Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedges

The weight is the one thing that worries me. They do feel super light in hand. I like the shape of the head tho.

Adjusting can be done. If buying off the rack, start with lead tape, find swing weight you would like.

Have a 56 in graphite, same concern very light. Mixed results so far. But, haven't had the chance to play them much. They look good.

I was able to hit the 60* tonight in the sim. It felt really solid. I got some very good spin too. It may makes it's way into the bag in 2021.

Had mine had the swingweight checked and my 54° MDCB SW was heavier than my FF 60°

I bought a 52 and 58 for my girlfriend, who absolutely loves these wedges.

I typically go from a set AW to a 56, which leaves about a 20-25 yard distance gap with my Apex 21s. I’m fine with that gap and can usually take some off the AW with ease, but I decided to try and fill it for shorter courses. Ordered the 52 CB with the same shaft I have in my irons. LOVE it. Head definitely looks bigger at address than the Jaws wedges. Really liked chipping with it, but full swings is where it shined. I was all over the 100 yard sign all afternoon. I’d estimate I hit 20 balls with it. One thin and one shank, but 18 shots that looked nearly identical. I’m definitely putting this wedge in the bag for tomorrow’s round.

Finally got into some traps this week. Coming from the SGI Tour Edge, I was looking for a traditional shape with forgiveness. I played two perfect shots. The 3rd I was not sure, I was in a deep bunker and hit the lip. Overall, two good shots gives me confidence that this club will work. I still have some remorse not choosing the CBX2. I went with the MDCB as they were new and 10 dollars less. I thought the CBX2 was going to get discounted soon after I bought it.

I bought a 52 and 58 for my girlfriend, who absolutely loves these wedges.

I typically go from a set AW to a 56, which leaves about a 20-25 yard distance gap with my Apex 21s. I’m fine with that gap and can usually take some off the AW with ease, but I decided to try and fill it for shorter courses. Ordered the 52 CB with the same shaft I have in my irons. LOVE it. Head definitely looks bigger at address than the Jaws wedges. Really liked chipping with it, but full swings is where it shined. I was all over the 100 yard sign all afternoon. I’d estimate I hit 20 balls with it. One thin and one shank, but 18 shots that looked nearly identical. I’m definitely putting this wedge in the bag for tomorrow’s round.

the online pics make the hosel to face transition look kinda weird. did you find it to look a lot different than the regular md5 jaws wedge?

the online pics make the hosel to face transition look kinda weird. did you find it to look a lot different than the regular md5 jaws wedge?

Here are some side-by-sides:

C576E76F-9666-453D-A862-F2F2B041B965.jpeg46DAC3AC-227F-4EBA-988F-1DDB5E5C3D20.jpegBAF3FCDF-740C-4A0B-861F-EBBBB19AD44A.jpeg

52 was star of the show today. 2 chips: made one and left one just 6 inches short. Never had it into a green, but used it to layup or get back into position. Automatic 100-105 club for me.

I had a nice day with all my wedges on Sunday, but the shot I keep thinking about was with the 52* Mack Daddy CB. I hit a massive block on a long par 4, leaving me a long blind shot to a heavily protected green--pond, bunkers, runoffs on either sides. So I laid up with an 8i. Got back to the top of the hill to find my ball 100 yards from the pin, which was on the left side tucked behind a bunker. Short and left are dead. Took dead aim, landed it right next to the pin. Green was firm so had a big initial bounce, but I was left with 6-7 feet to save par after an embarrassingly bad tee shot. This club has become nearly automatic for me from 100-105. Love it.

Into my second month with the Mack Daddy CB's and still liking them a lot. Sort of like all the performance of the CBX2/CBX Full Face with 20% less clunkiness.

P.S. Clunkiness is a highly sophisticated technical term that I just made up.

Have mixed feelings on the MD CB 56 used for sand shot. Probably made a mistake getting a graphite shaft. Went with that for less vibration.

I picked up a set of the MD CB wedges in 52, 56, 60 to see if I could get some extra forgiveness in my wedge game after seeing the THP Tech Studio video on the Cleveland wedge test with Canadan. After JB’s post asking if we talked about our clubs on THP, I remembered I didn’t say anything about these. Figured this is good a place as any to put my thoughts on it.

Looks - it’s got a little junk in the trunk compared to blades, but they carry the weight well. I can’t tell anything’s different at address. I didn’t see a big difference between these and the Cleveland CBX wedge I had a brief stint with.

Numbers - launch was a within my normal range and spin was high 9k+ rpm. I had no problems in the launch monitor getting the ball to spin and stop or come back. Half wedges still gave me 8500+ rpm depending on the ball and strike. Forgiveness was there when I hit a few off the toe, costing me half a club at most.

Real World - I like to have a bit of fun with my wedges and hit flop shots when I don’t need to. The extra help doesn’t get in the way of hitting Mickelsonesque flops that get up high quick and land soft. Creativity won’t be impacted a bit. I’ve added a low spinny chip and pitch with my 56 and 52. It’s a shot I’ve always wanted to have and now I do. I full swing my wedges. Distance has been what I’d expect with some slight variations based on contact, but much better than I have been. I’ve been sticking the ball close to the pitch mark or sucking it back. That’s a new thing.

Bottom line - I’m not always hitting bullseyes, but either my short game has improved from not practicing for 3 years or these clubs are doing their jobs well. I wanted to give these wedges a shot since if our resident Iron Byron can benefit from CB wedges, I can only imagine how much better they’d work for a weekend hacker. Overall I’m impressed with them.

I picked up a set of the MD CB wedges in 52, 56, 60 to see if I could get some extra forgiveness in my wedge game after seeing the THP Tech Studio video on the Cleveland wedge test with Canadan. After JB’s post asking if we talked about our clubs on THP, I remembered I didn’t say anything about these. Figured this is good a place as any to put my thoughts on it.

Looks - it’s got a little junk in the trunk compared to blades, but they carry the weight well. I can’t tell anything’s different at address. I didn’t see a big difference between these and the Cleveland CBX wedge I had a brief stint with.

Numbers - launch was a within my normal range and spin was high 9k+ rpm. I had no problems in the launch monitor getting the ball to spin and stop or come back. Half wedges still gave me 8500+ rpm depending on the ball and strike. Forgiveness was there when I hit a few off the toe, costing me half a club at most.

Real World - I like to have a bit of fun with my wedges and hit flop shots when I don’t need to. The extra help doesn’t get in the way of hitting Mickelsonesque flops that get up high quick and land soft. Creativity won’t be impacted a bit. I’ve added a low spinny chip and pitch with my 56 and 52. It’s a shot I’ve always wanted to have and now I do. I full swing my wedges. Distance has been what I’d expect with some slight variations based on contact, but much better than I have been. I’ve been sticking the ball close to the pitch mark or sucking it back. That’s a new thing.

Bottom line - I’m not always hitting bullseyes, but either my short game has improved from not practicing for 3 years or these clubs are doing their jobs well. I wanted to give these wedges a shot since if our resident Iron Byron can benefit from CB wedges, I can only imagine how much better they’d work for a weekend hacker. Overall I’m impressed with them.
Love the chatter.

After a short stint with the CBX, what made you change? And what made you try a similar style club again?

Love the chatter.

After a short stint with the CBX, what made you change? And what made you try a similar style club again?

I think it was more of a new release coming out rather than anything negative with the CBX. I liked the CBX, I just liked trying new clubs more. The video with Canadan kind of reminded me that CB wedges exist and they can help. I also got a bit tired of telling myself that I had to be better with a wedge in hand. I still say it, just not as often.

I picked up a 52° MD CB from Callaway Preowned. As usual, their "like new" condition is exactly what it says, this club has never even been hit before! The face and sole are both completely pristine. I've been playing a 54° MD5 and while it's great for chipping, I don't feel as confident with it on full swings and as a result I usually fall back on a partial swing with my set AW rather than full swinging the 54°. The 54 also leaves a pretty big gap between it and my set AW (46°), so the 52° will tighten that up a bit as well as offering more forgiveness with the cavity back/perimeter weighting.

I didn't have a chance to do anything with it today other than unbox it and put it in the bag, but I'll be taking it out on the course tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out, new equipment is always fun!

First round today with the 52° MD CB - tl;dr is that I was way more comfortable with it than I should have been for the first time hitting a new club. It's a lot more forgiving than the 54° MD5, and the quality of my strikes were a lot better - and the results showed it. Not just full swings, I was getting my chips a lot closer to the hole too.

Before the MD5s, I played Cleveland RTX 588 CBs for a couple years and they just felt dead to me - I had no touch with them and couldn't feel where the strike was on the face. The MD CB feels much better - the impact feels solid and a good strike sounds good. I'm a lot more confident with it on full swings than I was with the MD5, and won't hesitate to pull it when the yardage calls for it rather than trying to baby a partial AW. Same with around the green - I still use (and love!) the 58° PM Grind for the short touch shots, but for anything longer than that I quickly developed a feel for the MD CB and felt confident with it. The course we were playing was Bermuda and I used it from a variety of lies from tight/bare to fluffy - the grind and bounce combination handled them all well. Glad I took a chance with the MD CB, it's a keeper in the bag!

I have a graphite shaft in my MD CB 56 and it has little feel. I keep buying the wrong shafts for my clubs.

Last edited:
I friend let me try her new Mack Daddy CBs today on the range. Love these clubs. Now the only issue is do I pick up a set for my own or wait to see what is offered in 2022.

I friend let me try her new Mack Daddy CBs today on the range. Love these clubs. Now the only issue is do I pick up a set for my own or wait to see what is offered in 2022.
If your golf season is winding down, there’s no harm in waiting. But it’s also a good club and the THPer in me says get one now. No wrong choice.

I bought a few used clubs at the end of the season because they were *exactly* what I think I needed as far as heads and shafts.
It seems to be a buyers market right now, so I got everything at reasonable prices.

I looked at buying new but there are still significant wait times...

I have a graphite shaft in my MD CB 56 and it has little feel. I keep buying the wrong shafts for my clubs.
I just went with the stock steel shaft that was in it (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 105). I don't have a lot of experience messing around with aftermarket shafts, and I've always gotten along pretty well with Callaway's shaft offerings. Without going and doing a fitting, I'd just waste a lot of money on trial and error. One round is a pretty small sample size, but I didn't notice anything objectionable about the KBS.

If or when are we going to see a new release of Mack Daddy CB wedges?

If or when are we going to see a new release of Mack Daddy CB wedges?
No idea but according to my local retailer, they were not at all popular when they were originally on the market. They still have quite a few of them lingering on the racks today.

I thought both the Sure Out for its target demographic and the CB wedges for the next stratum down from that were extremely well designed and executed products. Pity they both sank without a trace so quickly. I guess it is what’s used on Tour that move the needle for all these companies.

There is that big swath of players who have always gravitated toward the higher-end Callaway products (Big Bertha usually). Older guys with money and middling handicaps basically. For some reason, they seem more likely to play wedges from their iron set than to go with these much more reasonable CB wedges.

Back