Potential vs Reality

Ben Hogan wrote "Anyone can shoot 80." So, if you're worse than 80, you've got at least that much potential. Of course, Ole Ben never saw me swing a club.

I agree and disagree with Thainer. If I birdie a hole I should be able to birdie it again. Of the 4 courses I play I have only birdied about 10 of the holes but I can never birdie them the next time I play. When I come to a hole I birdied the day before I'm still hoping to get atleast a par and I'm happy with a bogey.

I know the reality of my game if I was able to put in a few hours a week of practice I think I could be a high single or los double handicap. Right now I'm happy with how I'm playing and I know as the year goes on I will drop my handicap a few strokes.

I've only been playing golf for three years now and I have an above-average handicap. Honestly, I still learn something new each and every time I go out on the golf course. I'm constantly attempting to learn different shots, think my way through different situations, etc. So, I think I certainly have the potential to still become a much better player. I've never taken a single lesson and have fully taught myself how to play the game just by practice, practice, practice. I always wonder whether I should take a lesson and I'm still fully undecided. I have an unorthodox swing but it works for me most of the time. However, I would like to get a bit more distance on my drives. I hit my irons long but have a very average drive distance.

So, basically, I still have a ton of room for improvement. I'm happy with where I'm at but I think I have a wealth of potential. I'd love to eventually be a 4 or 5 handicapper.

For me, it is having the time to put in. With having a full-time job and an 8yr old with places I need to get him there is only so much time in the day. I usually try to hit the range at least 3 times a week, even if it is only for an hour, just to keep the swing going. If I can get two 9 hole rounds in in a week, I am happy. There is just not usually the time to spend 5 hours on the course, as much as I would like to. The rounds when I can see the improvement are the ones where I leave my phone in the car and only focus on the golf and unwinding for a little bit. Last week I shot a 44 on 9, and was constantly thinking about what else needed to be done, where I needed to be after the course, and constantly checking my phone. This Monday, I left my phone in the car and shot a 41, and left a couple shots on the course, but it was a much more enjoyable round. So, as far as my potential, my biggest issue is just focusing on the task at hand, and not worrying about everything else. When I get to the point where I can walk on a course and keep my mind off everything else, I will start seing my potential.

I think many people have more potential than what they give themselves credit for.
As for me, I don't doubt that I couldn't be a near scratch golfer if I worked hard enough at that goal. But, I've got far too many other hobbies (fishing, hunting, ATV riding) and a little girl at home that keep me away from the course and driving range. When I'm playing badly, it frustrates me that I'm not doing better and that I don't have the time to practice and really work on my game. That being said, at the end of the day, It doesn't bother me at all that I missed out on a little golf time in exchange for spending time with my family or doing something else that I enjoy.
A more realistic goal for me would be to be able to shoot in the 70's every now and then. Currently most of my rounds are in the mid - high 80's and my best 9 hole round is 37, so I do believe it's possible.

I'm with Thain and Paolo. I like the idea of potential being the best you have shot on a hole, but the reality being the final tally for 18. This idea gives me hope anyway, enough hope to keep going out there and try and bring the final tally down.

I know my potential is better than the reality of how I'm playing now. If I can have 5 pars (for 9 holes), why can't I have 9 pars? No reason except for stupid mental and/or physical mistakes, which can be avoided. I don't expect to ever shoot par for 18 holes, my best is 8 over, but I know I can do better than 8 over, probably 5 over.
I think it's the potential vs reality that keeps us coming back for more.

This is a great topic Gray!! I look at by the status of one's game. Personally, I think I am cable of being a bogey golfer, perhaps even a single digit. Sure, I am working on my consistency in my swing and it will come with time and practice (and lessons), but once that happens I think the sky is the limit. Case in point, I only hit one fairway this weekend, but from that fairway I made a good approach and made the GIR (I unfortunately missed the par putt, but the point remains). So I know I have the potential to be much better than my scores currently indicate. That gives me the hope to work past my current swing issues and get to where I know I can be. This game gets in your head and it can work to our benefit as well as our detriment.

This is a tricky topic to me. I want to shoot par for every round. I have never shot better than a 90. I feel like I can birdie most holes I play. I have had two this year.

If I get to golf, I am mostly likely with friends/family. As long as I get to be with the people who are special to me, that is what I care about most while golfing. If I shoot a 66, but have to spend the day with some @ssholes then it was a wasted day. If I shoot 100, but get to be with my wife and family, then the day was perfect. That's my reality.

Keep in mind that being a single digit player at a course and being a tour player is a HUGE difference. There are thousands and thousands of scratch players that have no chance on any tour.

I've seen my potential. At the beginning of the year I was striking the ball so well but the scores weren't showing. Granted they were still around 80, 78 I was hitting the ball like a 73 or 74. I could honestly say I was hitting the ball like a scratch golfer. During that time I said to myself that I could see myself getting to a 1 or a 2 this year.

Sadly I have completely lost my game now and have gone the other way, mostly playing at a 11 or 12 now. I can't find my swing.

Very interesting thread OG.

My reality is that I'm not naturally athletic, have two kids under age three, have to work for a living, don't love to practice or play alone, and don't have unlimited funds. Given those realities, I don't expect to become significantly better. Any day that I can break 90 is a good day, and if I would play the same courses more often (instead of a new one almost every time out), I could gain a few strokes in course management.

All depends on your goals. My "improvement" goal for this year is to not embarass myself at the Morgan Cup, so I have practiced more and my irons have improved dramatically...so there is proof that I have more potential, but without a shorter term goal like this, I don't have the long-term drive to get there at the time cost to do so. When my boys get to an age where they want to and can be out there with Dad, then I'll play more with them (and probably improve doing so).

Even as a bogey-golfer, I could tee up the ball anywhere on Earth and enjoy myself for a round. I absolutely love equipment, but I'm looking for what makes the ball go straightest now. One of the reasons that rounds with the THP gang are so fun is that there is no judgement on skill level. If you told me I had the choice between shooting 80 by myself, or 90 with the THP crew, I'd take the commraderie over the lower score.

I have the potential to be a good golfer, in reality I drink too much

With as much "fun" as you guys have at the outing, I view it as a remarkable ability that you can still make contact with the ball. A strong liver really is a gift.

:act-up:

I'll climb out on a limb and say that there are a lot more people in denial, than there are those that accept the fact that they will only ever be so good at golf.

With as much "fun" as you guys have at the outing, I view it as a remarkable ability that you can still make contact with the ball. A strong liver really is a gift.

:act-up:

hahahaha...man, I still shot a 95. Thats not too bad I guess. I only took double par 1 time. but I actually earned the double par. I had some incredible saves on some holes. Like a duffed tee shot, then a decent second. I also managed to hit a ball backwards, then hit Chunkylover on the next shot.

I'll climb out on a limb and say that there are a lot more people in denial, than there are those that accept the fact that they will only ever be so good at golf.

This I can understand, but I always want to believe that if I had the time and money I'd be pretty good too... but since I have neither, I will accept who I am as a player while trying to improve.

I was discussing this yesterday with my wife. Potential (assuming I put in absolute max practice time, etc); could maybe get down to a 5 HC. Reality - at the rate I am playing and practicing now, I could get down to a 9 probably at best and I would be very happy with that. If I could have some rounds break 80 and the rest hover around 82 I would be good!

Hahaha! You shot a 95 while hungover! Whats my excuse? :D

I know I have shot in the low 80's on several different courses in years past, but I have not been able to get there consistently. That is where I want to be. Where I can say I shoot in the low to mid 80's regardless of where I am playing, and where 90 is a bad round. Now, Yorkem's Friend tells me that when I get there I will not be satisfied, and I will be pushing to break into the 70's, and that may be true, but I would sure like to find out for myself, and I think I will. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

I don't know what my potential is Gray. I shot a -1 for nine holes. I never thought I could do that. The other day I hit a 270 yard drive. I never thought I could do that either. So lurking somewhere within in me is the potential to play good golf. Given that, I'm not willing to settle for mid-80s golf. That said I've broken 80 three times this year. So yes, I do get frustrated when I shoot in the high 80s or low 90s, because I know I can do better than that. I'm not willing to settle for that because that's not my reality.

We all strive to get better at golf.................. the game could be so much more pleasurable.

I used to get so upset on the course I was not fun to be around, after realizing how stupid I looked I decided things need to change. After accepting I'm never going to be a great golfer and just telling myself over and over that bogeys are perfectly acceptable for my game skills I enjoy the game much more and am actually improving my scores, I am mentally calmer and one blowup hole doesn't turn into a horrendous stretch of holes. Don't shoot many birdies these days but I have been stringing more pars together lately.

Great topic, I think if I set my goals a bit lower and closer to the reality of my game it would make playing more fun. At the same time part of the fun of golf for me is practice and trying to better my game. Finding a happy medium with expectations and practicing toward certain goals might be just what my game needs at this point.

For me knowing that I used to be able to shoot low 80's consistently, and now being basically a bogey golfer is very very frustrating. Cause I know at least have the potential to be that good again....I think. :)

That is the hardest part for me, in my thirties it was so easy to shoot in the 80s, now close to 90 is good. Hard to accept reality.

The reality is that potential is endless. There is no height that can't be reached given the proper coaching, fitness regimen, mental coaches, and assuming good health. Potential is only limited by the amount of effort and sacrifice to the game. So of course, the real trick is making one's potential a reality.

Now, I don't have pie in the sky dreams of making the tour. I do think I can become scratch, but probably not for 5-6 years of hard work. I have always joked with my wife that our retirement will be the Senior tour, and if that happens, awesome, if not, no worries from me.

I think lofty goals are great, but one has to give himself stepping stones on the way up. As long as one's step-goal is attainable in a reasonable time period, then one can always move up in golf. For instance, I have a goal of making the cut at the Iowa Amateur Open in 3 years. That's going to require about +8 after 36 holes. Can I do it now, no. Can I do it in the future, yes, I can. Between now and then, I have several steps which reach general goals. In my mind, I'm always improving, even on bad days, because I'm always reaching my steps up to larger goals. As long as I keep reaching my goals, I will eventually make that cut.

In my mind, it's not whether one's potential has a cap, it is whether one recognizes and accepts that one's potential is limited by effort and time.

One could go on for pages, but I think I'll end it there. In my mind it's not whether

Back