PRGR Portable Launch Monitor Review

THANKS! I appreciate it, the way my basement net is set up, I am not sure I can get 6 ft for some of them. So this distance is perfect. And the price is a great way to determine how valuable it is for me. If it works (and I find it helpful), then I can consider some of the more data driven versions.
I wasn't sure if my comment would reach you (because i had posted it in the comment section and not in the forum). I like the device. It really is a useful tool. Feedback is everything, especially if you are working on swing changes (ie: was this swing faster, etc)

Here is the original deleted comment:
Yea, for this device, anywhere from 3.5 to 5 feet according to the manual.

Here is a link to the manual:

The only device that I can think of that is not behind the ball is the Garmin G80 (set up to the side like GCQuad)

Interesting. Even though I don't really have a need for this, I think I'd like to have it. It seems easy enough... set it and use it.

The device uses mainly standard lofts. Is there anywhere to see what those are on the device itself?

Can it be used with a driver?

@ddec great write up for this one. Price is very reasonable & thumbs up on the feature of not needing to hit a ball to capture swing speed. I like the size of this compared to my SC300i.

Does this allow for exporting of data to an excel or is the data viewable on an app post range session?
I really do think for the tech savvy, that is what is missing. With that said, some people prefer the Ron Popeil set it and forget it and see how it turns out idea and for a simple range device to hammer down your distances, the app might be overkill anyway.
The golf nerd is going to want an app and spin readings. Personally I can do without those on this guy. What would be nice is some sort of practice mode, esp with the swing speed readings. Really show how you can dial down a shot or even add a little extra to it.

Dean. Thanks, great review. Something I’ll be looking into compared to similar devices for the basement/winter months (for starters).

this may be just the item i need to complete my home “range”. I do think I’d prefer the ability to store data and move it to an app. And maybe (big maybe) ability to collect additional data. But not sure if that’s nice to have or really important? (Mostly rhetorical question)!

It's not going to be for everybody, but there is a web-app that will do this. As a disclosure, I am affiliated with this project.

It's not going to be for everybody, but there is a web-app that will do this. As a disclosure, I am affiliated with this project.

I'll have to watch this a bit later, but that would definitely be interesting to see

Interesting. Even though I don't really have a need for this, I think I'd like to have it. It seems easy enough... set it and use it.

The device uses mainly standard lofts. Is there anywhere to see what those are on the device itself?

Can it be used with a driver?

Yes, it can be used with a driver. You may have to use a mini-tripod (see first page of forum for some examples) to get most accurate results due to ball being on a tee. Some people just prop the device on a sleeve of balls.

Here is what the manual says about selecting clubs:

"If using for an approach shot, select between “PW,” “AW,” or “SW.” Using other settings may result in measurements not being performed correctly. * If club number settings are not performed, the flight distance may not be estimated correctly."

Some people have to change the club to up or down a club if their lofts are stronger or weaker than normal.

Is it available yet on the Apple App store?

I have this LM for use with the Max Swing Speed trainer I bought. The Max Swing Speed is sort of a poor man's Stack System. The PRGR picked up swings without a ball pretty well but I thought it worked better tracking actual shots. I didn't have another LM to test it against but the swing speeds with my driver were within the realm of reasonably expected based off my driver fitting in 2020. Iron speeds were within a mph or 3 of my iron fitting in 2019. I need to pull it out of the bag and see where I am now.

I have been using my PRGR for about a month now and it seems to be pretty consistent. I set it up on a mini tripod maybe 3 to 5 feet behind the ball and it picks up driver, fairway woods, irons and wedges just fine. It’s giving me some instant feedback during my practice sessions at the range. I am more than satisfied with this $230.00 investment!

Can anyone compare the PRGR versus the Rapsodo that is on sale for $350? I’m intrigued, to say the least on the Rapsodo, just not sure I’d benefit from the extra stuff it measures. Note his accurate one is versus another into nets.

thanks!

Can anyone compare the PRGR versus the Rapsodo that is on sale for $350? I’m intrigued, to say the least on the Rapsodo, just not sure I’d benefit from the extra stuff it measures. Note his accurate one is versus another into nets.

thanks!

I have both. Anything in particular?

@ddec I’ll be using it in the basement going into a net, mostly. I’m starting to think I’d get a lot more from the Rapsodo since it’s going to show the V “shot” Vice just showed and distance data.

ease of use
Accuracy
Anything else you’d like to offer info wise.

Thanks for your time! Happy thanksgiving

Last edited:
If any of you are still interested in getting a PRGR, there is a giveaway going on. You also get a subscription to that platform I was talking about a few weeks ago. All for a good cause, he is trying to raise money for a charity that assists his son.

And if you don't have twitter, check @charles_n_eddy on instagram.

I just used a friend's at the range and no idea this thing existed. As someone who's been undergoing a swing rebuild with lessons over the winter it offered really valuable data for me. I ordered one as soon as I got home and love the tripod mounts that were shared in their thread. Hoping to have a great experience getting my distances somewhat dialed in at the range.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve picked up my Super Speed sticks again and I don’t have a radar. Also been at dome and I’m not trusting their speed radar. Any long term thoughts from anyone? SuperSpeed website has it for under $210.

I'm looking for swing speed monitoring. Is this the best bang for the buck?

I'll throw an update in here after about 3 weeks of use with the prgr. Overall, I am pretty impressed with the data it has given with my dome range sessions. The yardages given are fairly accurate and I've been using this to gage my consistency as I've been taking lessons. The club speed may read slightly high at times but overall fairly close to trackman when I've been able to compare. It's been a solid purchase for me to keep track of my range sessions and average my swings to compare and track progress. It definitely reads slower speeds when practicing without hitting a ball from my testing.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Personal launch monitors have been a hot topic recently, and the market for these devices keeps on expanding. What is exciting about this developing market is that a vast price range allows golfers to choose a practice companion that fits their budget. When I mention price ranges, I’m talking about units that cost as little as $200 to top-of-the-line, tour-quality machines that run for $20,000. Today, we are looking at the PRGR Portable Launch Monitor, which competes in that competitive sub $500 market.

Continue reading...
I love mine. Use it every time I’m at the range.

Reactions: RD
Just ordered one of these, along with the tripod that @tahoebum identified, similar to the one first suggested by @Desmond. Thanks For the original review, @ddec.

I have had a Swing Caddie SC200 since 2019, and it is surprisingly accurate, but I need something that also will measure just a club swing for speed training and the Swing Caddie doesn’t do that.

Last edited:
Just ordered one of these, along with the tripod that @tahoebum identified, similar to and first suggested by @Desmond. Thanks For the original review, @ddec.

I have a Swing Caddie SC200 and it is surprisingly accurate, but I need something that will measure just a club swing fore speed training and the Swing Caddie doesn’t do that.
Im not sure where you got it from, but if its delayed, I can tell you that the Indoor Golf Shop has them in stock. The banner is in this section, as I just ordered one for a friend of mine and he got it quickly.

Just ordered one of these, along with the tripod that @tahoebum identified, similar to the one first suggested by @Desmond. Thanks For the original review, @ddec.

I have had a Swing Caddie SC200 since 2019, and it is surprisingly accurate, but I need something that also will measure just a club swing for speed training and the Swing Caddie doesn’t do that.

I will say that in my limited use with it, the PRGR seems to be reading a little slow indoors just swinging a club. I can't get it over 101mph with a full driver swing and I'm constistently between 104-106mph on the Trackman and top out at about 108mph. It's not a big deal as long as I know that it's off about 4-5mph.

Last edited:
I hit some balls with it out on a grass field. I only used pw. It was wildly inconsistent with swing speed, ranging anywhere from high 60’s, to 86 mph. All of the swings were full swings, so it definitely was not reading club speed correctly. TrackMan generally shows me at 78 to 80 with a full swing pw. So, my first experience was not the most favorable. I will try it again with some other clubs, when I can get on a real range.

I hit some balls with it out on a grass field. I only used pw. It was wildly inconsistent with swing speed, ranging anywhere from high 60’s, to 86 mph. All of the swings were full swings, so it definitely was not reading club speed correctly. TrackMan generally shows me at 78 to 80 with a full swing pw. So, my first experience was not the most favorable. I will try it again with some other clubs, when I can get on a real range.

were you using that tripod? Try it without and see any difference?

were you using that tripod? Try it without and see any difference?
I was using the tripod and had the same thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

I discovered the same - outside, it is inconsistent. Inside, recently, I get more bad readings. Adjusted it. Need to check batteries and clean the unit. Used the tripod.

Back