You changed to graphite shafts in your irons. Happy that you did it? Or not?

jackod

Reaction score
You changed to graphite shafts in your irons. Happy that you did it? Or not?

What has improved? Accuracy, distance, ball flight, your joints, etc???

I changed for one year, I wouldn’t say anything improved or got worse but I did enjoy them.

I had them this year. I ultimately went too light but loved how I wasn't sore after a weekend of golf. Joints felt fresh!

I was fitted for SteelFiber i95 shafts in two separate fittings, so, when a new set of Srixon ZX5s with those shafts showed up unexpectedly at PGATSS, I traded my new ZX7s for them. At first, I was happy with the trade but now I wish I'd stayed with the ZX7s with Modus3 120s shafts.

Not only do the ZX7s feel better but the lighter weight of the SF i95s has not been kind to my dispersion. Or, probably more correctly, I have not adapted well to the lighter shafts. I should have known that would be a problem because i've always preferred heavier shafts -- DG S300, etc. But, I gave in to the "I'm getting older and need lighter shafts" movement.

So, I don't think it's really the shift from steel to graphite that's been an issue. It's the shift from 130g to 115g to 95g shafts. It's clear that my swing likes a heavier shaft than 95g. I do feel the benefit of the graphite shafts re: impact on the hands, wrists, etc., so I may look at the Recoil 110s or something along those lines.

Been graphite since 1993. Much less reverberation on miss hits. Less pain ultimately.

Switched this year. Performance is that of steel. Not specifically better ball flight or anything. But, that’s exactly what I wanted. What I did gain was a lot of joint relief. Tennis elbow pretty much went away not long after the switch.

I don’t have the ability to drill down into the data between the two. Just going off of what I see on the course. There aren’t a ton of 125-130 gram graphite iron shaft options that I’ve found. Two major ones are Recoil Proto 120 and the MMT 125. Being able to get into a more traditional weight that I’m used to while getting the benefits of composite was perfect.

I played graphite quite a few years and swithed to steel last year, and my elbows can tell it. I will make the switch back graphite just to ease that pain.

the lighter weight of the SF i95s has not been kind to my dispersion. Or, probably more correctly, I have not adapted well to the lighter shafts.
this was me, my distance control over time with the lighter graphite (recoil 95 compared to modus 120) wasn’t great. Over two fitting sessions since the heavier weight was much better dispersion wise. Accra 110s are being made up for me now. I still really like the shock reduction of graphite.

Switched a few years ago. Much easier on the joints especially in the colder weather.

Following along to hear others experiences. I plan on giving graphite shafts a serious consideration in my next set of irons

I’m elated that I did and I’m never going back to steel. It’s WAY easier on my hands and other joints.

100% happy I moved to graphite. Helped eliminate tennis elbow & wrist pain, higher flight, less weight to carry when I walk.

I switched a set a year or two ago based on some reviews. I regretted it. I pulled them and sold them, so no huge loss, but they did not feel or perform at all like steel, like people claimed they did/do. Then someone from the company later said that they were designed to launch higher, and would not perform the same as steel, and I was like 'so why do people keep saying they do? :unsure:'.

My body would love some more options that might work with graphite though.

Been in graphite for two years and won’t go back. Joints feel so much better after long practice sessions or multiple days of golf in a row

I switched a set a year or two ago based on some reviews. I regretted it. I pulled them and sold them, so no huge loss, but they did not feel or perform at all like steel, like people claimed they did/do. Then someone from the company later said that they were designed to launch higher, and would not perform the same as steel, and I was like 'so why do people keep saying they do? :unsure:'.

My body would love some more options that might work with graphite though.
How many have you tried? For example, the Recoil 95s clearly launched higher but the Accra 110s were on par with modus 120 for me, at least well within my variance. It may be person and model specific but lots of options to look at nowadays.

Best equipment decision I have made. Way easier on my golfers elbow and better ball flight and accuracy. It was a great move for me.

As long as I have the choice, I am staying with graphite in my irons. I play best with a shaft in the 90 to 105 gram weight and there are good options for graphite in that range that keep the flight down just fine and give me as good of dispersion as my swing permits.

I've got graphite in my irons. I like it. There's something not right in my left elbow (I think something is torn) and my right one hurts. It'd be nice if whatever was wrong would heal.:confused2:

Absolutely simply for the fact that the joint issues the vibration of steels shafts were causing my old body almost instantly got disappeared. Will never go back in either irons of wedges.

Happy enough. No difference for me.

I love graphite shafts and will only play graphite in numbered irons. I tried a set of steel shafts for awhile two summers ago and although flight and distance were good, I quickly developed some decent soreness that I hadn’t experienced before in my elbows and wrists.

I’d like to move out of steel shafts in my 56° and 60° eventually as well.

I switched last year: recoil 110 and now steelfiber i95. I think graphite is easier on my hands and wrists. I like how they perform. The lighter weight works for me. Happy with them and no plans to go steel. Even went graphite in my wedges.

Switched my irons and wedges to Mitsubishi MMT Tour Taper 105 earlier this year from my previous Oban CT 115 and am very happy with the switch. I’ve had better dispersion and less fatigue at the end of my rounds

I switched to graphite over 10 years ago and my wrist/elbow pain disappeared. I gave steel shafts one more try in the ‘17 Morgan Cup, but the pain returned. I’m never going back to steel shafts.

Back