen. Not sure where that sends it price wise, but you might be getting closer to the Voice Caddie SC300i

The accuracy and no frills at this price is intriguing.

How much space does it need/did you have when hitting into a net?

The accuracy and no frills at this price is intriguing.

How much space does it need/did you have when hitting into a net?

I would say my net setup is normally in that 4-6 foot range. Close enough where full wedge shots don’t entertain the thought of going over into my neighbors yard.

Dean. Thanks, great review. Something I’ll be looking into compared to similar devices for the basement/winter months (for starters).

this may be just the item i need to complete my home “range”. I do think I’d prefer the ability to store data and move it to an app. And maybe (big maybe) ability to collect additional data. But not sure if that’s nice to have or really important? (Mostly rhetorical question)!

Really nice review Dean, and I agree with all of this. A practice mode would be nice to just take all the back and forth out of it.

As far as a spin thing, I’m probably in a solo boat on this one but I find myself caring less and less about it? I’m not a player with rip back spin, more hop and stop. So for that, I’m not concerned about controlling it. I’m not high spin off the driver, I’m too high launch with the driver. Now if a machine just said hey, do this instead to fix that like @GolferGal’s workout machine? That would be an amazing piece of equipment and Dean do you want to patent this idea with me really quickly

You mention about selecting the club you are hitting - does it require the lofts for each club to be set up, or is that irrelevant with this device?

You mention about selecting the club you are hitting - does it require the lofts for each club to be set up, or is that irrelevant with this device?
Nope, just gives you the club selection by #. Off the top of my head I believe it’s up to a 9 wood, 6 hybrid, then the norm irons, GW, SW, LW.

Really nice review Dean, and I agree with all of this. A practice mode would be nice to just take all the back and forth out of it.

As far as a spin thing, I’m probably in a solo boat on this one but I find myself caring less and less about it? I’m not a player with rip back spin, more hop and stop. So for that, I’m not concerned about controlling it. I’m not high spin off the driver, I’m too high launch with the driver. Now if a machine just said hey, do this instead to fix that like @GolferGal’s workout machine? That would be an amazing piece of equipment and Dean do you want to patent this idea with me really quickly

Yeah I’m not really concerned with spin all that much either. And I feel like we need brighter minds than ours for that project.

i have pondered one of these to take on course with me during my practice rounds...your write-up inches me closer to pulling the trigger @ddec ...thanks for the review.

I like that it has a big screen that you can see easily. I am one of those old guys with reading glasses so it is good to be able to have a screen with big numbers on it.

I bought one of these last year. The club selection assumes relatively standard lofts. I’m using clubs with “jacked” lofts so when I’m hitting a 7 iron, I choose 6i on the device and my distances get closer to correct. I’m working on swing speeds so this has been invaluable to me showing any progress I might be having. It’s great that you don’t have to be using a ball and just the SuperSpeed sticks to get accurate info. I’m using last years model which also has settings for baseball swings. If you have a kid playing ball, he can use it too assuming that feature is also on the new model.

Back