Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

I’ve clocked into work contemplating the meaning of life and Mizuno woods….. certainly normal?

I spent my work day thinking about the Victory Cup and endless WITB possibilities. For whatever that is worth. 😇

I spent my work day thinking about the Victory Cup and endless WITB possibilities. For whatever that is worth. 😇
You’re not alone I’m sure!

I bought an ST-X with the Evenflow Riptide 5.5 CB today. I’ve lost enough clubhead speed that I wanted to see what a regular flex would do for me. I compared it to a Radspeed XD with the stock Motore shaft. I was hitting old range balls and the monitor wasn’t picking up every shot, but I could see the ball flights and the ST-X was giving me a nice ball flight without ballooning along relatively straight paths evenly spilt between slight fades and slight draws. Club and shaft both felt great. The Cobra, on the other hand, gave me more slices and only one or two baby draws. The Mizuno looked, souded, and felt great. Data seemed kind of squirrelly at times but i was seeing launch angles of aroud 16 and spun numbers around 2400.

Compared to my G400 Max the ST-X shots are istraighter, don’t balloon, and look to have lower spin. I’ll know more when I get to use my ball on both in a sim.

The store was having a season-end clearance, so with coupon, a trade-in of an old hybrid, and some rewards credits, I got it for $230 including tax, which made it an easy call.

I bought an ST-X with the Evenflow Riptide 5.5 CB today. I’ve lost enough clubhead speed that I wanted to see what a regular flex would do for me. I compared it to a Radspeed XD with the stock Motore shaft. I was hitting old range balls and the monitor wasn’t picking up every shot, but I could see the ball flights and the ST-X was giving me a nice ball flight without ballooning along relatively straight paths evenly spilt between slight fades and slight draws. Club and shaft both felt great. The Cobra, on the other hand, gave me more slices and only one or two baby draws. The Mizuno looked, souded, and felt great. Data seemed kind of squirrelly at times but i was seeing launch angles of aroud 16 and spun numbers around 2400.

Compared to my G400 Max the ST-X shots are istraighter, don’t balloon, and look to have lower spin. I’ll know more when I get to use my ball on both in a sim.

The store was having a season-end clearance, so with coupon, a trade-in of an old hybrid, and some rewards credits, I got it for $230 including tax, which made it an easy call.

Congratulations! New Club Day! Sounds like a promising start, enjoy.

Stock shot was a baby fade. Miss was a wicked draw unfortunately.

Interesting. Were you getting those hooks off the off heel-side, inferring from stock fade shape?

Heel side shots will fade, not hook.

That's fair. I live toe side but don't miss on the heel as much. I have not had as much trouble with over-draw, and I mostly play a draw which often the toe-hook is something that can flare up. So I was curious as to what was happening.

That's fair. I live toe side but don't miss on the heel as much. I have not had as much trouble with over-draw, and I mostly play a draw which often the toe-hook is something that can flare up. So I was curious as to what was happening.
The X is really well done MOI wise, which helps tame that toe-hook and heel-fade, they’re not non-existent, but they’re lesser than a lot of drivers I tested this year.

Interesting. Were you getting those hooks off the off heel-side, inferring from stock fade shape?
More kinda cross up shut the face pull draws.
Couldn't find a consistent draw path, fade was a bit better but not consistent enough and shaft change worsened it.
Would like to try the ST-z or g as I think they'd be a little more neutral.

I also think playing the speedzone prior forced me into a much more draw biased swing (for the opposite reason) and that wasnt favorable to the X.

More kinda cross up shut the face pull draws.
Couldn't find a consistent draw path, fade was a bit better but not consistent enough and shaft change worsened it.

I also think playing the speedzone prior forced me into a much more draw biased swing (for the opposite reason) and that wasnt favorable to the X.

That makes sense, I appreciate the detail 👊

Give it a swing. The face sits at 1 degree open on mine. I’ve feared the snap hook for awhile so my swing has changed to protect against it. The Z will go straight or fade all day for me. I think I can start making my typical driver swing again, I’ve just been dealing with the mental block that comes from having a really bad case of the snap hooks.

Picked up a ST-Z and waiting for Fed EX to sort the damn thing and get it here. It's been stuck in Sacramento for 3 days now.

Pu t the ST-x in play tonight in our sim league. Hit 5/7 fairways in standard settings, no change in distance, and straighter ball flight vs the G400 Max. Launch angles varied with tee height between 12 and 17 degrees. Saw huge differences in spin - ~3,800 with the e12 Contact vs ~2,400 with the Supersoft. Need to gather more data, but a good first round experience.

Picked up a ST-Z and waiting for Fed EX to sort the damn thing and get it here. It's been stuck in Sacramento for 3 days now.

i've heard it's a fun driver.

I’m imaging the STZ with the Atmos TS Black. 45 inches.

Pu t the ST-x in play tonight in our sim league. Hit 5/7 fairways in standard settings, no change in distance, and straighter ball flight vs the G400 Max. Launch angles varied with tee height between 12 and 17 degrees. Saw huge differences in spin - ~3,800 with the e12 Contact vs ~2,400 with the Supersoft. Need to gather more data, but a good first round experience.
Solid start

Seems short

I killed myself working on speed last year. I am not the fastest in the world but strike will over ride speed. I’ll find center more at 45 than My present 45.75

I had an impromptu lesson a few days ago that showed me I needed to make a setup change and hosel adjustment to see more potential out of the ST-Z driver. Hello, low spin, penetrating flight drives.

Heard a few comments from my playing partners about how straight and long my drives were. Free swings were met with beautiful drives with roll. Regular swings were met with nice drives with roll. Into a 15+ mph wind I didn’t see any ill effects. Add in the 33-42 degree temps and the distance I saw was that much more impressive. I saw between typical driver distance to 30+ yards in that weather.

Last edited:
I had an impromptu lesson a few days ago that showed me I needed to make a setup change and hosel adjustment to see more potential out of the ST-Z driver. Hello, low spin, penetrating flight drives.

Heard a few comments from my playing partners about how straight and long my drives were. Free swings were met with beautiful drives with roll. Regular swings were met with nice drives with roll. Into a 15+ mph wind I didn’t see any ill effects. Add in the 33-42 degree temps and the distance I saw was that much more impressive. I saw between typical driver distance to 30+ yards in that weather.
I need to try one of these.

ST-X was an animal today. Still wish it was lower lofted, but dammit it’s fun!

Sneak peek at tomorrow's Holiday Cheer prize....And it has a premium shaft in it too.

Sneak peek at tomorrow's Holiday Cheer prize....And it has a premium shaft in it too.

Nice, very solid driver. Has it all: Looks great, sounds great, performs great. Will be another happy THPer tomorrow.

Back