I give up, I need help picking my wedges.

18 handicapper with a pretty shallow AOA. Want to use it greenside and pitch shots. No sand.

• Set Match - Mizuno HM Wedges in 54*13* and 58*7 to match my irons

• More Player Wedge - Like a Vokey SM8 in 54*10* and 5*12

• Little More Forgiving Wedge - Like a Mack Daddy CB at 54 and 58

Results are only viewable after voting.

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just got fit, but I'm still lost on what wedge to pick. I got a massive fitting story coming up but essentially I got fit by two different fitters over the last month and I was super impressed by either wedge fitting. I do not plan to play either of these wedges out of the sand. They would be for chipping and pitching green side. I've landed on a 54 and 58.

One fitter landed on Mizuno T22 at 54*8* bounce. Justification mainly being I have a shallow angle of attack so don't want a bunch of bounce. This feels really small and compact for my high 18 handicap, but hell I dont know?

The other fitter landed on Mizuno Hot Metal SW and LW to just fit the irons I was fit into. From what I can can tell the SW is 54*`13* and the LW HM is 59*8* which I would bend to 58*. I have ordered Mizuno Hot Metals 4i-GW, so these would match my set, but it's hard to find any reviews on these.

I spent 1.5 hours in dicks hitting into a trackman and overall I personally landed on like the Vokey SM8's and the Callaway Mack Daddy CB's, but they didn't have demo's in either of the T22's or HM wedges so...

I'm coming from playing a chipper, I honestly think I'll transition better into chipping with a wedge than I give myself credit for, but what would you all do if you were me, and what kind of stuff should I think about? I want to add these two wedges to my Christmas list.

If you are coming from a chipper think about getting a Vokey SM8 46 degree. I picked one up a couple weeks ago and I love it. More loft than a chipper of course but rolls out very nice. It has replaced my PW so I didn’t have to replace another wedge in my bag. I now have my Cleveland Smart Sole C (42 degree) the SM8 46, a SM8 50 and a CBX2 54. Perfect gapping for me. I use the 54 out of bunkers.

I would venture a guess that based on your experience and what your struggles have been, I would say the MD CB would be a pretty perfect fit.

It sounds like the Mack Daddy or CBX2 route is the best way forward. These give you the ability to hit those shots you describe and have enough forgiveness if you get into them for fuller swings.

When I was at your handicap level I didn’t get along with my GI SW for those little green side shots, fwiw.

Not sure on the Mack Daddy but some places have the CBX2 marked down in preparation for the next release.

I would venture a guess that based on your experience and what your struggles have been, I would say the MD CB would be a pretty perfect fit.
That is where I was definitely leaning, I wish they had more bounce options, but it probably doesn't matter at my level of play and I'm probably way over thinking it like I do most things.

I think the MD CB or the Hot Metals would be good for you. I think the Vokey might seem like a big jump. What kind of shafts were you fit into for the wedges. The weight there might be a key for you too.

If you are coming from a chipper think about getting a Vokey SM8 46 degree. I picked one up a couple weeks ago and I love it. More loft than a chipper of course but rolls out very nice. It has replaced my PW so I didn’t have to replace another wedge in my bag. I now have my Cleveland Smart Sole C (42 degree) the SM8 46, a SM8 50 and a CBX2 54. Perfect gapping for me. I use the 54 out of bunkers.
I have a GW coming in my hot metal set at 49* or whatever it is, so I can definitely use this as a little more bump and run, but this is really more for that 54 and 58 gap.

I think the MD CB or the Hot Metals would be good for you. I think the Vokey might seem like a big jump. What kind of shafts were you fit into for the wedges. The weight there might be a key for you too.
So this is also where it gets a little tricky, because you just dont' have great shaft options in something like the Callaway Mack Daddy CB. My CC fitter said I could absolutely play the same Stiff flex modus 105 I was fit into or I could add 10 grams and go up to a 115, but if i want to do something like that I almost have to go vokey. You just don't have those options in the high handicap wedges?

So this is also where it gets a little tricky, because you just dont' have great shaft options in something like the Callaway Mack Daddy CB. My CC fitter said I could absolutely play the same Stiff flex modus 105 I was fit into or I could add 10 grams and go up to a 115, but if i want to do something like that I almost have to go vokey. You just don't have those options in the high handicap wedges?
How did you like the feel when you tested the CBs at the store?

And how much did you actually test shafts with the wedges compared to just talk to the fitter? I ask as my experience I heard the same thing, go same shaft or heavier, but have since found with some tinkering that a slightly lighter and softer shaft worked better for me.

Based on your posted comments, I voted going with the set Mizuno HM SW and LW. They are good clubs, well made, and would provide consistency throughout your set.

One of each? How about a 54° MD CB and 58° SM8? 😁

How did you like the feel when you tested the CBs at the store?

And how much did you actually test shafts with the wedges compared to just talk to the fitter? I ask as my experience I heard the same thing, go same shaft or heavier, but have since found with some tinkering that a slightly lighter and softer shaft worked better for me.
Yea all pure conjecture. I definitely hit a Vokey 54*10* against a Mack Daddy CB 54*14* (i think that was the bounce) and I can't say I saw a whole lot of difference in spin between the two. I don't know that I felt much different about either, but I find hitting wedges into a screen off of a mat to be VERY difficult. I went back through the Mizuno JPX 921 thread to see if anyone was playing the GW/SW/LW offered by Mizuno as a part of the set, but so few are...I actually think that set is a good blend between a Vokey and a MD CB, but if it doesn't work out, resell is probably going to be horrendous on those...so I just don't know what the heck to do.

You can definitely get custom shafts on the Mizuno's I would imagine. The Callaway's are stock with the KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 at 105g. They should be very similar to the Nippon's.

You can definitely get custom shafts on the Mizuno's I would imagine. The Callaway's are stock with the KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 at 105g. They should be very similar to the Nippon's.
Yea I mean I would fit the 921 SW and LW into the same exact shaft I'm using in my 921 HM's as a starting point probably. I don't know that my level of play is going to be able to feel a difference in a 10g shaft honestly. I'm just not there yet. Maybe the 921 is a good balance between the two, I just can't find hardly any reviews on the HM wedges, and again I think the resell will probably be rough.

The other thing I could do is go with the HM SW which I would probably full swing with the same shafts as my SW, and then maybe go little more player wedge with the 58 which I'll never full swing? Hmm...see this is good you guys got me thinking!

Yea I mean I would fit the 921 SW and LW into the same exact shaft I'm using in my 921 HM's as a starting point probably. I don't know that my level of play is going to be able to feel a difference in a 10g shaft honestly. I'm just not there yet. Maybe the 921 is a good balance between the two, I just can't find hardly any reviews on the HM wedges, and again I think the resell will probably be rough.
I played the HM SW and LW wedges with my Hot Metal Pros. I liked them so much that when playing the HMPs, I would take my Vokeys out of the bag and put in the HM wedges. You can play them straight or open face. Good, versatile wedges.

I played the HM SW and LW wedges with my Hot Metal Pros. I liked them so much that when playing the HMPs, I would take my Vokeys out of the bag and put in the HM wedges. You can play them straight or open face. Good, versatile wedges.
This is the post I needed to hear!

I couldn't find a single review of the HMP wedges. Did you find them a bit more forgiving then the Vokeys? Do you full swing your SW? And which are you primarily using for greenside chipping?

If these are playable enough for you at a 9 handicap, this might just be my answer.

You were fit into a T22 but did not tell us how you felt over the ball and how you performed with them.

They are a more compact blade for an 18 capper. But I don't know the reason for your 18 hc - is it driver, putter, irons, are you great around the green?

But when I was a 15-18 capper, I started with Cleveland 588 wedges - a blade with zero bounce - lol - when 0 bounce was popular but hell for your game. You are smart to get fit.

I don't know your goals. I find a bigger CB less playable, less precise but more forgiving. Looking at the MD CB, lots of offset, a full sole and W grind - it's apparently made with lots of effective bounce so you get some glide into the ball. Probably great out of the bunker and they probably made it that way because high cappers tend to be inconsistent - steep and shallow - coming into the ball. But if you are consistently shallow, that says something.

It's up to you - you know your game.

You were fit into a T22 but did not tell us how you felt over the ball and how you performed with them.

They are a more compact blade for an 18 capper. But I don't know the reason for your 18 hc - is it driver, putter, irons, are you great around the green?

But when I was a 15-18 capper, I started with Cleveland 588 wedges - a blade with zero bounce - lol - when 0 bounce was popular but hell for your game. You are smart to get fit.

I don't know your goals. I find a bigger CB less playable, less precise but more forgiving. Looking at the MD CB, lots of offset, a full sole and W grind - it's apparently made with lots of effective bounce so you get some glide into the ball. Probably great out of the bunker and they probably made it that way because high cappers tend to be inconsistent - steep and shallow - coming into the ball. But if you are consistently shallow, that says something.

It's up to you - you know your game.
Well...I WISH I knew my game, but that is often where I struggle with all these "wedge selector" tools. "Name your 3 most important characteristics." And I sit there like, "I don't freaking know!?"

The T22's felt good to me honestly Desmond. I was able to hit them well and at the time I had no idea they were small and compact, I just took the club the fitter gave me and went after the ball. I don't feel like I hit them anymore inconsistently than my Maltby GW sitting in my bag, but I also didn't use them at all greenside for chipping. I'd like to tell myself I can't possibly be good enough to be playing such a players wedge, I wouldn't say my short game is awful, but I've been playing a 37* chipper so I just have nothing to compare it to.

My putting carries my handicap...

This is the post I needed to hear!

I couldn't find a single review of the HMP wedges. Did you find them a bit more forgiving then the Vokeys? Do you full swing your SW? And which are you primarily using for greenside chipping?

If these are playable enough for you at a 9 handicap, this might just be my answer.
Yes, they are more forgiving than Vokeys but still versatile. I did full and partial swings with both. I primarily use lower-lofted clubs for chipping but, yes, I used both for pitching. I actually liked those two wedges better than the rest of the HMP set (had the wrong shaft in them).

I think the MD CB should be considered. I think that they would lead to additional confidence in the short game, at least for the type of shots that you want to hit.

Have you looked at the Mizuno ES21 wedges? I believe they should offer more forgiveness than the T22 wedges. I played an earlier version before switching to Hogans and really like them.

I don't have the Hot Metal SW or LW, but I do have the GW and it's a good club. I mostly use it on full or 3/4 shots, but it's good around the green too. I'm pretty confident with that club in hand. Out of the choices you listed, I personally would go that route. They should be plenty forgiving and it adds consistency to your bag. BUT, I don't think the Mack Daddy would be bad either. Just depends on what you feel the most confident looking down at.

On the other hand, I have a Cleveland CBX2 54* and 58* and I can't say enough good things about those. Don't know if you've looked at them at all, but they have been fantastic for me. Lots of spin and very forgiving. I'll chip, pitch, hit full shots, whatever with those. I know you said you wouldn't use them out of sand, but my 58* has been money out of bunkers.

I would agree with most to consider blending. If you plan to full swing the SW the CB is probably a great option. If you’re not planning to full swing the 58 getting a specialty vokey might be a good idea. I’m a similar handicap and not a great ball striker and really like having a high loft high bounce specialty wedge for short game. I learned the hard way not to full swing that club but I feel it has really helped me improve my short game. It’s probably worth going in and spending some time chipping/pitching with the wedges rather than hitting full swings so you can get a feel for what you’re going to use them for.

Back