LIVE UPDATE THREAD The Project X Experience with Mizuno

1000%. The course was challenging but fair and was in fantastic condition. The replica holes were very well done. It honestly reminded me a little bit of home with the trees, just a much more enjoyable grass to play off than I'm used to up here.
:unsure: Bermuda like grass was more enjoyable? I think I missed the reasoning behind this after I blacked out in fear of being hit by your 170+ mph ball speed.

:unsure: Bermuda like grass was more enjoyable? I think I missed the reasoning behind this after I blacked out in fear of being hit by your 170+ mph ball speed.
I enjoyed the turf interaction a lot. Vosh or Keenan did say that it's tougher, especially the rough, when it's not dormant but it felt great to me.

I enjoyed the turf interaction a lot. Vosh or Keenan did say that it's tougher, especially the rough, when it's not dormant but it felt great to me.

That's fair, it was a bit dormant. It's not so bad when dormant. It's awful when it's wet and when some courses let it grow just a bit more.

That's fair, it was a bit dormant. It's not so bad when dormant. It's awful when it's wet and when some courses let it grow just a bit more.
What is it like when wet? Anything long is a pain in the @ss for me 🤣

What is it like when wet? Anything long is a pain in the @ss for me 🤣

Thicc, with two C's. So when Bermuda grass and its jerk like friends (zoysia) get wet, it clumps. So now you have a bunch of blades of thick grass, holding moisture, and clumping. The ball in bermuda doesn't always settle down to the bottom, either. Sometimes it does, sometimes it sits on top of the grass a bit. So if it's on top of the grass, what happens if you go down after it? Is it going to come out clean like it was on a tee? Are you going to go right underneath it and hit it on the top grooves aka this is going absolutely nowhere? If it's sitting down, how clean of contact can I actually make? Or is this basically a total pitch out sideways?

Thicc, with two C's. So when Bermuda grass and its jerk like friends (zoysia) get wet, it clumps. So now you have a bunch of blades of thick grass, holding moisture, and clumping. The ball in bermuda doesn't always settle down to the bottom, either. Sometimes it does, sometimes it sits on top of the grass a bit. So if it's on top of the grass, what happens if you go down after it? Is it going to come out clean like it was on a tee? Are you going to go right underneath it and hit it on the top grooves aka this is going absolutely nowhere? If it's sitting down, how clean of contact can I actually make? Or is this basically a total pitch out sideways?
Oh, yeah that doesn't sound pleasant. So I'll amend my original statement to I really enjoy the turf interaction of dry, dormant Bermuda 😂

Oh, yeah that doesn't sound pleasant. So I'll amend my original statement to I really enjoy the turf interaction of dry, dormant Bermuda 😂

Here's hoping you get into more THP events where you can experience awful bermuda, so we can have a great laugh about you saying this was your favorite grass ever.:drinks:

I'll definitely :drinks: to that 😀

Answering your question right now about grain flow forging. I will let @thewilderside dill you in on the answer. Good question
@Canadan reading back through and this jogged my memory. So the way they forge is unique and patented in that they hand stretch the billet before they begin forging. This means the grain is all flowing the same way, whereas other forms the grain will not have the same consistency. This plays a key role in the feel and sound we all so love in a Mizuno product.

No sir, just shaft testing
Was really cool listening to a shaft guy in Keenan work with someone who could articulate what he liked or didn't like about what he was feeling in the shaft. Think Vosh went through at least 3 before settling in.

This was first hole I hit with the RDX Smoke Blue, my ball flew over the right hand corner of the bunker seen on the left. Still think my drive on 14 was longer but I have the confirmed numbers on this one (#9)

When we (@thewilderside , @Afizzle2100 , and I) we were doubled #teamtallguy.....i'm just 6'2" and i was the SHORT one on the team!
Their team was definitely on the shorter side, not to throw shade at @JDax @chefkritter or @DannyLe since they did beat us. @MSEASU was the center for their team
Final hole and straight down the hill

View attachment 9045318
Another good reference shot, my drive cleared the right side of the left hand bunker. Keenan had me by 15 yards and center of the fairway.

Last edited:
Not remotely busy. We never saw anyone behind us and the only hole we had any wait on was approach on 14 and tee on 18. It was fantastic. We wrapped up our round in just over 3 1/2 hours which is pretty remarkable considering we did try to locate multiple balls in the leaves.
And set up a GC on almost every tee box!

And set up a GC on almost every tee box!
Funny thing was it accidentally got bumped to lh at one point. Took us a minute to figure out why it wasn't reading 😆

@thewilderside Have you figured out how to explain how awesome the end of last week was to your co-workers, friends, and family?

@thewilderside Have you figured out how to explain how awesome the end of last week was to your co-workers, friends, and family?
Not yet, at least not quickly 🤣. I was on the phone with @JeffreyRoy86 from Braselton to Atlanta running down the trip, and he gets golf. Someone who doesn't I'll have to pare down from hour and half so they don't glaze over 🤣

Just catching up on your hole recaps @thewilderside ! Thanks for doing that even with less than ideal results game wise! Like you said though, a lot of fun going over it even if the play wasn't great, because of the company you were with!

Couldn't find the thread for the the 2021 ST-Z so thought I'd throw thoughts in here. Played 36 sim holes today and boy was I an adventure (as usual). Had some swing ideas that I was excited to try and (shockingly) they didn't work how I thought they would. This combination remains fantastic when I do my part. Took me about 27 holes to figure it out, but chilling my tempo out and choking down a bit turn this combo into a fairway finder.

The thing that continued to stand out was that I still don't see wild fades/hooks. Don't get me wrong I was all over the map today, but i wasn't seeing something start down the middle of the fairway and hook or slice 50 yards. A 50 yard miss was the result of starting line of the shot (pull draw/push fade). Given how off I was all day that made me happy. My final swing of the day was the choked down, smooth tempo swing that produced a beautiful high baby fade that was my longest of the day at 305. If I can ever figure my swing out the ST-Z / Smoke Blue combi could be a legitimate weapon this year 🤞

Couldn't find the thread for the the 2021 ST-Z so thought I'd throw thoughts in here. Played 36 sim holes today and boy was I an adventure (as usual). Had some swing ideas that I was excited to try and (shockingly) they didn't work how I thought they would. This combination remains fantastic when I do my part. Took me about 27 holes to figure it out, but chilling my tempo out and choking down a bit turn this combo into a fairway finder.

The thing that continued to stand out was that I still don't see wild fades/hooks. Don't get me wrong I was all over the map today, but i wasn't seeing something start down the middle of the fairway and hook or slice 50 yards. A 50 yard miss was the result of starting line of the shot (pull draw/push fade). Given how off I was all day that made me happy. My final swing of the day was the choked down, smooth tempo swing that produced a beautiful high baby fade that was my longest of the day at 305. If I can ever figure my swing out the ST-Z / Smoke Blue combi could be a legitimate weapon this year 🤞

I might be stalking that thread a bit so I had it handy. Really enjoyed reading your impressions. Hearing stuff like this makes it harder and harder to resist going STZ 3 wood AND Driver. The 3 wood is a near certainty at this point but I've finally started hitting my current driver pretty well so I'm hesitant to make a change. Thanks for posting your feedback!

Back