Would the LPGA Tour be better off leaving the Golf Channel?

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The LPGA is 3rd fiddle for some reason behind PGA Tour and PGA Tour Champions on the Golf Channel. Would they be better off finding a network that would feature them and not run them tape delayed nearly every week?

It would be awesome if a network would do it. Golf Channel always puts them last, they deserve better than that.

Maybe a co-op agreement where they are on NBC Golf/NBC sometimes and another network otherwise. Mayne NBC Golf for early round coverage or am coverage and then a major network or cable outlet for weekend coverage.

Probably not… I don’t know they’d get better exposure anywhere else and even if they did, would people go hunting around for the channel? For better or worse, it seems to be a “Want to watch golf? Put on Golf Channel” situation.
I do wish the LPGA would get more coverage and bigger payouts. The product is good, and getting better, I think

It would be awesome if a network would do it. Golf Channel always puts them last, they deserve better than that.
It is sad to see with the skill there is on the LPGA.

I would love to see them get some sort of featured coverage on streaming services like ESPN+ since it's sort of up and coming now.

What would really be great is something similar to what the PGA Tour has, with the Tour Live stuff, but maybe they just can't put that kind of production out there yet?

Heck, I'm just glad that we get to see them as often as we do. I love watching LPGA tourneys.

Maybe. Because of the Golf Channel I have found a love for watching the lpga. In my own viewing I have paid for things like pga tour featured group coverage. Maybe a model something like that?

I wish they had more coverage. I think it’s improving.. slowly. But as a father of two girl golfers the more LPGA the better in our household

i just feel like the LPGA doesn't help its own cause (not the players, the organization)...there's probably some lame contract in place that holds them hostage to GC but they need to do better for their players. you always hear about better prize money, etc. but you don't get to SEE them play without having to navigate 4 different streams.

I would love to see a network sign the LPGA and give them better coverage. I love following the LPGA and think it’s a tremendous product that would bring a lot of value to someone willing to give these ladies the air time. I definitely get frustrated when I can’t watch the big tournaments on weekends especially when golf channel has some highlight show on instead.

They would be better if they could get some life in the announcers. The telecasts are so boring. They show way more of the preshot routine than the men so it seems like the women play slower. The announcers are dull, it is all just a mess.

I understand contracts, but there is zero reason in today’s age that any sports event can’t be played in entirety on the channel’s digital platform. If I can watch the Olympics and EVERY sport, why can’t they keep the cameras they already have on site filming still rolling?

I’d love to see this so I can catch tourneys live.

I wish they would play a few tournaments that would start on mondays, and end on wednesdays... see if their ratings go sky high.

You make it sound like it is all up to them. It takes two to dance.

I am not sure they would entirely benefit but I would like to see the LPGA fall behind the PGA Tour in the pecking order and relegate the Champions Tour down the ladder.

The LPGA is the future of women’s golf whereas the Champions are for nostalgia. I will occasionally watch the Champions Tour but will watch the LPGA any day of the week. My guess is sponsorship $$$ must bump the Sr. men ahead of the ladies but the Golf Channel isn’t doing the LPGA any favours relegating them to status below the Champions Tour.

I enjoy the LPGA more than I do the PGA so I would certainly benefit. But isn't it the ratings that dictate which tour gets the most air time?

While there seems to be an abundance of fans on this site, I would think a network is going to prioritize by what will bring the most viewers. If that isn't what drives the decisions, then yes, the LPGA would benefit from being on another network.

I enjoy the LPGA more than I do the PGA so I would certainly benefit. But isn't it the ratings that dictate which tour gets the most air time?

While there seems to be an abundance of fans on this site, I would think a network is going to prioritize by what will bring the most viewers. If that isn't what drives the decisions, then yes, the LPGA would benefit from being on another network.

Yes, it has to do with ratings and how much advertising revenue can be generated.

I am not sure they would entirely benefit but I would like to see the LPGA fall behind the PGA Tour in the pecking order and relegate the Champions Tour down the ladder.

The LPGA is the future of women’s golf whereas the Champions are for nostalgia. I will occasionally watch the Champions Tour but will watch the LPGA any day of the week. My guess is sponsorship $$$ must bump the Sr. men ahead of the ladies but the Golf Channel isn’t doing the LPGA any favours relegating them to status below the Champions Tour.

Phil playing and winning on the PGA Tour Champions is not nostalgia. His playing on that tour is going to have an effect on its ratings.

Where are they going to go?

The networks are not going to bump football in the fall or the other major sports the rest of the year. It also has to do with marketing. Outside of the Korda's and maybe Lexi and Lydia Ko there are not a real lot of household names that resonate with the casual fan-let alone the golf diehards.

And go where? If they can't get a fair shake on Golf Channel....then a fair shake doesn't exist for them. What player on their tour could possibly drive a huge uptick in interest.....Awwww Nobody right now. Their slot is right where it should be. I personally love to watch as their game is more like mine vs the PGA....but I'm a very small minority.

I wish they would play a few tournaments that would start on mondays, and end on wednesdays... see if their ratings go sky high.
Mike Whan had an interview with NLU and he said ratings go down. It also kills attendance at the tournaments.

I think it is more women's sports in general. My wife is a huge LPGA fan but also loves women's soccer and the WNBA. Try and find them on any network or even see advertising for their events. I think, as a whole, the networks believe women's sports do not generate viewers and therefore not enough revenue.

I'm no longer a PPV Sports guy any more. I refuse to pay to have to also watch commercials.

So, if the LPGA moved it would need to be to one of the 4/5 national free channels.

I'd watch them more often if they did.

I don't think you could find a broadcast network that would be willing to cover all rounds of a LPGA tournament. They would want to do a few hours a day on the weekends. And even then they would not drop baseball or football to cover the LPGA. At least the Golf Channel provides viewers with all round coverage, even if it is in a delayed time slot.

My local newspaper does not even put the LPGA in their TV listings.

Back